ColdSore is offline Banned

Strength and conditioning coaches

Any of you guys a "strength and conditioning coach"???...or educated/qualified to be one?

Im asking because i had an awesome experience yesterday and think i may have found my calling in life...the only thing that deters me is starting out at a low paid high school position...but if i could rough it out and make it to the college level and train a football team i think that would be the greatest job ever!...

But im also somewhat worried about haveing to move alot to keep my carrer at the hopefully collegeant level someday...

1badcamaro is offline Anabolic Member
    sorry i'm not, but congrats on finding your calling, i wish you the best bro......

w_rballs is offline Anabolic Member
    i am strength and condition coach here at my gym.

u are right about starting off at the highschool level and getting paid **** for it. that is why i do it at my gym for money and i do it volunteer at my old school jsut for resume builder. my buddy and fellow trainer at my old job is the strength coach for CSU girls volleyball. i got to helphim with that and its great stuff

girls in spandex jumping around.... can it get any better?

hung-solo is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by w_rballs

u are right about starting off at the highschool level and getting paid **** for it. that is why i do it at my gym for money and i do it volunteer at my old school jsut for resume builder. my buddy and fellow trainer at my old job is the strength coach for CSU girls volleyball. i got to helphim with that and its great stuff

nice!

well i may be getting offered a student coaching position here with the strength and conditioning staff for the football team...ill get word back today on whether or not i got it...so that would help me tremedously...so how much were you getting paid at the HS level???...and what are you bringin in at your gym???

i did it for free at my school. just used it to build my resume. and the coach was a real good buddy of mine. at my gym i do individual and group training. individual, im making 35 an hour. goup anywhere from 40-50 an hour

they offered me full time at the high school and it was gonna pay like 7,500 for football and wrestling season. but i had to decline full time position cause i couldnt dedicate the amount of hours they wanted from me in order to receive that amount. i didnt want to give up my athletes at my gym

they offered me full time at the high school and it was gonna pay like 7,500 for football and wrestling season. but i had to decline full time position cause i couldnt dedicate the amount of hours they wanted from me in order to receive that amount. i didnt want to give up my athletes at my gym
    **** that is ****y pay!

yeah i know thats why i had to turn it down. i was making too good of money at the gym to fully dedicate myself to that.im sure i gonna have to do something like that down the road if i wanna do that and that only but if so, im gonna have a nice nest egg before i do it, cause i **** sure cant live on that

ttuPrincess Guest
    HEY HEY NOW!!!!

and once I get my job settled Ill be making enough for you to take ****y pay at a high school

Quote Originally Posted by ttuPrincess
    HEY HEY NOW!!!!

and once I get my job settled Ill be making enough for you to take ****y pay at a high school

u are gonna support me so i can follow my dream ??? what a great girl u are!

ttuPrincess Guest
    u are gonna support me so i can follow my dream ??? what a great girl u are!
    no you jackmonkey! lol

Doc M is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    So did you get the **** job or not? If ttu will be able to support you guys, I say go for it..Sometimes you gotta make sacrifices to get to where you want to be in the end..Good luck! Doc

TexasFitnessGirl is offline Female Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ColdStone
    Any of you guys a "strength and conditioning coach"???...or educated/qualified to be one?

Im asking because i had an awesome experience yesterday and think i may have found my calling in life...the only thing that deters me is starting out at a low paid high school position...but if i could rough it out and make it to the college level and train a football team i think that would be the greatest job ever!...

But im also somewhat worried about haveing to move alot to keep my carrer at the hopefully collegeant level someday...
    Working on Kinesiology Degree and yes the strength and conditioning coaches start out with low paying high school jobs. I have done some looking into whats available. It is sometimes very difficult to get on at the college level as there are so many ex pro athletes and Olympians that apply for those positions. Competitive Bodybuilder would look good on the resume if you are applying for a collegiate position. Good Luck to you. Are you and Princess down in Austin?

no you jackmonkey! lol

jackmonkey.... hahah thats great princess. ive never heard that one before. im gonna have to use it.

HEY HEY NOW!!!!

What a great girl you are is right. Hey if you are in Austin Princess I may get you to check out a gym down there if it is close to you.

ttuPrincess Guest

jackmonkey.... hahah thats great princess. ive never heard that one before. im gonna have to use it.
    you can also use fuktard.. my specialty word.. lol

TxFitness... no well be back in austin in june!

Quote Originally Posted by Doc M
    So did you get the **** job or not? If ttu will be able to support you guys, I say go for it..Sometimes you gotta make sacrifices to get to where you want to be in the end..Good luck! Doc
    well guys...i just got the call and the head of the football departmant said that they cant take on anymore student coaches (they only have 1 now, and the coach doesnt like him!)...

so i didnt get it...but the guy is cool as hell and he called me back after we hung up a 2nd time to make sure we kept in touch, and offered me his cell...and said to keep checking back...so maybe next year???

im kinda disappointed...this would have been my first big break in my fitness education and would have look awesome on a resume

Quote Originally Posted by TexasFitnessGirl
    What a great girl you are is right. Hey if you are in Austin Princess I may get you to check out a gym down there if it is close to you.
    yep shes the best!

we will be there soon, and we are gonna need to be directed towards a good gym for sure....

are any of u guys by dallas? im gonna be heading back there for a little while at the beginning of next year

Quote Originally Posted by ColdStone
    yep shes the best!

we will be there soon, and we are gonna need to be directed towards a good gym for sure....
    I told princess I will give her the info on it and she can check it out, i was wondering also. It is owned by an ex pro boxer and its brand new. Good luck to you guys and good luck with the job search!

Quote Originally Posted by TexasFitnessGirl
    I told princess I will give her the info on it and she can check it out, i was wondering also. It is owned by an ex pro boxer and its brand new. Good luck to you guys and good luck with the job search!
    sweet...thanks for the info

rw balls...nah...we are about 5 hours from dallas...never go there really either

ah i see. i have to go back to the cooper insitute in dallas and im just seeing if any members live close to it

Buildingmuscle is offline Associate Member
    What kind of pay do strength and conditioning coaches make starting out at the high school level?

saboudian is offline Senior Member
    Hey, just read through the archives of the elitefts sports specific q&a, there's more than enough complaining goin on about S&C coaches. I could sum it up easily by saying alot of it is definitely is who you know which is evident by some of the S&C coaches that god only knows how they got the job when they are the most close minded idiots.

My only general advice is to keep a very open mind and be very thirsty for knowledge.
    Last edited by saboudian; 09-21-2004 at 06:35 PM.

chicamahomico is offline Respected Member
    It's a tough industry to make a decent buck in unless you are totally specialized and at the top of your field. Either taht or you have a minimum of a MSc, DC, or PhD. The problem with S&C coaching is it's a job that a lot of lacluster coaches can appear to be decent at because often the people who hire/evaluate them are pretty clueless about S&C training. Either that or you have to have the morals of a used care salesman and be like Tony Little....then you can reel in some $$$.

Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by chicamahomico
    It's a tough industry to make a decent buck in unless you are totally specialized and at the top of your field. Either taht or you have a minimum of a MSc, DC, or PhD. The problem with S&C coaching is it's a job that a lot of lacluster coaches can appear to be decent at because often the people who hire/evaluate them are pretty clueless about S&C training. Either that or you have to have the morals of a used care salesman and be like Tony Little....then you can reel in some $$$.
    Coach Poliquin (one of the world's most famous strength coaches) never attaches "Dr" to his name, just "Coach" cause he believes his knowledge stems from his own desire to learn as much as possible - and apply it... he attributes little to his formal education... sh!t - the guy's motivation lead him to learn foreign languages just to translate writings/principles...

im thinking im gonna garduate with my BS in exercise science, and get certified by the NSCA, both in strength and conditioning, but also the NSCA-CPT for my PT certification...then ill also want to get something to make me a certified nutritionist...any suggestions on that?

63190 is offline Anabolic Member
    Take nutrition classes and/or ask the teacher how they got thier credintials.

also alot of certifiaction places offer sports nutrition certifications. im pretty sure NSCA does. cooper insistute does. u just have to ask nsca. good luck with the cpt test CS, i took a practice one and it was pretty tough, but hopeuflly i will be finishing my sports nutrition degree soon so i will have the bs in order to take the test

rob35145 is offline Junior Member
    I’m CSCS, worked with schools, several sports. If you are just starting out with no formal experience planning S & C programs for multiple sports expect to be paid in the low – mid $20’s max, and that’s with a BS, MS, or PHD. It doesn’t matter. As your experience increases so does your pay. You have a lot of stupid people in this field.

Most head strength & conditioning coaches max out around $50K at most major colleges. Most pro head strength & conditioning coaches max out around $60 - $70K. If you’re not well connected or have not played major ball you will not make it to the major college level or the pros. You’ll be stuck at the high school or level 2-3 colleges. I personally know S & C coaches who have over 5 years experience making less than $30K. Try raising a family on that.

You’re better off finding a high school that wants a strength coach for a few hours after school. Use that to supplement your personal training. Find a nice studio or country club to do personal training in the morning hours and do the school in the afternoon.

rob35145 is offline Junior Member
    Nutrition certifications are a waist of money in most states. Depending on your state you cannot do meal planning for anyone unless you are a registered dietician. It’s illegal. Anyone can give general nutrition advice, but you can’t meal plan. So check out what your state guidelines are for nutrition advice/meal planning before dropping the money on the cert.

Thread Information