Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    chevy44 is offline Member

need everyones point of view on "life after death".. for a paper

hay guys i have a paper due next week and i chose to write it on the ways different people, or religion explain life after death...so if you guys can give your .02 that would be greatly appreciated... thanx

BDTR is offline Retired
    The after life = decay, replenish the earth and repeat.

Mart651 is offline The Redneck Queen of the Lounge
    Mine is a Christian beliefe. I get to go to heaven while BDTR replineshes the earth. I guess we all have our place in life or should I say death.

BDTR is offline Retired
    Didn't you know being a transvestite is a sin?

Quote Originally Posted by Mart651
    Mine is a Christian beliefe. I get to go to heaven while BDTR replineshes the earth. I guess we all have our place in life or should I say death.

Quote Originally Posted by bdtr

I was born this way. How can that be a sin?

Oh BTW put in your will that i get your remains. Your big ass will make great fertilizer for my garden.

Mr. Death is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bdtr

I'm with BDTR on this one. When you die you are worm food. That's about it.

Big Slick is offline Associate Member
    I like to think we come back as spirtits-fly around, scare people, watch naked chicks...you know **** like that

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Death
    I'm with BDTR on this one. When you die you are worm food. That's about it.
    Hear hear.... you die and it's over.... nothing more... nothing less...

Red

Cali is offline Female Member
    Yep, when you die you're dead. If you were able to come back as a spirit or whatever else people believe, someone would have surely come back and haunted me for as many people as I've known die in my lifetime.

Tock is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chevy44
    hay guys i have a paper due next week and i chose to write it on the ways different people, or religion explain life after death...so if you guys can give your .02 that would be greatly appreciated... thanx

How folks explain life after death, huh?
    First, they gotta have some reason to suppose that there IS life after death. I've never seen any evidence to support the notion of "souls" or places for souls to go to. No one has ever seen one, measured one, except unstable folks and in movies--and I know for sure that I've never seen one, and don't know anyone who has.

I have seen lots of animals die, decompose, and their molecules become absorbed by plants and worms and etc, and occasionally end up on my dinner plate. They become part of the food chain, end up as someone or something's poop, which also re-enters the environment as fertilizer for plants, which in turn get eaten by rabbits or cows or whatever, and again end up as a hamburger.

I'm afraid that all of us are on a giant terrarium, and the only form of immortality we really have is casting off molecules in poop and pee and having it get recycled into tapwater and steak, over and over again. At least, that's all that anyone can observe.

But folks who can't bear the thought of ceasing to exist create weird fantasies of future lives. I feel sorry for them, because their inability to reconcile themselves to the concept of "ending" leads them to embrace all sorts of irrational religions, which in turn leads them to deny themselves and others pleasure, to embrace needless discomfort, and into armed conflicts.
    I was in their shoes once . . . but all I can say now is, "Thank god for atheism."

-Tock

BASK8KACE is offline Anabolic Member
    If you want great fodder for your life after death paper, you should take time to watch the movie "Waking Life." The basic plot of the film is based on a physiological phenomenon known as "lucid dreaming". Lucid dreaming means dreaming while knowing that you are dreaming.

As you know, 10 seconds of a dream can seem like an hour or several days. Keeping that in mind, consider the following:

If you die due to anything but damage to the brain, then the brain stays alive for approximately 7 minutes (supposedly) before it completely expires. During those 7 minutes the person's brain (no longer in a waking state since s/he is dead) continues to function. If the function is perceived as dreaming, then after death, a person lives on for what may seem an eternity as the brain dies.

The thoughts driving the mind before death, could be one's after-life.
    Last edited by BASK8KACE; 09-19-2004 at 12:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tock
    How folks explain life after death, huh?
    First, they gotta have some reason to suppose that there IS life after death. I've never seen any evidence to support the notion of "souls" or places for souls to go to. No one has ever seen one, measured one, except unstable folks and in movies--and I know for sure that I've never seen one, and don't know anyone who has.

I have seen lots of animals die, decompose, and their molecules become absorbed by plants and worms and etc, and occasionally end up on my dinner plate. They become part of the food chain, end up as someone or something's poop, which also re-enters the environment as fertilizer for plants, which in turn get eaten by rabbits or cows or whatever, and again end up as a hamburger.

I'm afraid that all of us are on a giant terrarium, and the only form of immortality we really have is casting off molecules in poop and pee and having it get recycled into tapwater and steak, over and over again. At least, that's all that anyone can observe.

But folks who can't bear the thought of ceasing to exist create weird fantasies of future lives. I feel sorry for them, because their inability to reconcile themselves to the concept of "ending" leads them to embrace all sorts of irrational religions, which in turn leads them to deny themselves and others pleasure, to embrace needless discomfort, and into armed conflicts.
    I was in their shoes once . . . but all I can say now is, "Thank god for atheism."

-Tock

Don't waste your time feeling sorry for me. I made a life choice just like you did.

Tock,

People turn to religion for reasons that completely eclipse any idea of after life. I think if you talk to people (with the exception of the blindly religious--the fanatics), you'll find that what turns a person to religion and keeps them practicing religion is one or more of the following: a sense of moral standards, a devotion to tradition (what your parents and parent's parents belived and did), a feeling of belonging to a larger group (a congregation, temple, a community), a desire to be redeemed, a desire to be forgiven for serious transgressions, a desire to be saved (from emptyness, from poverty, from meaninglessness).

I doubt you'll find anyone that practices a religion just because (or even mainly becuase) they belive they will have a second life.

SportsMedVIP is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BASK8KACE
    If you want great fodder for your life after death paper, you should take time to watch the movie "Waking Life." The basic plot of the film is based on a physiological phenomenon known as "lucid dreaming". Lucid dreaming means dreaming while knowing that you are dreaming.

As you know, 10 seconds of a dream can seem like an hour or several days. Keeping that in mind, consider the following:

If you die due to anything but damage to the brain, then the brain stays alive for approximately 7 minutes (supposedly) before it completely expires. During those 7 minutes the person's brain (no longer in a waking state since s/he is dead) continues to function. If the function is perceived as dreaming, then after death, a person lives on for what may seem an eternity as the brain dies.

The thoughts driving the mind before death, could be one's after-life.
    This is something I'm familiar with and believe is a probable possibility of what really transpires. I've often thought dieing in your sleep would be just like never waking up and the dream continueing on. Ever notice how dreams begin to unravel when you realize you are dreaming. Maybe you finally never realize it when you die. Pondering death is hard. Try imagining what it would be like to not have a conscious thought. It's hard to even concieve. The act of trying to understand/concieve the very thought contradicts truley understanding it. I enjoy thinking about this issue. As a truley curious mind I can never come to a conclusion on this as I won't take the final step on my own accord. And until that happens you only have a hypothesis.

Side Note:
    Take these ideas, add some LSD and you have a fun time of mind enveloping thought play.

Elysium is offline Productive Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chevy44

Right well, i could talk about this forever...

When i was about 12 i wrote a paper, it was way ahead of my time. Inside everyones body there is an electric current, a flow of energy flowing continuously through our bodies, through the brain and such. Through our lives we exchange energy, this electricity with other people, being by touching someone, being in close contact with someone or its possible that this energy passes through metallic objects. So, through your whole life you have this energy, this electricity moving through your body, exchanging it with other people, and vice versa. When you die, your energy simply moves to another person, or several people, since your brain creates tiny electrical pulses used in brain functions is logical to think that without this energy, this electricity you would not be able to function. Theoretically this energy would travel through hundreds, or thousands of people, continuing to exist, this energy that once "lived" in you lives on. Its hard to type out, much easier to explain the whole thing if i was face to face with you.

That was something i thought of when i was 12. I made diagrams and everything, i didnt really understand what i was doing, i look back now and think daymn!

Quote Originally Posted by MESSY_UK

When i was about 12 i wrote a paper, it was way ahead of my time. Inside everyones body there is an electric current, a flow of energy flowing continuously through our bodies, through the brain and such. Through our lives we exchange energy, this electricity with other people, being by touching someone, being in close contact with someone or its possible that this energy passes through metallic objects. So, through your whole life you have this energy, this electricity moving through your body, exchanging it with other people, and vice versa. When you die, your energy simply moves to another person, or several people, since your brain creates tiny electrical pulses used in brain functions is logical to think that without this energy, this electricity you would not be able to function. Theoretically this energy would travel through hundreds, or thousands of people, continuing to exist, this energy that once "lived" in you lives on. Its hard to type out, much easier to explain the whole thing if i was face to face with you.

That was something i thought of when i was 12. I made diagrams and everything, i didnt really understand what i was doing, i look back now and think daymn!

That is a decent theory. Although it's really hard to prove any association with this energy and a spirit or soul. By this theory my energizer batteries now live on eternally in my MP3 player. But that doesn't mean it's their soul embued within the MP3 player. It goes more back to the comment made earlier in the thread about returning to the earth and continueing on within other beings that way. But I'm just nit picking for the sake of thinking about it. I do like the direction that theory goes in. Energy does not just disappear, so therefore you're internal electrical current must go somewhere.
    Last edited by ECoastVIP; 09-19-2004 at 04:53 PM.

Elysium is offline Productive Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ECoastVIP
    That is a decent theory. Although it's really hard to prove any association with this energy and a spirit or soul. By this theory my energizer batteries now live on eternally in my MP3 player. But that doesn't mean it's their soul embued within the MP3 player. It goes more back to the comment made earlier in the thread about returning to the earth and continueing on within other beings that way. But I'm just nit picking for the sake of thinking about it. I do like the direction that theory goes in. Energy does not just disappear, so therefore you're internal electrical current must go somewhere.

Dude, im not even thinking for a second that anything that i wrote there is scientifically viable. I understand that its not actually possible.

Man i was 12 when i came up with that theory, gimme a break.

Dude, im not even thinking for a second that anything that i wrote there is scientifically viable. I understand that its not actually possible.

Man i was 12 when i came up with that theory, gimme a break.
    Just adding some thoughts to your idea. Don't take it personal. I didn't say you based a religion on it.

markas214 is offline Senior Member
    You die and that's it. All this religious crap is in the words of Jesse "The Body" Ventura, "for weak minded people" who can't handle the idea of not existing.

Quote Originally Posted by markas214
    You die and that's it. All this religious crap is in the words of Jesse "The Body" Ventura, "for weak minded people" who can't handle the idea of not existing.
    Fear of an end to existence is not the primary reason that sustains a belief in religion. In fact, it's probably one of the least important reasons people hold to religious beliefs.

People cling to religion for:
    A sense of moral standards, a devotion to tradition (what your parents and parent's parents belived and did), a feeling of belonging to a larger group (a congregation, temple, a community), a desire to be redeemed, a desire to be forgiven for serious transgressions, a desire to be saved (from emptyness, from poverty, from meaninglessness), etcetera

PT
    PT is offline DUNAMIS ~ AR-Elite Hall of Famer~
    wow, bask8kace really has me thinking. that is something wierd to think about today. but ive always belived in nothing being out there, therfore when your dead your just "dead".

Honest Abe is offline Associate Member
    saying that there is no EVIDENCE of after life is not a valid statement to dismiss the notion. if it is evidence that makes you believe, than what evidence is there that life after death doen't exist.

i hear this all the time, "if god exists were is the proof?"

my reply is "were is your proof he doesn't exist?"

personal i believe in god and an "afterlife". look at it this way....if your an aethiest(sp??) and your wrong, you will have regret and probably sorry or whatever.

BUT if your a believer and your wrong what is your conciquence? You miss out on some wild times or more self indulgence or whatever your faith kept you away from? yes you did, but you aren't going to regret it for a minute causse if your wrong your dead and there is no remorse. JMO

ABE

Psychotron is offline Anabolic Member

String Theory?

Benches505 is offline 75% HGH 25% Testosterone
    I'm not sure but if a certain chump keeps trying to buck my way I'll let you know if he comes back to haunt me

Pheedno is offline Respected Member
    We were created by the earth, and we will return to it. No conscious after life, no heaven, no hell. We practice for death everytime we sleep

kc
    kc is offline Female Member
    ask me when I'm 70

EastCoaster is offline Banned
    I want to believe in life after death, its a scary thought that this is all we got. I'm not exactly very religious, but I do believe that something greater than a BIG BOOM put us here. I've had 2 events in my life happen that have been totally unexplainable... I should be dead. I like to think that is wasnt my time yet, and I was saved by my guardian angel. How do you explain that feeling you get when you're in a room alone late at night, and you feel.... you know somebody is watching you. You turn around about 5 times but find nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Honest Abe
    i hear this all the time, "if god exists were is the proof?"

my reply is "were is your proof he doesn't exist?"
    . . . and I hear this all the time: "If there are pink elephants dancing on the dark side of Neptune, where is the proof?"

My reply is, "Where is your proof that they don't exist?"

So we can say that there MUST be pink elephants on the dark side of Neptune because we have no proof that there are not any.

Same reasoning . . .

personal i believe in god and an "afterlife". look at it this way....if your an aethiest(sp??) and your wrong, you will have regret and probably sorry or whatever.

BUT if your a believer and your wrong what is your conciquence? You miss out on some wild times or more self indulgence or whatever your faith kept you away from? yes you did, but you aren't going to regret it for a minute causse if your wrong your dead and there is no remorse. JMO
    ABE
    Oh yah, we've plowed that field here before . . . do a search on "Pascal's Wager" and see what you turn up. You've just paraphrased French mathematician Blaise Pascal's contribution to theology, which has been trounced time and time again, and you can see other folk's response to it at
    http://www.abarnett.demon.co.uk/atheism/wager.html
    http://www.infidels.org/library/mode...ism/wager.html
    http://www.iidb.org/cgi-bin/ultimate...&f=50&t=000651
    http://www.buffaloatheists.com/artic...ager/wager.htm
    . . . and other sites as well. But this, along with what's been discussed previously, is plenty to get ya started.

-Tock

ABE
    I can't say I am a believer, everytime this thread comes up i state the same thing. The religions all pretty much teach you to be a good person. I don't have to believe any anyone elses stories and such, just being a good person. If there is an afterlife and a god, that is all that should matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Tock
    . . . and I hear this all the time: "If there are pink elephants dancing on the dark side of Neptune, where is the proof?"

My reply is, "Where is your proof that they don't exist?"

So we can say that there MUST be pink elephants on the dark side of Neptune because we have no proof that there are not any.

Same reasoning . . .

Oh yah, we've plowed that field here before . . . do a search on "Pascal's Wager" and see what you turn up. You've just paraphrased French mathematician Blaise Pascal's contribution to theology, which has been trounced time and time again, and you can see other folk's response to it at
    http://www.abarnett.demon.co.uk/atheism/wager.html
    http://www.infidels.org/library/mode...ism/wager.html
    http://www.iidb.org/cgi-bin/ultimate...&f=50&t=000651
    http://www.buffaloatheists.com/artic...ager/wager.htm
    . . . and other sites as well. But this, along with what's been discussed previously, is plenty to get ya started.

-Tock
    i think you miss understand the point i'm making and yes we can use pink elphants if you like.
    Many people base all that they believe on evidence. meaning they canot believe in anythinng that there is no evidence of. that way of thinking is theorectically incorrect. if you demand evidence to believe in something than you must also have evidence not to believe in something. therefore the lack of evidence does not prove anything nor does it disprove anything. i hear this from aethiest all the time and really when they hold that point as why they beleive there is no god they are not athiest they are really just confused.

so to make things short we can not say there MUST be elephants on the dark side of Neptune but we also can't say there isn't. without evidence we are left to theorize and there is no way to prove right or wrong. YES same reasoning and it is important to discussing the possiblity of god or an afterlife.too many people dissmiss the possiblity so easily.

Pascal theory is basic and really not as important.
    ABE

Many people base all that they believe on evidence. meaning they canot believe in anythinng that there is no evidence of.
    Not really.
    Folks who beleive that the sun will rise tomorrow do so based on the expected reoccurrance of previously observed phenomenon. If I've seen the sun rise every 24 hours for as long as I've been alive, then I can reliably predict, based on previous experience, that it's gonna happen again.
    Same thing is true of slamming a hammer on your thumb--you know from previous experience that it hurt when that happened in the past, and you can reliably predict--beleive--that if you do it again, it will still hurt. There's no evidence to "prove" that it's gonna hurt the next time, but a reasonable person would still expect that it would.

if you demand evidence to believe in something than you must also have evidence not to believe in something.
    Must? No, that does not necessarily follow.

If I demand evidence that supports what Harry Bilgewater alleges to be true about Harry Truman's inclination for eating boiled fish heads, that does not mean that I must therefore have evidence that my doctor has a genuine license to practice medicine.
    For mere mortals to get along on this planet, we have to make lots of assumptions about lots of things. Like, we can drive to work without getting shot by a sniper. Or that our food isn't contaminated with salmonella. Or that we will be able to finish an internet post before the electric power goes out. If we didn't make those assumptions, we'd never attempt to do anything. So, we do. Sure, we might be wrong, we just might get shot by a crazy sniper--those things happen from time to time. And people do get sick from salmonella, and the electric power has gone out in the middle of a few of my posts. But for the most part, our everyday assumptions are correct.

Now then . . . if someone comes along and tells me, "Tock, I've got a magic pill here that will put 50 pounds of lean muscle mass on you in one week, and you can have it for $100," of course I'd ask for "proof," having seen lots of empty promises on the pages of the muscle magazines, and having heard of jillions of false promises made by con artists.
    That would be a reasonable response to an extraordinary claim.
    That sort of thing doesn't happen--at least I've never seen it happen--and unless that someone could demonstrate that his magic pill does indeed do what he claims (by letting me try it first, or demonstrating how someone else grows 50 lbs in one week), I'm gonna draw on my previous experience and assume the guy is a con artist.

And . . . when a preacher comes along and tells me that I better comply with what he tells me God wants me to do, I'm gonna think, "Gee, have I ever seen a god before? Has anyone ever seen or talked with a god before (who's not in a mental institution or on TV every week)?" And I'm gonna ask myself, "How many people are claiming that God wants me to do something else?" or "How do I know that these people have indeed gotten a message from God?" or "Gee, how many different gods do people claim there are, and what are the odds that this guy is connected with the Only True God?"

If I demand evidence from a nut like the head of a Jesus UFO church or from Billy Graham or Jerry Falwell because he makes extraordinary claims, that doesn't mean I should expect to need to demand evidence on every other choice or challenge the world presents to me.

therefore the lack of evidence does not prove anything nor does it disprove anything.

It does prove one thing -- that there is no evidence.
    So, if there is no evidence to support an allegation that something is true, there is no accompanying obligation to suppose that it is true. You can have "faith" or make beleive that it is true if you wish, but you would do so without the support of logic, reason or evidence.
    If you do, however, consent to beleive something on no evidence, you could be considered to be nothing but "gullible."

i hear this from aethiest all the time and really when they hold that point as why they beleive there is no god they are not athiest they are really just confused.
    Well then . . . I'm sure you are glad to have had the benefit of my little essay to shine a little light in your darkness.

so to make things short we can not say there MUST be elephants on the dark side of Neptune but we also can't say there isn't.
    We can darn well say that it is highly unlikely that there are pink elephants on the dark side of Neptune. I would say that the chances of such things existing would be even more remote than the chances of you and me getting married in Massachusetts next weekend. Remotely possible, but so remote as to be able to safely say, "It ain't gonna happen."

without evidence we are left to theorize and there is no way to prove right or wrong.
    Without evidence, we have no reason to suppose that there are flying pigs on Neptune instead, but by relying on our experience, we know that livestock cannot survive in the temperatures found to exist on that barren planet. So we can conclude that the possibility is zero.
    Similarly, when Jerry Falwell preaches that Eve was manufactured out of a rib, we can again draw upon our experience to know that such things are not possible (the transmutation of a 3 lb object into a 120 lb menstruating woman), and reliably conclude, "Jerry Falwell is full of xxxx." We can also draw upon the reliability of other religious pronouncements by other authorities, such as, "Blacks are inferior to white people," or "Women must remain subserviant to men and must never speak in church," or "The planet is only 8,000 years old," and know that religious authorities are frequently given to error, particularly when relying on the Bible as their "proof."

YES same reasoning and it is important to discussing the possiblity of god or an afterlife.too many people dissmiss the possiblity so easily.
    Actually, discussing the possibility of god or an afterlife is probably less productive than discussing techniques for eliminating belly button lint from your life. It's a waste of time. Beleif in such a thing is a fantasy, dressing up and driving across town to listen to some boring oratory on the topic is evidence of a mental disease.

Pascal theory is basic and really not as important.ABE
    Pascal was a great mathematician, but a lousy theologian.
    Actually, all theologians are lousy theologians.

-Tock

mark956101957 is offline Anabolic Member
    I think the proof of a creator of this universe has already been conclusively proven by science and the big bang theory. From people like Hugh Ross PhD and Stefan Hawkings, "Time has a beginning!" And a Creator has created time and this universe. There is a definate design hence a Designer...wake up!

Tock:

i think i understand what your saying. you need proof to believe in some things and other things you don't. fair enough. however you are still making a conclusion based on a lack of evidence bottom line.

to further illustrate: because we have no evidence of aliens (no, ufo's aren't proof of extaterestrial life), they do not exist. It is just plain foolish to dismiss the possiblity because we don't have proof, or even any evidence.

it would be better and more theologically sound to say, "i can't believe in an afterlife or god for that matter until i have further evidence." thats all i'm trying to point out.

l

Quote Originally Posted by mark956101957
    I think the proof of a creator of this universe has already been conclusively proven by science and the big bang theory. From people like Hugh Ross PhD and Stefan Hawkings, "Time has a beginning!" And a Creator has created time and this universe. There is a definate design hence a Designer...wake up!
    im going to be reading Hawkings' book "A brief history of time" soon. hope its fairly insightful.

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotron
    im going to be reading Hawkings' book "A brief history of time" soon. hope its fairly insightful.
    I have read that book and if you read articles from any astro physicist you would know that this world was made from material that was so dense that all our planets and the universe started out as the size of a pearl and exploded in all directions, hence the big bang and a creator who caused it. But if some of you think you are smarter than all these astro physicist than maybe there is no God! LOL

BigMike J is offline Anabolic Member
    Speaking of space.. this is a thought i have been pondering and i was actually going to start a thread on it but i think i'll just post it here. Outer space is supposed to be infinate well if outer space did not exist then there would be nothing but isn't nothing still something? Therefor if we conceive the idea of nothing existing then there would still be something.

When i was in my car accident all i can remember was WAKING UP. It was almost like i had no conscious existence before waking up. It was weird. If i had died it would not have made a difference because i don't think i would have realized it because like i said i did not exist. The only way i can explain the feeling of waking up would be like being born fully aware of your world. Like turning on the life switch.

Maybe this is what death is like.
    Last edited by BigMike J; 09-27-2004 at 05:41 PM.

needmorestrength is offline Anabolic Member
    Tell you what.. Heres a point about god not existing.. Use the wind as an example! you feel it. you see its power (specially down in Fla) so do you believe that the wind exists? just like a house has a builder so did the universe and everything existing in it.. The bible states that when you die you return to dust and are Conscious of NOTHING! There is the ressurection hope and when ppl are ressurected they won't "call to mind the former things"!

Badgerman is offline Banned
    OK.....now here's a wierd one for you all......I was reading an article about the intial stages of the "creation event"....big bang if you will......and they were talking about what initiated the instability and propagated the expansion......what they postulated
    was that SOUND started it.... and they were looking for specific radiation remnants and patterns and found that the sound model fit the evidence...I don't remember all the details......ANYWAY......this will sound silly to some......but it made the hair stand on my neck......I sat and thought about it for awhile......and what came to mind was the description of GOD SPEAKING the universe into existence......the universe was created by the Word of God......God's voice started the creation event

Quote Originally Posted by needmorestrength
    Tell you what.. Heres a point about god not existing.. Use the wind as an example! you feel it. you see its power (specially down in Fla) so do you believe that the wind exists? just like a house has a builder so did the universe and everything existing in it.. The bible states that when you die you return to dust and are Conscious of NOTHING! There is the ressurection hope and when ppl are ressurected they won't "call to mind the former things"!
    The Bible doesn't say you are conscious of nothing when you die! The Bible talks about a life eternal after our life ends on earth in the Old and New Testament.

needmorestrength is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mark956101957
    The Bible doesn't say you are conscious of nothing when you die! The Bible talks about a life eternal after our life ends on earth in the Old and New Testament.
    Hey dude.. check out Ecclesiastes 9:5

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information