Wrath is offline Associate Member

Housebreaking a puppy

Hey yall...I just got a border collie puppy a couple of weeks ago and it has been hell housebreaking him. I've been using the crate method, and keeping him in the crate when I can't keep an eye on him but when i take him outside for an hour he won't wanna sh it.

EVen worse he wait till I am back at the front door and assume the 'position' right there on the **** welcome mat, all the while im trying dragging him to a patch of grass. He never wants to pee or **** in the little dog park, where is tons of grass but rather pee and sh it on the cement in front of the building!!

any suggestions on getting him him comfortable using the dog park spot and not concrete...shortening the time it takes him?

He's a cute mofo right now
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Housebreaking a puppy-picture014.jpeg   Housebreaking a puppy-picture016.jpeg  

sniper320 is offline Member
    he is cute, that puppy could Sh t on my face and i wouldnt even get mad.

1badcamaro is offline Anabolic Member
    haha, that is hilarious...........um the only thing i can think of is to clean up the spot where he poops and pisses with vinegar, and then rub his nose in it, he shouldn't go there again, so that should help, now the only problem is getting him to go the grass.

OGPackin is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sniper320
    he is cute, that puppy could Sh t on my face and i wouldnt even get mad.

hahaha...ya me to bro. Hes a cute little guy! Whats his name..?

He keeps going in the same spot because he's smelling himself from when he went before. Try doing what 1badcamaro recommends and that should help..Good luck!!

OG

Fat Guy is offline Senior Member
    He is a cute little bugger… Puppies are a pain in the a$$ when it comes to house training. However, if you are consistent he will learn.
    First, what I would do is to put baking soda on places he has used the bathroom on because he can smell where he went before and thinks it is OK to go there again.
    Secondly, I would take him to the little dog park every hour on the hour. In addition, I would keep a close eye on him when he starts to sniff the ground and looks like he is searching I would take him to the potty park.
    Most importantly, you will really need to reinforce your puppy when he does go to the restroom in the right place. You can do this by verbal praise and little doggy treats.
    Overall, it will just take time and care on your part to condition him. Male puppies are more challenging to train, but once trained it is all worth it.
    One last note, do not be punishing to him when he goes in the wrong spot because then he will be afraid and start peeing in corners when your not looking. The best thing you can do is clean it up and throw some baking soda and vinegar is a good idea,on the area to eliminate the smell. Furthermore, when he goes potty in the right spot praise the bugger greatly.
    Good luck and enjoy your puppy.
    Last edited by Fat Guy; 10-01-2004 at 12:56 PM.

OGPackin is offline Anabolic Member
    Also bro, make sure u take him out after he eats...

OG

ttuPrincess Guest
    we trained winny by saying "OUTSIDE" and putting his paws on the door before we went outside that way he would be able to tell us he had to go..

the crate method worked great for winny, you have to be very consistent though as to taking them outside right away..

for the smell and the spot he seems to like.. they make "Bitter Apple" get it at Petsmart. spray it on the spot, and spray it in their mouths.. YUCK!!!!

and BTW.. awwww what a cute baby!!!!!

Psychotron is offline Anabolic Member
    It took me exactly one week. I have a male golden retriever who i got at 7 weeks old. First teach him sit, you can do this easily by holding a treat infront of his nose and bringing it down is back, he will sit to try to get it. Keep doing that.

Then everytime you take him outside make him sit before the door. In soon time he will learn that going and sitting at the door is what he needs to do when hes gotta go.

The other thing is, after naps, food play he HAS to go outside, he will need to goto the bathroom. And until the puppy is around 8 weeks he wont have any control over his bladder, so I would suggest a timer every 30mins to take him outside no matter what hes doing.

always take him to the same spot, dont let him off the grass till he does goto the bathroom, dogs will look for the most absorbent thing when going to the bathroom so I dont know why hes going on your front stoop. praise him when he does goto the bathroom, and just ignore him when he does something bad, getting angry wont help.
    if you have any more questions pm me or direct them in this thread.
    Last edited by Psychotron; 10-01-2004 at 02:02 PM.

biglouie250 is offline Anabolic Member
    dude, border collie is one dog you need a lot of time with. they are smart as hell and you have to spend atleast an hour a day devoted soley to them(not including feeding and potty times) becasue they are too smart for there own good. I have heard stories that they destroy things if you dont play with them enough because they can be spiteful and have tons of energy. But i think its worth the time because you will be able to teach the little guy many things that other dogs simply cant do. They are very eager to learn. IE- fetch beer from the fridge.

1badcamaro is offline Anabolic Member
    and be easy on him, i mean sometimes we all krap on the carpet, would you want someone hitting you when you had an accident like that?

OSTIE is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ttuPrincess
    they make "Bitter Apple" get it at Petsmart. spray it on the spot, and spray it in their mouths.. YUCK!!!!
    LOL, you ever taste that stuff? Its fckin gross. My friends ma had that for their puppy when we were all in HS, so me and my friends dared eachother to spray it into eachothers mouths. Not cool at all.

Sage is offline Anabolic Member
    crate method worked the best.....u really need time to housebreak him by taking him out almost every hour/2 at least for the first few weeks......pick him up and carry him to the grass urself and eventually he will get used to doing his business there and not on the cement......wipe the spot anytime he sprays/poops in the house with carpet cleaner and he will not return to that same spot....as soon as u c him sniffing the floor in the house its a sign to take him outside immediately....i give my pup treats when he is all done with his business outside one each for #1/#2 and if he could i am sure he would do it all over again just for the cookie.....lol

BTW, a very nice looking puppy, but aren't they all.....

decadbal is offline Banned
    everything he does you dont like, beat it almost to death, after a few asswhippins, like anythjing, itll figure it out..

Dally is offline The Dally Lama
    how big is your crate and how old is the pup?

Psychotron is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Decadbal
    everything he does you dont like, beat it almost to death, after a few asswhippins, like anythjing, itll figure it out..
    i did that with my dogs biting and eating of things, i just wait till he screws up. i never did it with he had an accident though, i just put him outside and cleaned it up. he hasnt pissed or pooped in the house since the first week i got him. i think now he knows what are his to bite.

id work on the "wait" command as a puppy aswell so he knows your the alpha male.

Wrath is offline Associate Member
    Thanks for the advice yall...he's doing alot better now, and finally pee ing and
    s hitting on the grass.

His name is roscoe, and he turn 3 months on friday. His crate is big ...for a 70 pound dog, but it came with a divider to make it smaller.

mushroomstampr is offline Associate Member
    and don't forget to walk him past that hot neighbor's house. While their little and cute puppies can help you pick up some ladies. My ****zu stays cute its whole life and has gotten many random females to stop for a lil chat.

decadbal is offline Banned
    did u beat its ass, take pics, lets see that sick shiiit

Thread Information