juicedawg13 is offline New Member

Question federal testing policies for truck drivers

one of my workout partners drivers fuel trucks. to get a job they do mandatory drug testing. i don't think they test for juice but he is worried. his stack is di-bol and sus. is there a chance he might get caught? if he does he can never drive fuel rigs again.

TNT
    TNT is offline Retired Moderator

DOT Drug Testing

Truck drivers are tested in one of four ways: Pre-employment (drug only), Reasonable Suspicion (drug and/or alcohol), Post-Accident (drug and alcohol), and Random (drug or drug and alcohol). Post-accident drug and alcohol testing is required if a driver is in an accident in which (1) he or she is cited, (2) there is a severe injury or fatality, or (3) either vehicle must be towed from the scene. The random test is the most likely scenario in which a safe driver is likely to be tested, since all companies are required to enroll their drivers in a pool, and 50% of that pool must be tested each year for drugs, 10% for alcohol. A driver may be tested several times or never at all; it all depends on the randomized draw from the pool, and each drawing must include all drivers.

Having said all that, when a drug test does occur, the DOT requires a standard five-panel drug screen. The five items that this screen tests for are marijuana, cocaine, opiates, amphetamines, and phenycyclidine.

The DOT does not require testing for anabolic steroids , nor is there any scenario under which the FMCSR (Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations, specifically parts 40 and 382) would require AS testing. In fact, an employer may test for other substances only under very limited circumstances under FMCSR sec. 40.21(b).

spmffl is offline New Member
    When i go to get a CDL Motor Vehicles will test me for drugs. will they tet me for steriods ? also a freind of mine when he went for a driving job he said the form he signed when he had to get drug tested said thathey were testing for steriods. could this be true?

PTbyJason is offline Retired Admin
    no spmffl, truck drivers are not tested for steroids

TNT
    TNT is offline Retired Moderator

Cool Response to spmffl

I suggest that you check your facts again. A friend of mine just switched his CDL (Class A) from Pennsylvania to New York, and all he had to do was a vision test and the HazMat knowledge test.

To my knowledge, no state requires a drug test to issue a CDL. The drug test is the responsibility of each prospective employer (see my more complete post earlier in this thread that specifies the four instances in which an employer must test). This is a federal requirement, not a state requirement; although individual states may implement tougher requirements, few of them do so - while states are charged with enforcement, they rely on the federal regulations.

Additionally, you will also have a urine test when you go for youe D.O.T. physical exam. This is neither for steroids nor for drugs, but for general health (primarily for urine sugar). The physical exam is required by most schools before they will put you behind the wheel, and you must have a C.M.E. (Certificate of Medical Examination, usually good for two years) to drive. Again, however, most states will not require this - it usually happens at the school level or the employer level.

As for your friend, what would specifically make him believe they were testing for steroids? I've never heard of this being done; in fact, most companies want to do the minimum testing they can. Your friend may hve interpreted a general statement about a drug test to include AS, but this is incorrect. And, even if a company included steroids in their list to protect their right to test if they ever wanted to, I doubt that they would do it routinely - AS testing is simply too expensive.

Incidentally, the form he signed probably said not only that he acknowledged the drug testing requirement, but also provided permission for the prospective employer to request copies of any previous drug tests - again, an FMCSR requirement.

In summary: If you want to drive a CMV, you will be tested by your employer when you are hired, but you should not be tested by the state DMV when you get your CDL. So don't sweat that - just work on the knowledge exams and make sure you've got all your bases covered.

The bottom line is that, if you want to drive a truck, you can use AS. Just don't smoke any weed or drop any drugs that are covered by the DOT/FMCSR testing requirements, or - if you work for a company that is following the law - you will be out on your ass to the extent that you'd better find another career.

(Having said that, I have seen several companies that do not follow the FMCSR regs on testing. If DOT finds them, they'll be hit with big-time fines, but there are many companies out there that are not in compliance.)

spmffl is offline New Member
    thanks a lot. the drug test i was talking about was i have to go get my physical. i said DMV but DOT is what i meant. thanks for all your help

troycom is offline New Member
    All states do a physical and drug test b4 a cdl is issued (read ur hANDbook)also employers must give a state administered drug test and physical(medical card given)b4 employed.not only do they not test for roids ,but they CANT test u for roids under the law,if they do they can be held liable .my two cents

Thread Information