Iowa is offline Banned

Who elses bench sucks?

Wondering who out there has a crappy bench compared to their other lifts. I do. My chest isnt small or out of proportion it just weak. Never been strong on it, probably never will. Any pointers? I think ive tried pretty much everything.

anaBROLIC is offline Only The Strong Survive
    post this in the workout forum...

PurePower is offline Senior Member
    triceps are the key to a good benchpress.

MMC78 is offline Senior Member
    Mine does. I've never tried to max, just concentrated on being a bodybuilder and making the muscle grow. Funny thing is that chest is one of my best bodyparts.

Money Boss Hustla is offline Retired Moderator
    I can't even do my own weight anymore. My shoulder hurts too much.

juicehoe is offline Anabolic Member
    im the same way... im 170lbs and new best at 265lbs. I dont have a small chest either. In fact i think my chest is one of my better parts. I always had a weak bench... started at a 65lbs bench. I remember it took forever to get the 135 (u know the 45 on each side lol). I was so proud of that back then. I see this kid at my gym whos 150lbs and benchs 300lbs clean. Thats crazy to me. When i can bench 300 at my weight ill feel cool again lol
    Last edited by juicehoe; 09-28-2004 at 10:36 PM.

Dally is offline The Dally Lama
    could very well be that exactly... it could be your shoulders are weak or too strong and overpower....

I dunno, I have really strong shoulders, I seem to military press more than most at my gym can bench.. and my bench isnt that good, but still in muscle mass size to weight lifting ability.. if there is such a comparo.. then my chest should be alot stronger.

I guess, but instead of trying to bench .. try something else heavy flyes .. cable flyes, how many people you know you can fly 200 pounds a side? .... not many, so try other movements, in the long run it'll help you overall.

G'luck mang

Iowa is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dally
    could very well be that exactly... it could be your shoulders are weak or too strong and overpower....

I dunno, I have really strong shoulders, I seem to military press more than most at my gym can bench.. and my bench isnt that good, but still in muscle mass size to weight lifting ability.. if there is such a comparo.. then my chest should be alot stronger.

I guess, but instead of trying to bench .. try something else heavy flyes .. cable flyes, how many people you know you can fly 200 pounds a side? .... not many, so try other movements, in the long run it'll help you overall.

G'luck mang
    I dont know what the deal is bro, but I think my shoulders just might be overpowering my chest like you said. I can military more than 90% of the people at the gym, but get smoked by about 90% of them on my bench. The weird thing is that my flyes are strong as hell along with my cable crossovers. Whenever I bench, I can really feel it in my shoulders as well as my chest. Should I narrow up my grip? Anybody feel free to chime in.

crazle43764 is offline Associate Member
    How bout this..I can bench 235 for 20 but I can only bench 315 for 2 Does that make sense to anyone..im 6'1 and 230.

AandF6969 is offline Made Up Of Wires
    Quote Originally Posted by Iowa
    I dont know what the deal is bro, but I think my shoulders just might be overpowering my chest like you said. I can military more than 90% of the people at the gym, but get smoked by about 90% of them on my bench. The weird thing is that my flyes are strong as hell along with my cable crossovers. Whenever I bench, I can really feel it in my shoulders as well as my chest. Should I narrow up my grip? Anybody feel free to chime in.
    Ya bro, if you narrow your grip to just about shoulder width it works your chest more. Farther out and its shoulders, farther in and its tris.

TheDfromGC is offline Anabolic Member
    ive got pretty ****ty bench, can rep 145 on barbell shoulder press 8 reps and can rep 115 on barbell curls but can only max 240 on bench....always had ****ty bench....

TheDfromGC is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by crazle43764
    How bout this..I can bench 235 for 20 but I can only bench 315 for 2 Does that make sense to anyone..im 6'1 and 230.
    thats weird, my buddy in high school could put up 225 for 10 and he could max 330....think its mental

juicehoe is offline Anabolic Member
    Endurance is different then 1RM... depends how u train.

Dude-Man is offline Anabolic Member
    how are your squats, cleans, and 40 yard dash? if they're decent you should try out for the NFL for db or wr.

crazle43764 is offline Associate Member
    My squat is about the same..I can rep out a decent weight like 315 for 30 reps but if I try a one rep max its terrible maybe 400 and some? The only thing I am good at is deadlifting I dont really do cleans in my workouts so I have no idea what I could clean?

needmorestrength is offline Anabolic Member
    Man I had a lot of problems.. so I switched to heavy dumbells., focused on my incline bar and close grip bench for tri's... now my close grip for reps is higher then previous max.. my incline is still stronger then my flat though

Phillyboy1 is offline Anabolic Member
    bench has always been a strong point for me
    im 180 - 185 lbs and have a max of 355lbs for bench and 245 for shoulder press, im just lucky i guess. ill be happy when i hit 405
    my gym's dumbells only go to 125's so i do them for all three sets and 120s for inclind.

i have noticed one thing, make sure your shoulders are back and your traps are against the bench. also feet on the floor and back flat. no archy sh-t

Thread Information