OSTIE is offline Senior Member

Wireless internet at home...

Have a question bout settin up wireless internet, sorta. Right now me and my bro live in a duplex, upstairs above our parents. We share the internet right now by having the router downstairs in the basement. We then ran cable up the side of the chimney and through the walls to a jack, downstairs for them and upstairs for us. I have a desktop which is plugged into my internet jack now, but I also have a wireless equipped laptop for school. I would like to be able to go on the internet on the laptop but still have my desktop be on the internet as well WITHOUT splitting the cable cord.

Is there any sort of antenna I could purchase to plug into the internet jack on my wall, so I can go wireless off that?

I dont want to get a wireless router, because even though my desktop and laptop are wireless equipped, I would have to spend my own money to make everyones pc wireless in the house.

Thanks,

-ost

Elliot is offline Anabolic Member

IronCy is offline Senior Member
    arent those for existing wireless setups? or can you plug one of those access points into the existing wired network?....I was under the impression you needed a wireless router to add an access point.
    -Cy

OSTIE is offline Senior Member
    I was questioning the same thing too.... whether I can connect my wired network to the access point and then be able to use atleast my laptop off of there wirelessly.

Anyone shed some light for me?

DevilsDeity is offline Anabolic Member
    access points do just that give you a point of access
    i have a wired 4 port router and in one of the ports i connected a 3com wireless access point all works just fine

Buy a wireless router. Most have a WLAN port, 4 LAN wired ports + 1 wireless port (if you go 802.11b you can buy a Linksys bef11w which is 10mbps wireless + 4 wired 100mbps ports for under $50).

Plug the cable/DLS modem in the WLAN port and plug the hardwired computers in the 4 available LAN ports (this replaces your hardwired-only router), then you can also access the net via your laptops wireless lan card.

Just make 110% sure you secure your wireless router!!! (at the very least you must change default password and enable WEP encryption)

Red
    Last edited by Red Ketchup; 09-13-2004 at 04:40 PM.

Thread Information