Angry Ok, wtf is that all about!?

Oakland police halt DUI checkpoints

Immigrant activists say roadblocks discriminate against those without licenses

By Heather MacDonald, STAFF WRITER

OAKLAND -- Oakland police officers have stopped setting up roadblocks to check whether drivers are under the influence because of a rash of complaints from the Latino community and City Council President Ignacio De La Fuente.

The checkpoints, which allow officers to demand licenses and proof of insurance, are an effective way to get drunken drivers off Oakland's streets, city leaders agree. But the checks also have ensnared dozens of illegal immigrants who are not licensed to drive yet otherwise obey the law.

"These checkpoints make people's lives miserable, not make them safer," said Jesus Rodriguez of Oakland Community Organizations, which filed most of the complaints about the checkpoints. "I've watched while the police have towed away cars (full) of groceries, leaving children crying on the sidewalk."

The complaints and pressure from De La Fuente, who represents the largely Latino Glenview-Fruitvale district and plans to run for mayor in 2006, prompted police Chief Richard L. Word to order his officers to hold off on any more DUI checkpoints while new guidelines are drafted.

"The checkpoints are a great tool for law enforcement," Word said. "We'll develop a better focus on drug hot spots and stopping sideshows."

However, the month-long moratorium on checkpoints has outraged Councilmember Larry Reid (Elmhurst-East Oakland), who calls the change a threat to public safety.

"It is absolutely insane to stop these checkpoints," Reid said. "I would not want to explain to a mother why we stopped doing these checkpoints when we know they work and her son or daughter was killed."

Reid also criticized elected officials for "micromanaging" the police department, although he did not single out De La Fuente for blame. Reid and De La Fuente are usually on the same side of issues before the council and recently worked together to propose a measure to raise taxes to hire more police officers.

The new checkpoint guidelines, which are not final, may call for police to notify Latino community organizations of the time and location of coming checkpoints. The checkpoints will be held after the evening rush-hour commute and rotated throughout the city, officials said.

"It's simple common sense," De La Fuente said. "You don't want to stop people going to or from work. If there are kids in the car, give someone an opportunity to call someone to pick up their kids rather than create chaos."

Legislation that would have allowed illegal immigrants who submit to background checks to apply for a California driver's license was vetoed this week by Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger. Both Word and De La Fuente supported the legislation.

While officers have some discretion, the cars of unlicensed drivers are usually towed. To get their cars back, owners must pay $125, plus any storage fees. That is a significant burden to many illegal immigrants, Rodriguez said.

Reid said he has little sympathy with Rodriguez's position.

"I don't care if they are illegal immigrants," Reid said.

"They should not be driving on our streets without a license, without insurance. I expect the Oakland Police Department to do its job and get them off the street."

The council is expected to take up the issue at its Oct. 19 meeting.

Ok folks... what the HËLL is wrong with that picture???

Next thing you know, INS officers will have to make an appointment with illegal aliens before raiding a sweat-shop? Maybe cops should also announce to drunks where and when they'll be checking for DUI...

Geez....

Red

Money Boss Hustla is offline Retired Moderator
    Individuals have too many rights nowadays.

system admin is offline Owner
    What the FuK!!! You have got to be kidding me! Those MF make me sick! The illegal aliens are not happy with the way WE do things? Isnt that a daamn shame??? I dont know why... but that truely pisses me off

bc

BTW.. these guys make better livings than some of my friends. They now stand on this one particular corner and wait for work. 6 years ago, you could give them like 3-4 bucks an hour. Now these bastards DEMAND no less than 7 bucks or they will get out of the truck????? In terms of CASH 7 bucks and hour is like 9 bucks for the tax payer. Like I said... they make more than many people I know. Absolute Bull ****!!!!!!!

Bc

FCECC2 is offline Anabolic Member
    has to be a joke, its simply fukin ridiculous... looks like our stupids mowack (warriors)..

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Tells you a lot about Oakland Police huh?

~SC~

OSTIE is offline Senior Member
    On the point of immigrants making alot more than we know, I have always wondered that myself.... Last winter, I picked up a weekend job that worked around school where I drive a truck and deliver furniture. You will not believe some of the houses I visit where immigrants who can barely speak english, if they can at all, own these HUGE houses with fancy cars. Them barely speaking english leads me to believe they have not lived in the country very long.

ALSO, on one delivery, the address on the bill ended up being at the gas station where the arabian customer worked. We got it straightened out and went to the customers just built house and it was absolutely huge.

If people can come to this country and prosper, I am all for it, I have just always wondered how all these new people coming to our country all of a sudden have all this money????

Quote Originally Posted by system admin
    What the FuK!!! You have got to be kidding me!
    Honestly, when I read that it simply blew me away...

I mean come on... ILLEGAL aliens being given more rights and priviliges than citizens simply boggles the mind... I honestly don't know what to think when I read shît like that...

Quote Originally Posted by TRLS63
    has to be a joke, its simply fukin ridiculous... looks like our stupids mowack (warriors)..
    We have way worse in this province bro... mowhawks are just a few and are all in one place... on the other hand look at all the lazy fücks on BS (in Quebec BS=Bien-être Social=welfare) who cash in their $600 check every month, get free dentist, free eye doctor, free glasses, free ambulance and on top they work under the table for cash at $10 an hour 7 days a week...

Get out on the montreal area and go into the countryside, there are tens of thousands of people like that all over Quebec. Ever wonder why 1/2 of your pay is taxed every week?

I always wondered how so many BS in st-jerome or ste-agathe could have a brand new F350 pickup, 2 ATV's, a skidoo and 2 seadoos...

And then we have our ILLEGAL aliens who get instant medicare benefits and lodging right off the boat.... I am all for giving benefits to true refugees who enter the country legally looking for a new life... but illegal aliens who by definition broke the law to enter my country should not get benefits... they should be put on the next outbound flight or ship and given the Royal Canadian BOOT!

(Yeah articles like that one pïss me off too!)

Red

FCECC2 is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Ketchup
    We have way worse in this province bro... mowhawks are just a few and are all in one place... on the other hand look at all the lazy fücks on BS (in Quebec BS=Bien-être Social=welfare) who cash in their $600 check every month, get free dentist, free eye doctor, free glasses, free ambulance and on top they work under the table for cash at $10 an hour 7 days a week...

Get out on the montreal area and go into the countryside, there are tens of thousands of people like that all over Quebec. Ever wonder why 1/2 of your pay is taxed every week?

I always wondered how so many BS in st-jerome or ste-agathe could have a brand new F350 pickup, 2 ATV's, a skidoo and 2 seadoos...

Red
    soo so true! man it make me pissed off when i see a report in the news about how much welfare cost to us and how many lazy ass we got on it. it make me want to hunt and kill them till the rest of them work!!! theres way too many lazy fuker that just dont want to work that take the right to fuk the honest workers in the ass by having 3-4 & more checks send to them mann i wish i could speak english well to express my hatred toward those worthless POS

end of rant.

Mart651 is offline The Redneck Queen of the Lounge
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Ketchup
    Honestly, when I read that it simply blew me away...

I mean come on... ILLEGAL aliens being given more rights and priviliges than citizens simply boggles the mind... I honestly don't know what to think when I read shît like that...

And then we have our ILLEGAL aliens who get instant medicare benefits and lodging right off the boat.... I am all for giving benefits to true refugees who enter the country legally looking for a new life... but illegal aliens who by definition broke the law to enter my country should not get benefits... they should be put on the next outbound flight or ship and given the Royal Canadian BOOT!

(Yeah articles like that one pïss me off too!)

Red

Now you can move down to warmer weather. it seems we are getting more like Canada every day. Hopefully this new trend does not come below the mason dixon. Our imigrants still work for 4 dollars an hour and thats if the been at the same job for more than 2 years.

The South will rise again.

chances is offline Associate Member
    To add to the list of WTF? things in California, it is now legal to be nude in the streets of San Francisco as long as you aren't "lewd" while being nude. The reason it is legal is that it is apparently difficult to prove lewd conduct. Nude yoga at Pier 39 (Fisherman's wharf), nude sunbathing in outdoor cafes. All legal. DA can't prosecute you. Before you get all excited about this, remember that the people most likely to want to show it, are people you would never EVER want to see naked.

And Berkley California is in the process of legalizing prostitution. They want to use current women's shelters as whore houses, and use city workers as madames. Go People's Republic of Berkley.

chance

kloter1 is offline Southern Steel Bodybuilding
    mas cervesas

Quote Originally Posted by chances
    To add to the list of WTF? things in California, it is now legal to be nude in the streets of San Francisco as long as you aren't "lewd" while being nude.
    Hee hee hee same kind of thing in the city of Toronto... it is now legal for women to walk around bare chested in public in toronto.

A womens group battled the nudity ban in court claiming it was discriminatory for men to be allowed ot go around shirtless but not women. Judge said OK.

But as you so well said, don't get excited, the only women you see now and then bare chested are the butt ugly butch dykes or hippy grannies... you know the kind of people that do to your libido what a speedo wearing 300 lbs snow white sunbather on a florida beach in january does to your appetite...

Red

Rod Farva is offline Associate Member
    The DUI checks are back on. Check out the last sentence of the article...interesting...we never had this problem in Spurbury, VT.

Oakland DUI checks back on

Mayor orders return of DUI stops

By Heather MacDonald, STAFF WRITER

OAKLAND -- Mayor Jerry Brown on Monday ordered the on-again, off-again vehicle checkpoints back on track, calling the stoppage "a dumb idea."
    Oakland police officers will restart the roadblocks next week, despite complaints from the Latino community and City Council President Ignacio De La Fuente (Glenview-Fruitvale). The last checkpoint happened more than a month ago.

"The so-called moratorium is hereby terminated," Brown said Monday. "The whole thing was a dumb idea."

According to law enforcement officials, the checkpoints are an effective way to get drunken and unlicensed drivers off Oakland's streets.

However, the roadblocks also swept up dozens of illegal immigrants without licenses or insurance, leaving many without transportation to get to work or the grocery store and causing hundreds of dollars in fines and fees.

"I wanted to make sure we were doing the checkpoints up in the hills and down in the flatlands," De La Fuente said. "I wanted to make sure it was equitable."

Brown said he ordered a review of the whole issue, and directed police Chief Richard L. Word to put together a full report.

"You don't make policy in the bowels of the police department," Brown said.

Word said the department stopped doing the checkpoints while new rules were developed in conjunction with the community and De La Fuente.

"I wouldn't call it a moratorium," Word said. "I would call it a rethinking."

Councilmember Larry Reid (Elmhurst-East Oakland) praised the decision to resume the checkpoints. Last week, Reid said the police department's failure to run the checkpoints was a threat to public safety.

"I want the law enforced across the board," Reid said. "If you have no license, no insurance, and you get stopped, your car will be towed."

Under the new guidelines, Oakland police will notify the public of the general area of the checkpoint, and set it up after the evening rush-hour commute. In addition, the roadblocks will be rotated throughout the city, Word said.

"To do more than that would defeat the purpose of the checkpoints," Word said. "But we also need to be sensitive to the community."

Word credited the checkpoints, funded with state grant money, for helping to reduce the number of fatal accidents in Oakland, down 22 percent this year from 2003. Five of the last six fatal accidents involved unlicensed drivers, he added.

bermich is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by system admin
    BTW.. these guys make better livings than some of my friends. They now stand on this one particular corner and wait for work. 6 years ago, you could give them like 3-4 bucks an hour. Now these bastards DEMAND no less than 7 bucks or they will get out of the truck????? In terms of CASH 7 bucks and hour is like 9 bucks for the tax payer. Like I said... they make more than many people I know. Absolute Bull ****!!!!!!!

Bc

7 dollars??? In California, the wont even ask what the job is unless you tell them 10 dollars. I swear that is the gods honest truth. They dont even know what the job is and 8 dollars an hour is not enough. PLUS, they expect you to buy them lunch and pay them for that half hour.
    I will NEVER again rent another mexican off the corner. I will find a highschool kid and pay him the money instead.

I cant believe the police feel rights are being violated. I dont even have anything to say about that.
    So basically, they are allowed to drive a car without a license because it is discrimination not to let them drive without a license? I wish I could get away with that.

bermich is offline Anabolic Member
    I love knowing where check points are before I leave a bar drunk. Helps me route my way home better before I plow into someone.

AandF6969 is offline Made Up Of Wires
    Quote Originally Posted by bermich
    I love knowing where check points are before I leave a bar drunk. Helps me route my way home better before I plow into someone.
    Yeah dude if youre not worried about getting stopped by the cops, you can concentrate on the important things... like passing out before you hit the stoplight!! Or sliding into a family of six!!

jonnytour is offline Member
    This has to be one of the stupidist things i have ever herd of!! I am somepletely dumbfounded!! I don't know where to start...there are just soooo many things wrong with this whole situation. How do unlisenced, uninsurred drivers get away with it?? Is it not discrimination against the legal citizent of the country to let the ILLEGAL immigrants away with it? This just infurriates me to no end!! Makes me want to shut down the borders of our great countries and say to those who want in to FACK off and go back where they came from!!!

decadbal is offline Banned
    how can a non citizen have more rights than a citizen.

Panzerfaust is offline Ron Paul Nuthugger
    This literally makes me want to ****ing vomit. I am so god**** sick and tired of the blackmail bull**** these god**** immigrant groups pull on law enforcement etc...

And people are fighting and dying for our country, wtf? Why would anybody wish to die for a country that allows itself to be ****ed over and over again?

My blood pressure is through the roof, i have no sympathy for a god**** illegal piece of ****.

Give me control of the country for 1 month and i swear to the lord in heaven no immigrant would attempt to cross the Rio Grande ever again. The border would be laced with mine fields, tanks, attack helicopters etc....

Don't get me started....

Rod Farva is offline Associate Member
    We need something like they had in Gangs of New York. In one scene they were welcoming the immigrants to the country and as the adult males got off of the boat that took them here, they were marched right over to the military signup sheets.

These illegals want to be here so bad, let them go to Iraq for a short stint and take the place of a legit American. We can use some cannon fodder over there. See how much border crossing you have then.

NEWSFLASH - FROM NOW ON ANY ILLEGAL IMMIGRANT CAUGHT TRYING TO CROSS THE BORDER WILL NO LONGER BE PICKED UP AND DROPPED OFF RIGHT BACK ON THE OTHER SIDE ONLY TO TRY TO CROSS AGAIN. NO, NO. IF YOU ARE PICKED UP YOU WILL BE DROPPED OFF AT THE MARINE RECRUITING STATION AND "ENCOURAGED" TO JOIN THE MARINES BY A FEW HELPFULL DRILL SARGENTS. THANK YOU IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR PATRIOTISM.

Thread Information