metallicafan4u69 is offline Junior Member

Exclamation Milk Thistle...Save your Liver

I was just reading about someone having pain with the kidneys and the recommendations for him. All good with the water and the cranberry juice. But the amount of protein intake for a day is typical for us in lifting. However, I did not see that he was taking milk thistle while taking in that much protein. An absolute must for everyone taking in protein above and beyond the "normal" amount. Protein needs to go thru the liver just like say...alcohol and can do just as much damage. Milk thistle will help. Get it if you don't have it now. I use 400mg with all large meals of protein. Very your intake as you feel. Happy lifting!

AnabolicBoy1981 is offline Anabolic Member
    protein is not nearly as damaging as alchohal
    you can't even compare the two.

AandF6969 is offline Made Up Of Wires
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't a high protein diet hard on the kidneys, not on the liver?

Protein has to pass the liver like everything else does...liver can suffer and alcohol was used as an example not to be compared to protein. There is a huge difference but not to the liver.

bigol'legs is offline Quadzilla
    how much is excesive? i take in 350-400 grams a day. Never had liver pains, but i make sure i get in 2-3 gallons of water a day.

Talking

Water is good for flushing out your system but just as suppliments are good for lots of things milk thistle works wonders for liver. Water won't detoxify the liver as milk thistle tho. Keep drinking and peeing my friend.
    Last edited by metallicafan4u69; 09-23-2004 at 07:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bigol'legs
    how much is excesive? i take in 350-400 grams a day. Never had liver pains, but i make sure i get in 2-3 gallons of water a day.
    You won't get liver pains until it is too late. It would be a long term affect on the liver like alcohol or drug use. Wait for several years.

Sage is offline Anabolic Member
    1K mgs of mt a day while on a cycle for x amount of weeks

AnabolicBoy1981 is offline Anabolic Member
    Im not sayin milk thistle isn't good for the liver, but enough with this " protein is hard on your liver and kidneys" nonesense.
    First of all, the studies done on high protien intake were done on individuals who ALREADY HAD IMPAIRED KIDNEY FUNCTION. So the results of that have nothing to do with healthy people.
    Also, the liver has much more ability to process things than you think. Recently a study was done that showed the adaptability of liver cells to processing high amounts of testosterone . Actually they took a PEICE of mouse liver, and made it process 100mg of testosterone a week, AND IT DID FINE.
    Imagine, a fraction of a mouse liver handling half a dose of a human beginner cycle of stteroids, and you're worried about eating a few hundred grams of protien? Forget it. Do you have any idea how many athletes, bodybuilders, and other people that have been on high protein diets for the past 20 years?!
    There would be a major epidemic of kidney and liver failure all over the place. And think about what the pros eat. Im not saying their healthy, but they probably eat 1000+ grams of protein a day, plus being on ten drugs, and some of these guys are fine. So if i wanna eat 500grams of protein a day, im not gonna worry about it.
    The liver also has the ability to rejuvenate it's cells.
    Milk thistles good for a detox after a cycle, but other than that, i wouldn't worry about it.

MIKE_XXL is offline SCAMMER
    Quote Originally Posted by metallicafan4u69
    Protein has to pass the liver like everything else does...liver can suffer and alcohol was used as an example not to be compared to protein. There is a huge difference but not to the liver.
    Liver acts like a filter, and protain does not pass through the liver...once protein is digested just like alcohol, it will go into the bloodstream as aminoacids, and then it will go through the liver, and there is very little if any stress on the liver caused by amno-acids in the blood, actually some of them will be used in repairs to the liver...so high protein intake does not consititute Milk Thistly supplementation...where aas the alcohol in your blood has direct impact on your liver damage...so there is no comperison here....however Milk Thistle is a great supplement and should be used to protect and help regenerate the liver...XXL

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by MIKE_XXL
    Liver acts like a filter, and protain does not pass through the liver...once protein is digested just like alcohol, it will go into the bloodstream as aminoacids, and then it will go through the liver, and there is very little if any stress on the liver caused by amno-acids in the blood, actually some of them will be used in repairs to the liver...so high protein intake does not consititute Milk Thistly supplementation...where aas the alcohol in your blood has direct impact on your liver damage...so there is no comperison here....however Milk Thistle is a great supplement and should be used to protect and help regenerate the liver...XXL

Precisely.

Next.

~SC~

decadbal is offline Banned
    whod have thunk it?

MIKE_XXL is offline SCAMMER
    Quote Originally Posted by Decadbal
    whod have thunk it?
    Maybe i am slow today but...WTF

decadbal is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MIKE_XXL
    Maybe i am slow today but...WTF
    i meant bout the guy posting something that is pretty much general knowledge..lol

Thread Information