OGPackin is offline Anabolic Member

Ken Caminiti, the 1996 National League MVP - Dead

RIP! Its sad though when the title to the article says "admitted steriod user" like it was the steriods that killed him not all the cocaine he did....

OG

Caminiti, who admitted steroid use , was 41
    Associated Press

NEW YORK -- Ken Caminiti, the 1996 National League MVP who later admitted using steroids during his major league career, died Sunday. He was 41.

Caminiti died of a heart attack in the Bronx, said his agent-lawyer Rick Licht. The city medical examiner's office said an autopsy would be performed Monday, spokeswoman Ellen Borakove said.

Ken Caminiti spent 10 of his 15 seasons in a Houston Astros uniform, but he won the 1996 NL MVP Award while with the San Diego Padres.

"I'm still in shock," San Diego Padres general manager Kevin Towers said. "He was one of my favorite all-time players."

The three-time All-Star third baseman often was in trouble the last few years. His 15-year big league career ended in 2001, five seasons after he led the Padres to a division title and was a unanimous pick for MVP.

Just last Tuesday, he admitted in a Houston court that he violated his probation by testing positive for cocaine last month, and was sentenced to 180 days in jail.

But state District Judge William Harmon gave Caminiti credit for the 189 days he already served in jail and a treatment facility since he was sentenced to three years probation for a cocaine arrest in March 2001.

In May 2002, Caminiti told Sports Illustrated that he used steroids during his MVP season, when he hit a career-high .326 with 40 home runs and 130 RBI. He estimated half the players in the big leagues also were using them.

Licht said Caminiti hoped to get back into the game, possibly in a position that would allow him to mentor younger players about avoiding the mistakes he made. Caminiti did return to baseball this year, serving as a spring training instructor with San Diego.

"He didn't look good," Towers said. "I'm not surprised.

"The best way to describe him is that he was a warrior in every sense of the word. I can't tell you how many times I remember him hobbling into the manager's office, barely able to walk, and saying, 'Put me in the lineup.'"

Licht said Caminiti was in New York this past weekend to help a friend, but did not go into detail.

"Man, that's just a tough one. I played with him for eight years,'' Dodgers outfielder Steve Finley said Sunday night, learning of Caminiti's death after St. Louis eliminated Los Angeles from the playoffs.

"He was a great player, but he got mixed up in the wrong things -- taking drugs. It's a sad reminder of how bad drugs are and what they can do to your body. It's a loss all of us will feel."

Caminiti batted .272 with 239 homers and 983 RBI with Houston, San Diego, Texas and Atlanta.

Caminiti's defining moment during his MVP season came on Aug. 18, 1996, in the oppressive heat of Monterrey, Mexico, as the Padres prepared to face the New York Mets in the finale of the first regular-season series played outside the United States and Canada.

Battling dehydration and an upset stomach, Caminiti took two liters of intravenous fluid, then hit two home runs for four RBI in an 8-0 victory.

"I didn't think I was going to play that day," he recalled after the season. "I'd have to thank the training staff for getting me on the field that day. They made a bigger deal than I thought it was."

Towers and Licht both recalled the enormous ovation Caminiti received during a 2003 ceremony marking the Padres' farewell at Qualcomm Stadium. The team moved into a new ballpark this season.

Licht said he had to go to Houston to persuade Caminiti to make an appearance, and Towers remembered the former star was nervous.

"He didn't know what kind of reaction he would get," Towers said.

After being showered with cheers, Caminiti told Licht it was his greatest day in baseball.

"It's a shame for his family as much as it is for his friends," former Padres teammate Andy Ashby said. "He's got three daughters who are going to miss having dad around. It's a shame. It's a terrible thing."

Caminiti teamed with Tony Gwynn and Greg Vaughn in the middle of the Padres' 1998 lineup, leading them to the World Series, where they got swept by the New York Yankees.

"I'm saddened by the news. He was a terrific kid, it's unfortunate," Houston manager Phil Garner, who coached Caminiti, said from Atlanta. "What we all loved about Cammy was his devotion to the game and his desire for the game. But it went into uncontrollable levels with no discipline."

hung-solo is offline Anabolic Member
    he was one of my favorite players. i didnt realize he had those kind of problems.. hmm? i must be out of the loop or something. **** shame

ttuPrincess Guest
    sad to hear.. he was a good ball player.

kloter1 is offline Southern Steel Bodybuilding
    just watched a a review of his career on sportscenter. great player who got caught up in the wrong stuff. guy was a party animal unfortunalty left his kids w/o a father.

decadbal is offline Banned
    RIP and bless his family

houseofpain is offline Banned
    that sucks, i liked that guy a lot. never knew he was a coke head. RIP bro.

ttuPrincess Guest
    i was talking to this guy i work with today about this and the 1st thing he said was... "he died cause of his steriod use" ... stupid americans

allsaucedup is offline Member
    he was a great ball player but i guess the lifestyle caught up with him. AAS might have something to do with his heart attack but it was probably more the coke, crack and the drinking that got him he has also admitted to misusing aas he said he stayed on them for as much as a year and a half without coming off he was having to take test that was prescribed because his body was not producing it anymore he seemed like a good guy in the community here in houton rip and my prayers for his family

Rhino58 is offline Senior Member
    I saw a report that pointed his death toward cocaine. I didn't know that he admitted to using.

Demon Deacon is offline Anabolic Member
    I bet it was a combination of steroids and the cocaine. Look at how many wrestlers are dead.

houseofpain is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ttuPrincess
    i was talking to this guy i work with today about this and the 1st thing he said was... "he died cause of his steriod use" ... stupid americans
    tomorrow when you get to work go kick that dude right in the nuts and say "that's from HOP"

SMYL_GR8 is offline Senior Member
    Cam was the guy who said that more than half of major leaguers juice. He sort of threw gas on the fire of steroid use in MLB. Played intense, though, loved it.

ttuPrincess Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by houseofpain
    tomorrow when you get to work go kick that dude right in the nuts and say "that's from HOP"
    the funny thing is.. hes a coke head... and i replied... "are you sure it wasnt cause of his coke addiction?" his response "coke doesnt kill you "

stupid fat moron.. thats all he is

Demon Deacon is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ttuPrincess
    the funny thing is.. hes a coke head... and i replied... "are you sure it wasnt cause of his coke addiction?" his response "coke doesnt kill you "

stupid fat moron.. thats all he is
    What a numb nuts.

Butch is offline Anabolic Member
    Man I am still saddened by this...he was one of my favorite players...I liked jis party animal style...however, I did not apprvoe of his coke use...I sure hope he did not OD on coke....I am sur ethe mixture of years of steriods and then a pretty bad habit of coke sis him in. It's sad that he left his daughters behind and a wife as well...to this day I find it odd that people will do coke at that old of an age (not saying 41 is old)...it's just that ones heart can not take that...

RIP Cami....you will be missed!

Thread Information