Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Badgerman is offline Banned

Streetbikes.......

My boy wants a streetbike......17 years old......good rider......what do you all think???.....scares me to death.....I don't know what to do......I would feel so guilty if he got hurt bad.

kc
    kc is offline Female Member
    Can't protect him forever. Get him the bike, make it a rule he only ride with you until you feel better about it?

Quote Originally Posted by kc
    Can't protect him forever. Get him the bike, make it a rule he only ride with you until you feel better about it?
    Yeah....that's true......the kid can ride......he's one of those that can do the 100 foot triples......wheelie forever......used to race MX......he's just a little daring and has absolutely no fear......plays safety in football and hits like a ton of bricks......5'9" 190......it's a tough decision......there are SO many bad drivers out there

kc
    kc is offline Female Member
    so true, bad drivers are there whether he's in car or on bike..

builtthekid is offline Banned
    Yeah its tuff man but if you feel that his head is in the
    right place then go for it man.

anaBROLIC is offline Only The Strong Survive
    at least hes too young to drink...that would be trouble..

as-addicted is offline Junior Member
    Yeah bager it's like kc said..........I would say from experience 7/8 of the time its the cars that are putting him at risk. I've been riding(street) since I was 19 I bought a new jap 600 bike (honda F3) anyway two weeks later I totalled it out. My prob was I tried to use my dirt skills on the road....we'll you can guess what happened. I'm now 25 and on my 4th bike. IMO please DO NOT get him a bike any higher than a 600cc machine. I own the current cream of the crop ZX10R kawi and this bike is one bad ass SOB, and not for the faint at heart. Also, I just wanted to add, true you cannot protect him forever, but I honestly think 17 is way to young to own a 160+mph streetbike.

Quote Originally Posted by phatmark
    at least hes too young to drink...that would be trouble..
    What's wierd is that he doesn't drink AT ALL........too into training for football.....wants to play D-1 so he's real serious.......In fact he gets after me when I pop a brew......which is rare for me too.

Yeah nothling like drinking two 40oz and hopping behind the wheel for some sunday driving.

Quote Originally Posted by as-addicted
    Yeah bager it's like kc said..........I would say from experience 7/8 of the time its the cars that are putting him at risk. I've been riding(street) since I was 19 I bought a new jap 600 bike (honda F3) anyway two weeks later I totalled it out. My prob was I tried to use my dirt skills on the road....we'll you can guess what happened. I'm now 25 and on my 4th bike. IMO please DO NOT get him a bike any higher than a 600cc machine. I own the current cream of the crop ZX10R kawi and this bike is one bad ass SOB, and not for the faint at heart. Also, I just wanted to add, true you cannot protect him forever, but I honestly think 17 is way to young to own a 160+mph streetbike.
    That's kind of the way I'm leaning......I kind of spoil the kid.......maybe I should let him get older......earn the money......and buy the thing himself if that's how he wants to spend the money.......if we did do the streetbike thing later I'd send him to some kind of track riding school......get the need for speed out of the system...........the machinery is SOOOOO cool though.....kind of would like one for myself

Quote Originally Posted by builtthekid
    Yeah nothling like drinking two 40oz and hopping behind the wheel for some sunday driving.

That happens WAY too often.......I just love the dudes walking into the circle K loading up on the big bottles.......jeez

Well nothings better for some good old empty carbs
    then some colt 45 malt liquor.

Blown_SC is offline Retired Vet

co2boi is offline Anabolic Member
    I ride my bike almost everyday in Atlanta traffic and you definitely have to be on the defense constantly. Having fun is cool and all, but there's a time and a place for everything. I see guys doing endos downtown in Saturday traffic...that's not impressive, just stupid. Drive smart and live, save the crazy **** for the country roads

clockworks is offline Anabolic Member
    i'd say no way. when i was 17 i was waaaaay to immature to have anything like a sport bike. i hate to generalize, but most teenagers are more crazy/reckless than adults in their late twenties and up. i used to go riding with a local sport bike group and it was always the young kids who did the incredibly stupid things. maybe your son is different, but i'm just speaking from my experience of being that young not too long ago...=)

yeah, but you are a LOT more likely to be seriously hurt when you get hit on a bike.

i know so many people, including myself, who have been f-cked up on sport bikes because of other bad drivers that i won't get another sport bike. people not seeing you and pulling out infront of you is the worst and it happens often. i was rear ended by some a$$hole because he "didn't see me" and he was speeding.

Well im off to go get some 40s halla at yall.

markas214 is offline Senior Member
    OK you've got opinions from the young guys basically saying go for it now one from a dad of a 17 year old boy. No way! Let him save for it himself and get it when he no longer lives with you. Do you really think a 17 year old is mature enough to make the safe decisions 100% of the time? I don't. I see a lot of motorcycle trauma, lost legs, head injuries, paralysis, etc. If he does get injured are you ready to live with the guilt for the rest of your life? So basically if the answers to my questions are yes get him the bike. If no to even one don't!

needmorestrength is offline Anabolic Member
    Yea.. It's a risky decision.. in 19 my dad is not fond on them.. He used to race in England and is very protective when it comes to bikes.. I've got a sick sled and 2 cars but no bike YET!! If you can afford one for yourself why not get two? Then only let him ride with u for the first little while.. Cannot emphasize enough about driving schools plus they lower insurance!! U could actually get him a 400 and I think Honda's got a nice 500 as well!!

Quote Originally Posted by builtthekid
    Well im off to go get some 40s halla at yall.
    me too.....then head home and slap the ol' lady around.....

co2boi is offline Anabolic Member
    I had a CBR 600 when I was 17. Way too immature for it, but I was a good driver because I grew up racing dirt bikes and 4-wheelers. I made it out ok, but I was at least fairly aware of my limits.

Quote Originally Posted by markas214
    OK you've got opinions from the young guys basically saying go for it now one from a dad of a 17 year old boy. No way! Let him save for it himself and get it when he no longer lives with you. Do you really think a 17 year old is mature enough to make the safe decisions 100% of the time? I don't. I see a lot of motorcycle trauma, lost legs, head injuries, paralysis, etc. If he does get injured are you ready to live with the guilt for the rest of your life? So basically if the answers to my questions are yes get him the bike. If no to even one don't!
    Bro....you nailed all the issues for me......plus I'd be stressed every time he went out on it.......no bike for now!

Elysium is offline Productive Member
    Let him have this...

harris/spondon based frame streetfighter, complete with NOS.

Bad ass streetfighter

Panzerfaust is offline Ron Paul Nuthugger
    Quote Originally Posted by Badgerman
    Yeah....that's true......the kid can ride......he's one of those that can do the 100 foot triples......wheelie forever......used to race MX......he's just a little daring and has absolutely no fear......plays safety in football and hits like a ton of bricks......5'9" 190......it's a tough decision......there are SO many bad drivers out there

Yeah, and it sounds like he is one of them (Bad Drivers). One minute you say he is a good driver then you post this ****? In the biking community he would be known as a "Squid". He sounds like the type that does not need to get a street bike.

"He's just a little daring and has absolutely no fear" = Dead Child!

Think twice about it, the boy's not ready for it IMO.

I don't mean to sound to harsh but it is your child were are talking about here.
    Last edited by Panzerfaust; 09-27-2004 at 01:36 PM.

JDawg1536 is offline "Rock" of Love ;)
    im 20, and i say dont do it. If I had gotten a bike when I was 17, Id be dead. Im not even mature enough for one now.

needmorestrength is offline Anabolic Member
    listen to murlioninja!!! hes got it right on actually!

Sta11ion is offline Member
    I have been riding for over 14 years in the track and streets. To be honest I would not get him the bike, I already had 2 personal friends die this year, both there faults. Then I had a kid who is 19 who works for me just die. His fault, its the maturity level that concerns me. In toronto thats were I am from. So many people died this year the percent of human error is around %85. That means %15 is not there fault, I am 26 and when I have a child they will only be entitled to ride on the track that is it. I have been in enough accidents half my fault half someone elses. Don't get your kid that bike, let him ride on the track, its safer he learns to repect the bike and best of all if he does act stupid they will take him off the track. I know people will see that I ride why cant your children ride, and to honest I have no answer to that. But the answer to him or her will be NO.

Demon Deacon is offline Anabolic Member
    Give him what he wants

OSTIE is offline Senior Member
    I saved up and bought my first streetbike when I was 17, a 93cbr f2. My ma wasnt too crazy on it, but my dad said it was my decision because he got booted from his house when he was my age for bringing a motorcycle home. I just had to wear a helmet at all times. At first they insisted I take a class even though ive had 4wheelers and motoX bikes since I was 5, but I talked them out of it. I do think that would be a good idea to have your kid do though.

I really dont think it matters how much experience you have riding machines if you dont have the common sense to know how to drive safely on the road with other motorists. And sometimes, it doesnt matter how good you can drive, how safe you are, or how much experience you have, it just may be your time where you get hit by another stupid driver.

not2bigyet is offline Member
    closed coarse racing is the only way to go

SMYL_GR8 is offline Senior Member
    Even if he's mature and disciplined, the available power of a sportbike is too intoxicating to trust someone of his age to ride responsibly all the time. He will ride during times of the day and weather conditions in which he should not. Make him wait.

decadbal is offline Banned
    ive rode bikes since i was like 5, its all on if he knows how... you can screw around on it and not get hurt, its hte ppl who dont know the limit and try to push it..

system admin is offline Owner
    I love street bikes, but the fact is that MOST who have owned one has been down. Everyone I know who has a bike for more than 2-3 years and are regular riders, has been almost killed due to the "other drivers" People who drive cars are not used to watching out for bikers. My dad refers to them as murdercycles :-)

Quote Originally Posted by muriloninja
    Yeah, and it sounds like he is one of them (Bad Drivers). One minute you say he is a good driver then you post this ****? In the biking community he would be known as a "Squid". He sounds like the type that does not need to get a street bike.

"He's just a little daring and has absolutely no fear" = Dead Child!

Think twice about it, the boy's not ready for it IMO.

I don't mean to sound to harsh but it is your child were are talking about here.
    I know what you're saying.......he was just one of those kids who jumped on a dirt bike and was instantly fast......alot of natural talent.....BUT what happened is he got so fast that when you do make a mistake....and everybody makes one sooner or later .....man you crash HARD......on a streetbike......you crash dead......so the talent aspect is a two edged sword.......you have good balance and reactions......but that tends to make you ride faster cause it's too easy......

The faster you ride on the street, the less likely the cars will see you during a lane change. BAD NEWS I almost died because of it.

Bc

Quote Originally Posted by system admin
    I love street bikes, but the fact is that MOST who have owned one has been down. Everyone I know who has a bike for more than 2-3 years and are regular riders, has been almost killed due to the "other drivers" People who drive cars are not used to watching out for bikers. My dad refers to them as murdercycles :-)

Bro......I've about pulled out in front of riders several times......it blos my mind......even with the lights on I still didn't see em until almost too late......that would suck.....killing some bro on a bike.

By the way... it was not me that I was worried about once I was laid up with tubes. It was my fathers face and sadness while he watched me helpless that I wanted to fix.

just my .02

The faster you ride on the street, the less likely the cars will see you during a lane change. BAD NEWS I almost died because of it.

Bc

Man that's good you're still alive.......yeah......twice as fast the impact is four times the energy. And alot of times riders just do foolish stuff like squeezing between cars

By the way... it was not me that I was worried about once I was laid up with tubes. It was my fathers face and sadness while he watched me helpless that I wanted to fix.

just my .02
    I was half freakd when he broke his arm in motocross......can't imagine a helicopter ride with critical injuries from a streetbike......yuck

Not worth it. Then again it is not worth NOT living life. The smart choice would keep him on the dirt bikes. Cars are the biggest problem

Bc

Blown_SC is offline Retired Vet
    Not worth it. Then again it is not worth NOT living life. The smart choice would keep him on the dirt bikes. Cars are the biggest problem
    Bc
    Why must you hurt me BC.. lol.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information