Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Small Bouncers

Ammar is offline Senior Member

Small Bouncers

Do you think 5'11'' 210lbs is too small to be a bouncer at a bar?? Reason I ask is because most bouncers I see around here are like 6'4 250+lbs but fat. Rarely I see the HUGE mother****ers but I was thinking of getting a part-time job as a bouncers somewhere.

Mart651 is offline The Redneck Queen of the Lounge
    I bouncad at 5'10 180 in a few different bars. I was well respected in the area and did not realy have to be that big. I think the big guys are there for the fear factor. No matter how big my fellow bouncers at the bar was if a good fight broke out they always made sure I had their back.

Quote Originally Posted by Ammar
    Do you think 5'11'' 210lbs is too small to be a bouncer at a bar?? Reason I ask is because most bouncers I see around here are like 6'4 250+lbs but fat. Rarely I see the HUGE mother****ers but I was thinking of getting a part-time job as a bouncers somewhere.

USfighterFC is offline Anabolic Member
    Just so long as your capable of fighting back bro. When it comes time to do your job you cant be afraid.....I say go for it if there are other bouncers there with you.

Testify is offline Senior Member
    I've seen bouncers smaller than you before. You are certainly bigger than the average person. I don't see why you couldn't do it. Like USFFC said, they always work in groups anyway.

Besides, after you decide to cross over to the Dark Side, you'll easily be 230.
    Last edited by Testify; 02-19-2004 at 03:05 PM.

Danielle is offline Female Member
    i've seen plenty of small bouncers......like US fighter said........as long as your strong enought and capable of fighting back...you should be fine
    Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, THAT IS STRENGTH

IronCy is offline Senior Member
    Its all about your skills, you dont have to be a giant--as long as you can "open up a can of whoop ass on someone" Those are the best fights to be in--when you opponent doesnt respect you....i will admit tho, smaller bouncers tend to get tested more...be ready to put up or shut up.
    -Cy

TheOak182 is offline Associate Member
    Go for it bro! I have seem some bouncers that are like 5'8" but they are tough as nails!

KrashRoute is offline Associate Member
    I think as long as you know how to fight your good at like 180.... Ive seen meat head juiced up bounced that were like 6' 235 get dropped flat on ther backs by guy that were like 165.

Phillyboy1 is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KrashRoute
    I think as long as you know how to fight your good at like 180.... Ive seen meat head juiced up bounced that were like 6' 235 get dropped flat on ther backs by guy that were like 165.
    seen it to, the bigger dont always mean that better

LilVito469 is offline Banned
    they bigger they are the harder they fall...

spywizard is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer~
    You can controll through Intimidation (size..) with out it you have to back up your authority with action..

That's why a small dog is more likely to bite... where as a large dog doesn't..

Ability................ we all have 2 legs.. too bad the 6'4" 240 lb college student with the basketball ride, had to have his knee broke because the 5'11" bouncer had to apply force to remove him..

just an oppinion...

I have bounced while in the AirForce... largest i was 5'9" 180 lbs.. the difference.. i could dislocate your shoulder faster than you could pull your arm away from me..... and we had the same crowd all the time.. so usually it didn't come to that but 1-2 times a year when we had new guys come to the base..

Alot of chicks... pain in the arse.... loved workin the door...

I think though you have made up your mind.. so ........good luck..........
    The answer to your every question

Rules

A bigot is a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted
    to his or her own opinions and prejudices, especially
    one exhibiting intolerance, and animosity toward those of differing beliefs.

If you get scammed by an UGL listed on this board or by another member here, it's all part of the game and learning experience for you,
    we do not approve nor support any sources that may be listed on this site.
    I will not do source checks for you, the peer review from other members should be enough to help you make a decision on your quest. Buyer beware.
    Don't Let the Police kick your ass

monster. is offline Anabolic Member
    Naw, Size helps defintley when you are throwing people out.. Size plays a fractional part, with the intimidation factor.. I know 300lbs creampuffs that, couldn't defend themselves in the least bit.. I also know 220lbs brawlers, that will handle a situation the correct way, and avoid violence untill a troublemaker crosses the line in a bar..I would ask yourself a few things if you are interested in bouncing.. Can you defend yourself, Do you consider yourself a 'people person', can you communicate well with others? Can you control your temper? Are you afraid of getting hurt? Can you handle attitudes, of the dipsh!ts and whores (i'm sure you can handle the whores..hehe) that would come in everyweekend.. If you are confident, I would say go for it.. I started at 220lbs when i was 19 i've been bouncing about every weekend for the past 4 years straight, and I can honestly say you will enjoy it.. It's easy money, and good times..

When i first started bouncing, I had no experience with dealing with drunks.. At the time during the interview, my manager asked me if i ever bounced, I said no, he said, ''good, you'll learn the right way how to do things here'' It makes all the difference when you learn and work with a bunch of experienced bros, I got lucky in my eyes.. My best advice is use your head.. 90% of all the people that cause trouble, leave quietly.. The other 10% leave the hard way.. <<hence my signature>> Like the saying goes: "be nice, until there is a time not to be nice" That is the god honest truth, security says alot about the bar, carry yourself well, and use your head in situations and you'll be fine..

have fun with it!!
    Last edited by monster.; 02-19-2004 at 07:06 PM.

Mighty Joe is offline Anabolic Member
    Ammar,

5"11 210lbs ain't that small bro!

I bounced in NY back a few years ago. If you work the same club every night a reputation begins to form. If the patrons know the bouncers can handle there jobs than usually you won't have to do much fighting at all.

I worked a club that had 25 bouncers a night during special nights and all of us were BIG except this one guy who was 5'10 185lbs. A huge brawl broke out one night and someone hit him from behind and he went absolutly friggin crazy. It ended up that the rest of the bouncers had to try and stop him from killing a few people. I mean I never saw anybody fight like this guy before he was an ANIMAL!

As a bouncer you never want to fight but if it happen, well than IT HAPPENS!

MJ

Ammar is offline Senior Member
    Alright cool I appreciate all the input. Now I just have to find a bar. One other question, can I bounce at a bar if I am not 21?? Sounds stupid but I am curious.

I live real close to Canada so I know some people that bounce over there. The drinking age is 19 over there so tons of kids from here go across the border for the weekend to go to the bars. Their is a HUGE strip and its filled with bars. I am thinking about going over there...

BDTR is offline Retired
    I bounced for years.. Although always big, but my good friend who i worked with was about 6ft 175 but a great submission expert and knew how to restrain people, nevr had any problems. The only real problem smaller bouncers face is getting hired and they lose the intimidation factor that big bouncers have over the customers.

mass junkie is offline banned
    I would like to try it myself...I always ask the bouncers their height and weight.......and even though im always shorter than them im usually heavier than them.......with bigger arms and chest......I just dont feel big at 5'6 228

bermich is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bdtr
    I bounced for years.. Although always big, but my good friend who i worked with was about 6ft 175 but a great submission expert and knew how to restrain people, nevr had any problems. The only real problem smaller bouncers face is getting hired and they lose the intimidation factor that big bouncers have over the customers.

I couldnt have said it better. Getting hired, intimidation and submission holds.
    You dont need intimidation if you can actually take the guy down.
    If you can get hired based on who knows you, then you are in.
    Doesnt matter how big you are or how big the other guy is if you know how to take guys down just by grabbing his arm or getting behind him.

BJJ is all I can say for any bouncer. Or just be as big as bdtr.

Alright cool I appreciate all the input. Now I just have to find a bar. One other question, can I bounce at a bar if I am not 21?? Sounds stupid but I am curious.

I live real close to Canada so I know some people that bounce over there. The drinking age is 19 over there so tons of kids from here go across the border for the weekend to go to the bars. Their is a HUGE strip and its filled with bars. I am thinking about going over there...
    Speaking of windsor, I actually was offered a job there a few years ago at Bentleys.. Too long of a drive for me.. Bars in the D will hire you if you are under 21, I know up in pontiac they are always hiring, another long drive.. I heard Rain is hiring, there is always emerald, they need guys with a lil more size, everyone there is under 200lbs!!!! Try the whore-loft, the loft, emerald, Skinnys, or Rosie O' gradys.. All those bars i heard were hiring from my bros, not sure on what the pay is though.. I don't bother if its under 100 a night, not worth my time..

Those are good sh!t holes to get your feet wet though!!

Whats the scene look like out there where you're from.. Do they pay decent bro? I have a good friend that actually goes down to daytona to bounce for spring break.. easy 5 grand for 2 weeks worth of work.. I always wondered what they pay in different states.. It's anywhere from 20-25 an hour here..

LOL... I can see Bdtr asking someone to leave: Listen bitch gtfo or you can volunteer to be my cycle whore!!!!!

BDTR is offline Retired
    Depends... lots of crap bars pay horrible, sometimes just a bit above min wage, then i've made up to 150 a night at better boston nightclubs where crowd control got to be difficult. I dont do it anymore because i no longer need the money, but i'm thinking about doing it part time just because i miss it, it was a lot of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by monster.
    Whats the scene look like out there where you're from.. Do they pay decent bro? I have a good friend that actually goes down to daytona to bounce for spring break.. easy 5 grand for 2 weeks worth of work.. I always wondered what they pay in different states.. It's anywhere from 20-25 an hour here..

LOL... I can see Bdtr asking someone to leave: Listen bitch gtfo or you can volunteer to be my cycle whore!!!!!

Depends... lots of crap bars pay horrible, sometimes just a bit above min wage, then i've made up to 150 a night at better boston nightclubs where crowd control got to be difficult. I dont do it anymore because i no longer need the money, but i'm thinking about doing it part time just because i miss it, it was a lot of fun.
    Oh yea man, The fuked up part is you actually get paid to throw down if you have to.. It's good times, save for the smoky atmosphere and loud ass music on a regular basis.. I don't think I do it much for the money, but the bigger clubs pay the bigger bucks, cause thats where the trouble comes in.. I'm defintley not complaining at all.. Myself and probally one or two other bros actually bring food, and protein drinks, and protein bars in the club!! Keep the consuming the calories when we are working.. Actually the main reason why i started bouncing was to work concerts, I had the oppurtunity to work a few (kidrock, limp bizkit, aerosmith/metalica, eminem), but i was always bouncing at the bars the night of the concerts.. I have worked raves in the past, usually favors for friends, but they are illegal in the first place, and that didn't last long.. I have some good fuking storys!!!!!! Its good times though for sure!!

bermich is offline Anabolic Member
    A few of my so called friends are so called bouncers at a club in hollywood. He has some lame ass stories but he says he gets tipped 20 spots to let people in. Sometimes 50 bucks to give vip treatment, money to keep an eye on certain things for people, etc. So its not just about the wages. Its about the benifits.

Jack87 is offline Retired Vet
    I would think at first no, If I didn't have a good friend that bouces
    and only weighs about 190lbs soaking wet at 5'7"...

Of course he is one of those freaking natually strong ass mofo's putting up
    over double his bodyweight and knows how to **** people up real qucik...

I say you could do it, sure.... It's not all about size bro...

jerm is offline Banned
    I've bounced when I was 6'2 185. And the other bouncer at the club was 6'2 115 or some bullcrap like that skinny ass dude. I quit the next day, I thought someone was gonna back me up not this puss they had working there.

thegorilla is offline Associate Member

Depends on ability

Size has its benefits but its not about the size. From a boucing viewpoint, ability is the issue. I know kids who understand the theory of 'if control the head you control the body'.

Being a bouoncer of 8+ years I have found that getting behind an engaged opponent and choking him doesnt take much of an effort and I dont need my 250 pound frame to help me. I have found that the less I weigh the quicker I apply the choke.

Bouncing

IMHO

Control the head and you control the body.

my .02

TheInfamousApe

TheGorilla

JohnDoe1234 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOak182
    Go for it bro! I have seem some bouncers that are like 5'8" but they are tough as nails!
    Hell yeah, I'm 5"7 and I sometimes get bar owners, and bouncers asking me if I want a job . I think it's very flattering. As a matter of fact I guy I know really wants me to work with him over the summer as a door guy for a club/bar. Hell $150 for like 6 hours work sounds good to me . We'll see though.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnDoe1234
    Hell yeah, I'm 5"7 and I sometimes get bar owners, and bouncers asking me if I want a job . I think it's very flattering. As a matter of fact I guy I know really wants me to work with him over the summer as a door guy for a club/bar. Hell $150 for like 6 hours work sounds good to me . We'll see though.

Holy crap that much in that short of time........i'm gonna come to your bar and start some trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by USfighterFC
    Holy crap that much in that short of time........i'm gonna come to your bar and start some trouble.
    Like the Wu Tang clan once said my man, "you best protect yo neck" . Hell maybe I can hook you up with work .

bigdog81 is offline Member
    thats right...
    give'em hell bro.
    i got asked to be a bouncer last week at a bar in nashville.
    cant really complain....150 for the weekend is cake work for throwing people out on their face.
    but **** happens..by boy is 6'4 275 right now and hard as junk...
    he broke up a fight last sat. night and ended up w/his nose broke..
    bummer...but it comes w/ the job..lol

Hell man I'd work alongside with you anyday. We'd be the first AR bros to kick some ass together.

Hell man I'd work alongside with you anyday. We'd be the first AR bros to kick some ass together.
    Hell yeah baby!, anytime anywhere. Imagine the stories we could post up here .

BLACKZILLA is offline Associate Member
    I think size only makes people intimidated sometimes, thus avoiding confrontations. I'm 6'6 and almost cracking the 300 mark. I can tell anyone who wants to listen that your ability to communicate is millions of times more important than size. I deal with that at work, and if there is any ever chance of a bar confrontation I try to avoid it. That being said, training on how to defend yourself and attack the enemy is invaluble. Who cares if you can press 500lbs but can throw a punch or wrestle around on the ground with someone? There are so many different ways of controlling people using pain its unreal. Many come without getting blood on your shirt or breaking your hand on someone's face IMO......by the way my boys from LI, you let me know and I got ur backs!!!

I got a question for all you new yorker bouncers.. Whats the deal with the clubs in manhattan, Do you guys bounce anywhere in the city, or just on LI.. I would assume those bars pay the best.. Aren't you guys open till 4am too.. Where i'm from they stay open till 2am (most likely changing it to 4am in the near future from what i hear) Whats ur shifts look like.. 5-6 hour shifts like it is here.. It probally depends on the club, but i was just curious?

<<sorry for the hijack ammar>>

I got a question for all you new yorker bouncers.. Whats the deal with the clubs in manhattan, Do you guys bounce anywhere in the city, or just on LI.. I would assume those bars pay the best.. Aren't you guys open till 4am too.. Where i'm from they stay open till 2am (most likely changing it to 4am in the near future from what i hear) Whats ur shifts look like.. 5-6 hour shifts like it is here.. It probally depends on the club, but i was just curious?

<<sorry for the hijack ammar>>

I bounce in Manhattan and yeah the bars stay open till 4am. My shifts are looooooooooooong. I go in at 7pm and I leave at around 4:30am.....sometimes longer. I get like 150 a night and where i work isnt to bad but to be honest at times there are only 2 or 3 bouncers trying to control a crowd of about 150 at night and it gets a little hairy at times but nothing major has ever happened yet so i guess thats why they dont hire more bouncers.

Oh by the way one of the bars I work at the bouncers are about 5'7" 185 but tough little f*ckers.

I bounce in Manhattan and yeah the bars stay open till 4am. My shifts are looooooooooooong. I go in at 7pm and I leave at around 4:30am.....sometimes longer. I get like 150 a night and where i work isnt to bad but to be honest at times there are only 2 or 3 bouncers trying to control a crowd of about 150 at night and it gets a little hairy at times but nothing major has ever happened yet so i guess thats why they dont hire more bouncers.
    Thanks for replying USF.. Thats about right with the bouncers.. For every 50 people you should have one guy on, 100 people 2 guys, etc.. Ultimately it depends on the crowd, or the paticular night.. Your rate is a lil below average, but it doesn't matter... At least tell me you guys get cash money per night - no taxes taken out.. Does the bar hire individual bouncers, or do you work for a company that staffs the bar.. I've worked for both, and now a group of us that worked together just stick together and go in and staff a bar if need be.. Our bottom dollar is 20 an hour per bouncer.. For anything less it's not worth the time bro.. I can understand with favors and all.. Like i said before it all comes down to the paticular crowd the bar draws in.. You guys must get a bunch of tourists coming in, out of towners - I'm sure you earn your money by the end of the night.. One paticular bar I bounce we do about 1500-2000 people through the door every saturday night (it's about 1400 that stay give or take).. We have upwards of 18 bouncers on staff.. Granted i would say only a handfull can pull their weight, the others float around and portray themself as security, but only a handful will actually get in the sh!t.. One of the owners is a middleaged Italian guy, My 3rd year in this place, and he finally knows me by first name - before he would just call me 'son'.. haha Son go get that fuk out of here now!!! good times!!! LOL

Thanks for replying USF.. Thats about right with the bouncers.. For every 50 people you should have one guy on, 100 people 2 guys, etc.. Ultimately it depends on the crowd, or the paticular night.. Your rate is a lil below average, but it doesn't matter... At least tell me you guys get cash money per night - no taxes taken out.. Does the bar hire individual bouncers, or do you work for a company that staffs the bar.. I've worked for both, and now a group of us that worked together just stick together and go in and staff a bar if need be.. Our bottom dollar is 20 an hour per bouncer.. For anything less it's not worth the time bro.. I can understand with favors and all.. Like i said before it all comes down to the paticular crowd the bar draws in.. You guys must get a bunch of tourists coming in, out of towners - I'm sure you earn your money by the end of the night.. One paticular bar I bounce we do about 1500-2000 people through the door every saturday night (it's about 1400 that stay give or take).. We have upwards of 18 bouncers on staff.. Granted i would say only a handfull can pull their weight, the others float around and portray themself as security, but only a handful will actually get in the sh!t.. One of the owners is a middleaged Italian guy, My 3rd year in this place, and he finally knows me by first name - before he would just call me 'son'.. haha Son go get that fuk out of here now!!! good times!!! LOL

LOL yeah its a good job sometimes gets on my nerves but to answer your question I dont work for a company....i actually was offered the job by the bar owner a night i was out drinking and they had no bouncer so I said yeah i'll do it as a favor cuz i always wanted to try it and he liked me and asked me to come back. Well in NY everyone seems to be a tourist and I must get 10 tourists a night and a few under agers who dont walk by me without increasing my pay for the night.......like it or not. Occassionally the 260 pounders walk in and give me their ID and I just give it back to them and tell them to "be good". Unfortunately one night it didnt turn out that way and I had to deal with 2 at once and i think it's safe to say it was a fight that was completely lopsided with me getting one of the most wicked uppercuts ever. But other than that it's been pretty good.

Yea, size ultimately doesn't matter.. When the sh!t goes down, you gotta use ur head, i've seen alot of guys lose it before.. You get death threats, fuk your mother, your going to die.. blah blah blah... You can't take it personally its just a job in my opinion.. It helps tremendously if have some sort of fighting experience, or can defend yourself.. But size only plays a marginal role.. One time size did matter, you'll like this one bro.. My one buddys is a house.. 6'2 330... Only guy i saw in the flesh rep out 585lbs on the bench (twice, but it was all him) this is where it gets good, If you can believe it a group of sheriffs picked a fight with us one night while we were working, It was a brawl, the kind of chaos you don't know who your throwing on, My hands were sore for days after, probally broken knuckles.. Well to make a long story short, this one guy was probally 6'4 350+ a fat ass.. there was myself and about 5 other guys that had this guy wrapped up and we were slowly going out the bar with him.. Here comes my buddy, walks up behind him, puts him in a headlock, and picks him up (feet off the ground) and walks him out by himself!!!!!! That was the most impressive thing i ever saw.. In that paticular case size helped out alot..haha, i got so many fuked storys its stupid.. It gets old though

Yea, I've gotten black eyes, lost my tooth. broken knuckles.. cuts.. No broken bottles, or stitches though.. <knock on wood> The guys with size that come in the bar are usually respectable, its the little fukers that gotta prove somehting is the ones that start the trouble..

LOL yeah the stories is the best part but you're right it does get tiring dealing with drunks all the time who get the "liquid courage" but as you said earlier its about 85% communication. I've taken sambo for 16 years so I have something to fall back on but people still suprise me at times. I lost a lot of weight though and i need the intimidation factor back. LOL i've worked with the powerhouses before and it's always fun watching them handle their business. My good friend was knocking the sh*t outta some dude after he was smacking his g/f in the bar while the cops were watching! The cops saw his smack her so they let my friend get his shots in. But Manhattan has so many cops that if there's serious trouble the cops are pretty much really close by. Where i work in the summer it can be absolutely crazy...like friggin Mardi Gras and its like fighting season your just busy all the time. I love the perks to the job but there are many down sides to it and the downsides are reaaaaally bad. I have to work tomorrow and I just recieved a death threat the otherday and they both said they'd be back saturday night to "slit my f*ckin throat".....yeah we'll see. Monster what city do you work out of?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information