SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame

Finally, he's coming back......

Wow...........finally, what a long ass road. Not quite all the way back to "home base", but I can finally see it in plain view, and no longer have to look on a map to see what direction I am heading in. What the hell am I talking/babbling about now, right? Well, read on............

Yesterday I did chest/sh/tri's. Did lots of pre-exhuast stuff, trying to shock my muscles, etc. I was in the gym thinking about life, the future, the past, etc. Thinking about how hard it's been to recover from surgery and to get my knees back to where they need to be in order to "complete" my look. I could recall the multitude of days that I had very bad mental "states of mind", simply because my d*mn knees affected everything I was doing. My love, my past-time, my hobby, my business, my LIFE! My life was scarred........far worse scars than the ones that lace both of my kneecaps, in the form of two 5 inch incisions.

I sat there during my rest intervals, massaging the scar tissue on both knees, I find myself doing that now every chance I get. I was a bit too cautious in recovery, simply because of the severity of what happened to BOTH of my legs, and the thought of never walking again. I did as I was told post-op, to not do anything "stupid" until the internal sutures were no longer holding everything together, and to avoid pulling out any of the 4 anchors in the bottom of my knee-caps. Remembering how it felt to have my lower legs fold back uncontrollably onto my hamstrings, was more than enough motivation to not do anything, and be extra cautious. So, leg immobilizers it was, and for a good deal of time! You all remember those pics, if not, I still have them.

Good side here was that I avoided ripping out the anchors and/or tearing sutures. So, no need for another surgery to attach things again, and have to wait all over again w/even worse recovery the 2nd time around. Bad side here is that SO MUCH SCAR TISSUE built up 360 degrees around both tendons due to me not getting into at least some "mild" action when it was medically okay to do so, that flexion and the ability of the tendon to move/slide as it needs to, is "not allowed" due to all of the hard scar tissue. I tell you it's like CONCRETE!!! I was a bit too cautious in moving too soon, but again no one told me "when" to begin to exercise, and I had that horrid rememberance that made me not really want to move.

So! I now fight the battle of time and scar tissue and impeccable training and stretching and ultrasonic massage, and I just introduced a TENS unit to my knees 2 times per day, started this a.m. I have a theory on how this will speed the healing, as it's a frequency much like the "massager" I was told to use, however it has the ability to cover all areas at once, and I can be on the cpu!! I don't have to hold the hand help massager, although I will also continue to do that. So, my legs look pretty good, I can see more definition/seperation every week as the scar tissue allows more of my muscle to be recruited to flex, as there was a point in time where only the upper part of my quads would move! I thought I wouldn't atrophy a lot, then after 2-3 months I guess I got used to how everything looked/felt, because it did not appear that I had gotten smaller. Well, B.S., because I soon realized when I was training that I had lost a lot of what I had. I was forced to use my hamstrings when I could not bend my knees in those immobilizers, so my hams have DEFINITELY gotten quite a bit bigger, that makes me happy. But my quads had suffered, and the teardrop was gone!!!!! The outer sweep, GONE!!! Quads are NOW back to where they were about 3/4 of the leg, the only part still healing and that I am busting ass on now, is the outer portion by the kneecaps.......the "sweep" is there, but it needs to be bigger, and will only do so if I get that scar tissue GONE so all muscle can flex/build/get worked to get bigger. The teardrops I have all back, and they are already cryin'!! Those suckers came back fast, and I need those strong as well to keep my kneecaps in line w/my legs. It's amazing how fast the size has come back (I still need more but I speak of the pace that it's returning as the knee gets better), so I know I'll continue to grow as I heal. One benefit of being bigger before is that when you atrophy, once you begin to work that part out again, it "arrives" about 10 times faster than when you first "built" it.

So, part of my rambling point ----> I'm still re-habbing my knees daily from the surgery I had done on both. However, I can see that around the new year or so (nothing definitive), I should be able to produce some pictures that really showcase dedication, and dedication through straight TRAGEDY. Hell, I may write a REHAB BOOK for those who suffer major injuries.......how to cope, what to do mentally more-so than physically, what the games you have to play are, how you'll deal w/shrinking, etc. It's bullsh*t to have to go through if you love this lifestyle, it REALLY IS!!!

Then, the killer w/image and all. It sucks when everyone around you tells you that you look great, you get re-assurance daily from friends/gym-goers/people in grocery stores, etc. that you look great, and that you are "different" from what is the norm at all times, usually wherever you are.
    Many of you know how that feels and can relate.
    To me, all of that hasn't mattered one d*mn bit. Just yesterday (I put this on my life) some guy at my gym who just moved here from Fresno, said, "F*ck dude, you look like a f*ckin' statue.....your shoulders are crazy, and your guns, crazy proportions. Do you compete?"

I smiled and said, "Nah, I ain't nuthin'........yeah, I did compete though, right now I'm re-habbin' the knees". Then went on to explain to him the story, much like I am doing here. My point: I wasn't even able to accept a compliment! I haven't been able to do that lately. I used to get those comments/compliments, and believe them. Not cocky, just confident and full of fire. My accident took that all away. Not the compliments, but the belief that I did look good. The belief that I did have "crazy proportions", etc. Then, I realized on the way home that I liked the fact that this gentleman's compliments meant NOTHING to me, because it gives me that fire. When only I can make myself happy and like how I look, I've got that fire. That fire has returned when it gets to that point, and I hadn't been to that point in over 15 months, my body simply would not allow it, and when it did, I didn't know it!

Well, that's exactly how it is right about f*ckin' now. I've got that fire.

It's leg day America.

~SC~
    Last edited by SwoleCat; 09-18-2004 at 01:46 PM.

Mart651 is offline The Redneck Queen of the Lounge
    I haven't had the fire since my surgery either. i know how you feel bro.
    It seems like you can see the light at the end of the tunnel and thats good because the fire is right after that.

Will_1 is offline Associate Member
    Good luck on your recovery Swole.

cb25 is offline Banned
    Nice.

Good to see you kicking again swole...be careful (i know you will) but give 'em hell!

oh yea...and good idea on the book...probably would do well. i know i'd read it!

SMYL_GR8 is offline Senior Member
    SC,

All I can say is that you seem very mentally tough and resilient. You could be looking at what life TOOK from you, but you instead choose to look at what it WILL GIVE you.

I had a middle back hernia which made doing shoulders and back impossible and everything else difficult because every time I held my breath, it felt like I was getting stabbed in the back, not to mention I'm a dentist and spent five hours a day with my neck and back flexed. Vioxx became my multivitamin but I fought through it and now it's tolerable.

I had to drag myself to the gym and wanted to call in sick to work everyday, but I just kept telling myself "I can either take a step forward, step back or stay where I am and I'M NOT STAYING!"

Just keep stepping forward bro, no matter how small the steps.

Besides, your story is BS. We all know ANDROIDS don't have tendons!

khurrams is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SMYL_GR8

Besides, your story is BS. We all know ANDROIDS don't have tendons!

Agreed!!!!.......U know u kick ass regardless!!!!! Hope u recover 100% soon!!!!

LOL @ android........thanks fellaz!

~SC~

Phillyboy1 is offline Anabolic Member
    good luck bro, i had knee surgery in both knees at a teen, now im doing fine. youll get over the hump, just take it slow and let the knees adapt

Big Slick is offline Associate Member
    Good luck bro. Rehab sucks, but we all know it's worth it.

Ryanhallmark is offline Senior Member
    Wow..I enjoyed reading that...Good Luck buddy.

Kato is offline Member
    good read sc.

what was the "accident" you speak of?

craneboy is offline Senior Member
    you are strong willed and your dedication shows im sure you will acheive your goals

rambo is offline The Lord God
    Your post couldn't have come at a better time for me. Thanks Swole.

SMYL_GR8 is offline Senior Member
    Some dunk contest, right SC? And they say WHITE MEN CAN'T JUMP! NONSENSE!

palme is offline Rosie Member
    Your an inspiration swole, good luck with the recovery, someone with your dedication always succed.

Quote Originally Posted by SMYL_GR8
    Some dunk contest, right SC? And they say WHITE MEN CAN'T JUMP! NONSENSE!
    Yeah, a dunking accident of all things.

It was a blessing though, as next day was leg day/squats.

I'd have been crushed by that weight, and probably dead/paralyzed, so it happened for a reason.

As strange as THAT sounds.

~SC~

partyboynyc is offline Anabolic Member

swole you know i've got your back

i have no doubt that you will be back in top form in the shortest time possible. keep that fire, be patient, and do what you do brother!!you are not the man to count out and everyone knows what you are capable of when you're 100%. i looking forward to seeing you back on top of your game and looking like new money!!

Thanks brutha!

~SC~

MIKE_XXL is offline SCAMMER
    I have been recovering from mental block after my last show which i peak for 1 week early and looked like shiat the day of the show, i didn't even want to go on stage but i did anyway...i have been battling this for almost a year now i was ready to quit this working out al together, but it finally struck me last month and i got it all back, my training is finally going well and i should be back up to my regural self in no time, i have lost around 20-30lbs and people i know are asking me if i still workout that's enought to drive me now...i will be back in no time now...i know it's nothing to campare to you Swole with your surgery...but that's been my battle...

ON another hand i know you will back in time as well, you are a hard worker, your phisique speaks tons about your work ethic in the gym...and you know your shiat...wishing you a fast recovery...XXL

GQSuperman is offline Banned

both knees

you f'ed up both knees in a dunking accident? what happened? was there some problem before hand you didn't know of? i've heard of one knee going in all sorts of sporting accidents....hell, it seems like every one of my old college football buddies have had one of their knees done (something i was fortunate to avoid), but both....that seems rare. would suck IMO.

I had tendonitis in the patella area on BOTH knees from extensive b-ball from age 15 to about 25. Lots of black-top b-ball, jumpsoles, track (sprinting), etc. It all took it's toll on the tendons.

I went to do a two-hand/two-foot dunk. Ran toward the basket full speed, stopped and planted, went to explode upward, quads fired and pulled up on the kneecaps, and WHAM!!!!!!!

The kneecaps snapped off the patellar tendons, moved almost half way up my thigh, and I had two big craters in the middle of my legs where my knee-joint "used" to be.

It sucking doesn't even begin to describe this injury.

~SC~

bluethunder is offline Anabolic Member
    The hardest part is dealing with scar tissue. My left knee was operated on 10 yrs ago and now experiencing some arthritis as I have no cartiledge. Scar tissue helps block needed blood flow with nutrients/oxygen to help recover tendons and they already get less flow normally. The 10's unit may temp help allieviate pain but I doubt it will assist in recovery. I used to repair them when I was in the Army. There are some products out there that uses the same princible of pulsating electric current but they are of different frequencies and wavelengths ,duration bases on what type of nerve fibers it's trying to help. My guess is your workout routine and knowledge of nutrition is your greatest ally. Good luck

Surferboy is offline Associate Member
    Good luck bro! I'm sure you'll come out ahead. You need to get your legs back so you can kick some more azz!

Quote Originally Posted by bluethunder
    The hardest part is dealing with scar tissue. My left knee was operated on 10 yrs ago and now experiencing some arthritis as I have no cartiledge. Scar tissue helps block needed blood flow with nutrients/oxygen to help recover tendons and they already get less flow normally. The 10's unit may temp help allieviate pain but I doubt it will assist in recovery. I used to repair them when I was in the Army. There are some products out there that uses the same princible of pulsating electric current but they are of different frequencies and wavelengths ,duration bases on what type of nerve fibers it's trying to help. My guess is your workout routine and knowledge of nutrition is your greatest ally. Good luck
    The pain is fine, I have no pain at all..........ever.........just stiffness like mad. The tens at a low frequency is supposed to help break up the scar tissue, along w/the ultrasonic massager. So far the "rubber band" feeling over the kneecaps is subsiding, so it must be doing something right.

At least I would hope.

~SC~

Commando_Barbi is offline AR's Arresting Angel Vet
    You are a true inspiration Swole
    1. Once a cheat always a cheat!
    2. YES, SHE can get pregnant the first time!
    3. NO, PULLING out IS NOT a RELIABLE method of Birth Control. DAMMMMIT..... Wrap that shyte UP!!

Women over 30 are dignified. They seldom have a screaming match with you at the opera or in the middle of an expensive restaurant. Of course, if you deserve it, they won't hesitate to shoot you, if they think they can get away with it.

For all those men who say, "Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free". Here's an update for you. Nowadays 80% of women are against marriage, why? Because women realize it's not worth buying an entire Pig, just to get a little sausage.

What the mind can conceive....the body will achieve!

kc
    kc is offline Female Member

it's good to know...

that you're gettin that fire back. It's reassuring to me to know that it does come back. All I know is that trying to continue life at it's normal pace, in the gym and out without that fire is next to impossible. So good luck man!

Thanks CB and KC!

~SC~

slamd097 is offline Banned
    Inspiration...and needed..thank you, like Rambo said, timing was perfect..

shootdeep is offline Member
    hey swole, thanks for posting that. it was a good read for me because i had shoulder surgery in march and it's been a long summer. i'm just getting ready to hit the gym again and i have to have the other one done in december. it sucks when the doc tells you 8 weeks and it turns out to be more like 20. isn't it great when people tell you that you're gettin pretty skinny?! i figure i'll hit the gym and do what i can before the next repair and i'll be ahead of the game for next summer. thanks again bro.

Shoulders scare me too!! Totally dislocated my left one THREE times in 5 months.

So far I'm all good, but man, PAIN!!!!!

~SC~

Animal Cracker is offline Anabolic Member
    Good luck, working through it!
    I am still nursing my shoulder after the surgery I had back in May..keeping it mild, plus a bit a HGH will keep me idling umtil I feel it is the time to get back in the swing! I hope that this fall I will get the itch and feel that the time is right!

Thread Information