Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HIV man made?

Carlos_E is offline National Level Bodybuilder/Hall of Famer/RETIRED
    Quote Originally Posted by johan
    You somehow seem to think all the peopel doing the research for the bigger companies is pigs and assholes that wouldnt mind keeping the discovery from the public just so that the company they work for can earn more cash.

I mean seriously do you think the researchers would shut the **** upp?? It wouldnt no matter the cash they would trie and bribe me with. I couldnt live on knowing how many people I could have saved if I had spoken.
    My roommate is a Ph.D., MD, got his Ph.D. in HIV research. From his research it turns out the most common medication used to treat HIV positive patients will delay the patient from developing AIDS but actually causes the patient to become sicker when they develop full blown AIDs. He and a few others who did similar research presented their work to the AMA and the drug companies were upset. They didn't want to consider having to change their approach in treatment. Change would cost money. I went to one of their presentations at an AMA meeting and the people that got up and walked out were the ones who work for drug companies. Only other doctors stayed to ask questions.

helios is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hung-solo
    um it makes perfect sense. disease supplies jobs and revenue. tons of it too. think if they found a cure for lets say cancer in general or better yet the common cold. a lot of people would be out of a job and companies would go under... its proven that companies make more money off covering symptoms than curing them..
    I would love to see cold hard facts of yours... So I guess the government also wants everyone obese and smoke? yeah...bc you can tell what a great job thats doing to our healthcare system.

Also you seem to forget about something rewarding those who come up with new intellectual property. ITS CALLED A PATENT. if an independent company invents a new drug that get the sole rights for it for specified amount of time.

Now, tell me do you really think a company is going to keep a new potential drugs under wraps if they get the inherent fortune of created such a drug? Thats cutting your nose to spite your face. By rewarding those who invent we are actually SPURRING these drugs to be created, and hence to the market. Kinda makes your argument of "people loosing jobs and companies going under" a little bogus and trite.

So ask again, where do you get your backwards economics?
    Last edited by helios; 10-19-2004 at 02:01 AM.

LORDBLiTZ Guest
    No one wants to find a cure for aids. The world is growing at an alarming rate. We're consuming the worlds resources like they're going out of style. Just because we have nice cars and cell phones, that doesn't mean that dark days aren't ahead. We're just plain running out of resources.

The govt. doesn't care how much money they'd make off the drugs, because if people didn't die, there wouldn't be anything left to spend the money on. The money would become worthless.

John_Knoxville is offline New Member
    You people who think the drug companies would hide a cure for any disease are total idiots. Do you have any idea what a huge profit a company would make off a cure for aids. Stop being so stupid and get an education

Quote Originally Posted by John_Knoxville
    You people who think the drug companies would hide a cure for any disease are total idiots. Do you have any idea what a huge profit a company would make off a cure for aids. Stop being so stupid and get an education
    Personally I don't believe in such a conspiracy... too x-files'ish for me... but it is a possibility... think about it...

Right now the drug companies are already making a fortune off HIV/AIDS drugs. They are prohibitively expensive and only the richest or best insured can afford them.

Now comes a miracle... a cure is developped or a vaccine prevents it forever. You would think the drug companies would make a fortune off it don't you?

I see just the oposite happening... HIV/AIDS as an epidemic is a clear and present danger to the world. How long after a cure or vaccine until the governments of the world step in and basically legislate or downright take over so it's freely or affordably available to the people who need it most?

Sounds wild? Just look back in history at the way epidemics were handled...

Now I don't believe any drug companys is "holding back" because money or no money, HIV/AIDS is an epidemic and it must be stopped one way or another.

Red

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information