Commando_Barbi is offline AR's Arresting Angel Vet

New record bench press

Sailors Sets World Record in Bench Press
    By Journalist 1st Class (SW) Jay Cope
    Navy News Service
    September 01, 2004

NEW ORLEANS -- Navy Counselor 1st Class James Burdette attached to Patrol Squadron (VP) 94, set a new world record in the 181-pound weight class Aug. 14 with a bench press of 540 pounds. The record lift was made while he was competing in the American Powerlifting Association sanctioned Panhandle Open in Mobile, Ala.

Burdette competes in the drug tested open category. His meet winning lift in that category broke the previous record for that classification by 15 pounds. Burdette also lifted 500 pounds in the squat competition and 505 pounds in the deadlift event for a competition total of 1,545 pounds. His event total was second only to a lifter competing in the 308-pound weight class.

Burdette's previous best in competition was 520 pounds, but he surpassed that in his workouts in preparing for the competition and had told the organizers of the event that he was confident he could break the record at their meet.

He's hardly done, though, as he has his sights set on passing the 565 pound record bench press in the non-drug tested category for his weight class. If Burdette is successful, the 181-pound weight class would be the only one where the drug tested lift is higher than the non-drug tested.

"I want to show that you don't need the "juice,'" he said, referring to performance enhancing drugs. "In the long run, they're bad for your body, and you can reach the same levels with just a little more time and dedication."

But even the 565-pound record is not his ultimate goal. Burdette hopes to exceed 600 pounds in his current weight class, and possibly move up to the 198-pound weight class and shoot for 700 pounds. While those goals could take years to achieve, Burdette doesn't mind, because lifting has become pure fun for him.

He works out five days a week at the Naval Air Station Joint Reserve Base New Orleans physical fitness center, including a three mile jog each morning and an average of two and one-half to three hours of lifting in the afternoons.

But he says the meets are where the enjoyment really is.

"With most sports, there is a lot of negativity towards your opponents. Powerlifting has a different mentality," said Burdette. "Everyone pulls for each other. You want to see everyone exceed their personal best, because you only want to beat a guy on his best day."

Burdette's next competition is in Houston, Sept. 18, where he is hoping to break his newly set record.
    1. Once a cheat always a cheat!
    2. YES, SHE can get pregnant the first time!
    3. NO, PULLING out IS NOT a RELIABLE method of Birth Control. DAMMMMIT..... Wrap that shyte UP!!

Women over 30 are dignified. They seldom have a screaming match with you at the opera or in the middle of an expensive restaurant. Of course, if you deserve it, they won't hesitate to shoot you, if they think they can get away with it.

For all those men who say, "Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free". Here's an update for you. Nowadays 80% of women are against marriage, why? Because women realize it's not worth buying an entire Pig, just to get a little sausage.

What the mind can conceive....the body will achieve!

hung-solo is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Commando_Barbi
    Sailors Sets World Record in Bench Press
    By Journalist 1st Class (SW) Jay Cope
    Navy News Service
    September 01, 2004

NEW ORLEANS -- Navy Counselor 1st Class James Burdette attached to Patrol Squadron (VP) 94, set a new world record in the 181-pound weight class Aug. 14 with a bench press of 540 pounds. The record lift was made while he was competing in the American Powerlifting Association sanctioned Panhandle Open in Mobile, Ala.

Burdette competes in the drug tested open category. His meet winning lift in that category broke the previous record for that classification by 15 pounds. Burdette also lifted 500 pounds in the squat competition and 505 pounds in the deadlift event for a competition total of 1,545 pounds. His event total was second only to a lifter competing in the 308-pound weight class.

Burdette's previous best in competition was 520 pounds, but he surpassed that in his workouts in preparing for the competition and had told the organizers of the event that he was confident he could break the record at their meet.

He's hardly done, though, as he has his sights set on passing the 565 pound record bench press in the non-drug tested category for his weight class. If Burdette is successful, the 181-pound weight class would be the only one where the drug tested lift is higher than the non-drug tested.

"I want to show that you don't need the "juice,'" he said, referring to performance enhancing drugs. "In the long run, they're bad for your body, and you can reach the same levels with just a little more time and dedication."

But even the 565-pound record is not his ultimate goal. Burdette hopes to exceed 600 pounds in his current weight class, and possibly move up to the 198-pound weight class and shoot for 700 pounds. While those goals could take years to achieve, Burdette doesn't mind, because lifting has become pure fun for him.

He works out five days a week at the Naval Air Station Joint Reserve Base New Orleans physical fitness center, including a three mile jog each morning and an average of two and one-half to three hours of lifting in the afternoons.

But he says the meets are where the enjoyment really is.

"With most sports, there is a lot of negativity towards your opponents. Powerlifting has a different mentality," said Burdette. "Everyone pulls for each other. You want to see everyone exceed their personal best, because you only want to beat a guy on his best day."

Burdette's next competition is in Houston, Sept. 18, where he is hoping to break his newly set record.

308 lbs naturally! thats a biiiig boy! he needs to be in the nfl not the **** navy! well unless he is well....... you know! j/k!

inheritmylife is offline Anabolic Member
    He's in the 181 lb weight class. I'd like to see his bench shirt.

hung-solo is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hung-solo
    308 lbs naturally! thats a biiiig boy! he needs to be in the nfl not the **** navy! well unless he is well....... you know! j/k!
    where did i get 308?? ah nevermind

Commando_Barbi is offline AR's Arresting Angel Vet
    Pretty amazing. I'd like to see that. See not all sailors are fat lazy slobs
    1. Once a cheat always a cheat!
    2. YES, SHE can get pregnant the first time!
    3. NO, PULLING out IS NOT a RELIABLE method of Birth Control. DAMMMMIT..... Wrap that shyte UP!!

Women over 30 are dignified. They seldom have a screaming match with you at the opera or in the middle of an expensive restaurant. Of course, if you deserve it, they won't hesitate to shoot you, if they think they can get away with it.

For all those men who say, "Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free". Here's an update for you. Nowadays 80% of women are against marriage, why? Because women realize it's not worth buying an entire Pig, just to get a little sausage.

What the mind can conceive....the body will achieve!

juicehoe is offline Anabolic Member
    thats a sweet bench. Im in that same weight class, so thats mind blowing!

PurePower is offline Senior Member
    For the APA that is a world record. There are numerous powerlifting federations. The "real" powerlifting federation is the IPF, the world record for the 181lb weight class in the IPF is 555. 540 is still an AWESOME bench press none the less. But it was done with a triple ply bench shirt. Verses a single ply in the IPF.

http://www.powerlifting-ipf.com/
    All weights and weight classes are in kilos, to get lbs multiply the kilo by 2.2 to get lbs.

-PurePower

MIKE_XXL is offline SCAMMER
    WOW that's impressive!

nathanw21 is offline Member
    how tall is this guy?

Benches505 is offline 75% HGH 25% Testosterone
    <~~~~I was doing this until I learned about the bench shirt.I just can't understand why those things are even allowed.

Dude-Man is offline Anabolic Member
    is IPF drug tested?

decadbal is offline Banned
    hes strong bc of all the marines who raped him... fightin em off...lol

brian11 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Commando_Barbi
    Sh!t, so much for a 45-60 min workout huh?

Phillyboy1 is offline Anabolic Member
    f-ck bench shirts. might as well use rubber bands to help pull the weight off of your chest

BDTR is offline Retired
    ****nnnnnn, one of my training partners is natural at 203 and benches 500 for a double, raw. I gotta get him into PL and juice.

Spoon is offline 'Lurker at the threshold'
    thats superhuman!

slizzut is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jcstomper
    f-ck bench shirts. might as well use rubber bands to help pull the weight off of your chest

My thoughts exactly.

Benches505 is offline 75% HGH 25% Testosterone
    Quote Originally Posted by jcstomper
    I was starting to think I was the only one against them. And the rubber band analogy fits perfect hope you don't mind if I borrow it now and then <~~~No bench shirt

Spoon is offline 'Lurker at the threshold'
    i agree bench shirts should be banned for record lifts.

63190 is offline Anabolic Member
    I work out for 2-3 hours. I used to bench 280 at 190lbs raw.

Phillyboy1 is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 63190
    I work out for 2-3 hours. I used to bench 280 at 190lbs raw.
    dont work out so much, your bench may go up. it sounds like your over training. just for a examble im 182lbs and max 355 raw, and im not strong by any means. i train chest once a week for about 3 minutes with a total of about 12 sets

Thread Information