TexasFitnessGirl is offline Female Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Xavier_4446
    Do you believe in it?
    Not on this board

decadbal is offline Banned
    of course...

sp9
    sp9 is offline MMA Competition Sentinel
    If Randy Couture stays on top of the UFC light heavyweight division for a little while longer in his early 40's I think he shoud be called super-natural instead of natural.

Yes I believe there are things that are outside of the natural realm.

Spoon is offline 'Lurker at the threshold'
    i grew up with supernatural. part of daily existence where im from.

Sigmund Froid is offline Associate Member
    The "supernatural" is impossible by definition. We live in the natural, observable world. Everything we can observe and conclude is part of this natural world. The idea of something existing outside of the only thing that exists is impossible. For example, if we saw a "ghost" many people would jump to the conclusion that it is supernatural, when in fact it would just be a part of our world - something that happens in the universe - ghosts are observable and therefore no different than an animal as far as a natural/supernatural distinction. Both are observable things that happen in the world. Though we might let ourselves get thrown off by the shock of something uncommon, it is in fact no different in kind than anything else that appears.

This same thing applies to miracles. There can be no "miracles" because the idea of "miracles" existing in our world is simply a contradiction. Things that can happen DO happen. Those things that cannot happen do not happen. If something happens, that means it was possible for it to happen. There are simply facts of the world - what is possible, and what is not possible. Beyond that, there is nothing.

So give me an example of something supernatural, and explain to me how it is somehow beyond the natural world. What is so supernatural about the supernatural? Perhaps we are really just letting ourselves be deceived by our emotional reaction to something new. I imagine an airplaine or computer screen would seem supernatural to someone two hundred years ago. But once you explain the mechanics, people chill the **** out.

Xavier_4446 is offline Senior Member
    talking about ghosts and stuff of that nature.

Well, ghosts either exist or they don't. If they DO exist, then they are "natural" by definition, though perhaps uncommon.

I imagine your question was more general, "Do you believe things like ghosts actually exist?"

The proper answer to this question would undoubtedly have to be an empirical one. Has anyone ever seen a ghost? Can anyone reasonably verify that they actually saw what they thought they were seeing? Of course, no one can ever be sure of anything in the strict sense, but let's keep this topic to serious discussion instead of wishful thinking.

I don't think anyone can verify the existence of ghosts. I'm sure if it were possible scientists would be on top of it. We can send men to the moon and make complicated thinking machines, but we can't have a team of researchers verify ghosts? Furthermore, there is no reason that ghosts would exist. Based on any credible science, the body breaks down, there is no reason to believe in a soul (meaning there is nothing to suggest one other than someone telling you) and you become part of the earth.

Aliens? That is more realistic. Life on other planets in the form of bacteria and similar organisms I think is a very strong possibility. Space invaders in fancy machines? I don't think so. Isn't it funny that they look EXACTLY like human beings by any description. That should tell you right off the bat that someone is borrowing generously from Earth. Real aliens might just be puddles of ooze. They would just absorb nutrients and energy and reproduce. That is how biological life works. They wouldn't need guns, and anything remotely like human beings is improbable.

hung-solo is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigmund Froid
    Well, ghosts either exist or they don't. If they DO exist, then they are "natural" by definition, though perhaps uncommon.

I imagine your question was more general, "Do you believe things like ghosts actually exist?"

The proper answer to this question would undoubtedly have to be an empirical one. Has anyone ever seen a ghost? Can anyone reasonably verify that they actually saw what they thought they were seeing? Of course, no one can ever be sure of anything in the strict sense, but let's keep this topic to serious discussion instead of wishful thinking.

I don't think anyone can verify the existence of ghosts. I'm sure if it were possible scientists would be on top of it. We can send men to the moon and make complicated thinking machines, but we can't have a team of researchers verify ghosts? Furthermore, there is no reason that ghosts would exist. Based on any credible science, the body breaks down, there is no reason to believe in a soul (meaning there is nothing to suggest one other than someone telling you) and you become part of the earth.

Aliens? That is more realistic. Life on other planets in the form of bacteria and similar organisms I think is a very strong possibility. Space invaders in fancy machines? I don't think so. Isn't it funny that they look EXACTLY like human beings by any description. That should tell you right off the bat that someone is borrowing generously from Earth. Real aliens might just be puddles of ooze. They would just absorb nutrients and energy and reproduce. That is how biological life works. They wouldn't need guns, and anything remotely like human beings is improbable.

what about superman? is he not real?

co2boi is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigmund Froid
    The "supernatural" is impossible by definition. We live in the natural, observable world. Everything we can observe and conclude is part of this natural world. The idea of something existing outside of the only thing that exists is impossible. For example, if we saw a "ghost" many people would jump to the conclusion that it is supernatural, when in fact it would just be a part of our world - something that happens in the universe - ghosts are observable and therefore no different than an animal as far as a natural/supernatural distinction. Both are observable things that happen in the world. Though we might let ourselves get thrown off by the shock of something uncommon, it is in fact no different in kind than anything else that appears.

This same thing applies to miracles. There can be no "miracles" because the idea of "miracles" existing in our world is simply a contradiction. Things that can happen DO happen. Those things that cannot happen do not happen. If something happens, that means it was possible for it to happen. There are simply facts of the world - what is possible, and what is not possible. Beyond that, there is nothing.

So give me an example of something supernatural, and explain to me how it is somehow beyond the natural world. What is so supernatural about the supernatural? Perhaps we are really just letting ourselves be deceived by our emotional reaction to something new. I imagine an airplaine or computer screen would seem supernatural to someone two hundred years ago. But once you explain the mechanics, people chill the **** out.
    Oh that's easy bro. Anything that exists outside of time would not be observable by us. So the concept of a "God" or a GCB (Greateset Concievable Being) that is ominipotent and omnipresent would have to live outside of time as we know it. Therefore, making it's presence supernatural

"The world is all that is the case. The world is the totality of facts, not of things. "

"Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one must be silent ..."

In other words, we an sit around and say, "I wonder if there is a fifty two armed orange lizard that speaks japanese to children made of bubble gum."

If something is not observable, there is no point in talking about it, because it is no different than any other weird **** you could think of. It either appears in some form so we have an indication of its existence or we cannot talk about it without laughing at ourselves.

Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer
    I dont think this thread was meant to be a debate about the word supernatural and the meaning behind it

I am a firm beliver in ghosts and I am convinced that the only reason we havent scientificly proven there existanse is simply because nobody funds reasearch like that(or well not to the extent that something like space research or nuclear research gets) and the fact that most scientists that gets involved in that kind of research is ridiculed because of it.

Thread Information