solid-d is offline Member

Arnold S. Encylopedia of modern bodybuilding.. Who has read it

I just got the book.. Its like 800 pages and looks really good so far.. But a few things I find weird with it.. I been lifting for 8 years, and been lifting heavy the last 6 years.. I train each body part every 5 days(on avg.) It seems to be working ok.. But in the book, it says beginers should lift each body part 2 times a week, and the more advanced should lift 3 times a week per BP... Now that seems like a real lot.. I dont know how I could keep up with that.. I know Arnold was taken lots of juice back in the day and I know that will make a HUGE difference on recovery.. I dont consider myself a body builder, but i have been training like one for a while.. I would like to 'step it up' and follow the book.. It seems like alot of what is said in the book isnt the best advice, at least not what i learned over the years.. Mabee its because his muscles are so big that it will require 20 hard sets to work it..
    Well, I hope you see what Im trying to get it.. Anyone read the book, follow the workouts..ect...

MIKE_XXL is offline SCAMMER
    Personally i think it is a waste of 800 pages worth of trees...when was this fool-tool writen...???...just think about how far has technology moved forward...the knowledge of training and nutrition has moved forward as well, that's why we have new records being set in olympics and all other sports...there is more current information availabe supported by new reasearch about exercise and nutrition...i would not follow anything from that book, that's my 0.02 cents...and by the way i think Arnold is tha man...just not a writer...XXL

decadbal is offline Banned
    i agree, the book is crap

punk_bbuilder is offline Senior Member
    Read it....i like the pictures

i want my dam $25 back...

The Baron is offline Fourth Koala of the Apocalypse
    It's a great book, as long as you don't try to follow his recommended training schedules LOL! Yeah we have learned a lot since then. But it is worth the $ for the pics, the history, the anecdotes, all the little factoids, etc. Personally I think even if you are juicing his scheds are, well, a little crowded up together. I do a 10 part split, training every day. Each part gets hit hard once every 10 days, with some parts also getting hit in supporting roles about halfway between, when doing related parts. It is a very low-impact plan and I don't have to live a bodybuilder lifestyle just to keep some decent size. If I trained like Ahnold sez, I would be spending half my friggin life in a gym. My sessions last about 20 minutes, and I train at work, on coffee break, so no time lost. Arnold came up when even a recreational, non-competing bodybuilder trained all day and worked a part time job LOL!

TexasFitnessGirl is offline Female Member
    I love the book!!!!

Aboot is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by solid-d
    I just got the book.. Its like 800 pages and looks really good so far.. But a few things I find weird with it.. I been lifting for 8 years, and been lifting heavy the last 6 years.. I train each body part every 5 days(on avg.) It seems to be working ok.. But in the book, it says beginers should lift each body part 2 times a week, and the more advanced should lift 3 times a week per BP... Now that seems like a real lot.. I dont know how I could keep up with that.. I know Arnold was taken lots of juice back in the day and I know that will make a HUGE difference on recovery.. I dont consider myself a body builder, but i have been training like one for a while.. I would like to 'step it up' and follow the book.. It seems like alot of what is said in the book isnt the best advice, at least not what i learned over the years.. Mabee its because his muscles are so big that it will require 20 hard sets to work it..
    Well, I hope you see what Im trying to get it.. Anyone read the book, follow the workouts..ect...

Which version, the one published a few decades ago or the one released a few years ago?

bigol'legs is offline Quadzilla
    The posing parts of the book are GREAT and the pics.

Quote Originally Posted by bigol'legs
    The posing parts of the book are GREAT and the pics.
    I agree, I like the calves section? Don't know exactly why just interesting!

solid-d is offline Member
    oh, its the new version..

rev911apollyon is offline Junior Member
    i Have it, read it all (lots of pictures), good book, real good info. But yeah the workout schedules in it, are pretty rugged.

63190 is offline Anabolic Member
    I managed to do the beginner routine for 2 years. That got me the shape I am in my avatar. Creatine and ON's Serious Mass (one bag). I liked the split, but every one tells me that's to much. I think a body will adapt.

partyboynyc is offline Anabolic Member

i agree with xxl

Quote Originally Posted by MIKE_XXL
    Personally i think it is a waste of 800 pages worth of trees...when was this fool-tool writen...???...just think about how far has technology moved forward...the knowledge of training and nutrition has moved forward as well, that's why we have new records being set in olympics and all other sports...there is more current information availabe supported by new reasearch about exercise and nutrition...i would not follow anything from that book, that's my 0.02 cents...and by the way i think Arnold is tha man...just not a writer...XXL
    i think everyone should read and own it for it's historical aspect. i feel this is when bodybuilding was classic and admired. i own it and love all the great pictures of classic bodybuilders. i look through it probably once every few months just to see my idol Zane, but other than that the info is outdated and the execise selections are common knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasFitnessGirl
    I love the book!!!!
    So do I...you people are crazy that say it's crap.

Quote Originally Posted by partyboynyc
    i think everyone should read and own it for it's historical aspect. i feel this is when bodybuilding was classic and admired. i own it and love all the great pictures of classic bodybuilders. i look through it probably once every few months just to see my idol Zane, but other than that the info is outdated and the execise selections are common knowledge.
    Great way to word it......My thoughts exactly, except the Frank Zane part. kind of like Arnie myself.

columbo looked better.... bottom line, he should have a book..

MIKE_XXL is offline SCAMMER
    OK great book for the pictures i will give it that...XXL

.45Caliber is offline Associate Member
    My friend has the book, and I read and looked through most of it. For me, I feel the routines were way advanced. Its not someing I would spend money on.

Quote Originally Posted by Decadbal
    Yeah I love that guy too! He looked awesome!

R.Gotti is offline Banned
    800 pages sure I ll read it.

is crap.

MASStermind is offline Banned

Columbu looks horrible no

Do a search for Columbu online and see a recent picture of him. He doesnt look very good at all. Even the handsome face has digressed into something else. You want someone who has kept in optimum shape through his entire life then we are talking about the man Louie. The picture below is of him at the hulk permier couple of years ago. Anyone who takes steroids and follows basic training and nutrition can look decent in their youth. Its the old timers that look great that I have utmost respect for.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Arnold S. Encylopedia of modern bodybuilding.. Who has read it-franco.gif   Arnold S. Encylopedia of modern bodybuilding.. Who has read it-francocolumbu.jpg   Arnold S. Encylopedia of modern bodybuilding.. Who has read it-lou-stan.jpg  
    Last edited by MASStermind; 10-06-2004 at 05:38 PM.

l6873 is offline Associate Member
    What's this?

JDawg1536 is offline "Rock" of Love ;)
    When I was new to working out, I followed the beginners routine, in 4 months I put on 30 lbs, and looked like I do in my avatar. Nothing special, but I was happy with my progress. Ive since been told the routines are crap, but I might go back to them because thats what worked for me. Just my .02 tho.

And he should have won the 77 Olympia also. Arnold won just because he was Arnold... He's still my favorite though

Thread Information