Thread: Shutdown

Shutdown

Everytime i've gotten online lately. I've had a screen pop up saying that it was shutting my computer down. Immediatly I figured that since I made a new install of XP Professional that I had forgotten to install the patch to keep the sasser worm from getting back on my computer.

Well I downloaded a removal program and nothing came of it. So I figured it might have been a bad program so I downloaded another and nothing. Then I scanned my computer with norton and it found nothing. Went online to a site and scanned it and it picked up two files and supposedly fixed them. Well still when I get online i'm having that **** thing pop up. The only way I'm staying online is from using shutdown -a from my command prompt. Even then many things arent working. It's just keeping the shutdown from occuring. I notice the svchost.exe files in the task manager is completely overloaded. Any ideas or thoughts would be very appriciated. Thanks.....

max2extreme is offline Anabolic Member
    I work in IT too. Ive never seen this happen before. If this were to happen to me, Id just spend a few hours and re'install the OS and see if it happens again. If so, then you know its not a virus and something with your computer. Sorry.

max

Elysium is offline Productive Member
    go to run, type in msconfig and see what startup services are set, if there is an dodgys ones untick them.

Thanks for the opinions...I've looked at msconfig and at one time had some spyware boot up,but I got it off there before this happened. I'm quite sure its a virus. Seems to be very similar to msblaster worm. I just haven't found anything to fix it yet.

If all else fails im going to have to reinstall windows. Only problem is my disc is kinda skanky and makes it hard to read everything. I wouldn't have waited this long if it was clean. Thanks for the help though guys..

kloter1 is offline Southern Steel Bodybuilding
    avg antivirus has been great for me, may wanna try that. might also try a regedit and delete anything that could be spyware. try a search for symptoms like that popup. sophos.com is a good site for virus stuff.

max2extreme is offline Anabolic Member
    I was just about to say AVG....its found viruses before that Norton couldnt find. Try that.

Thread Information