Thread: Hows your gym?

needmorestrength is offline Anabolic Member

Hows your gym?

ok guys hows your gyms? Mine's not to bad.. I go later in the day so we get some good music pumping and there is usually serious people there! there's a lot of little things though.. the gym owners need to sink some money in.. I think they don't know how to count because our dumbells go from 105's to 120's, which is terrible! there's about 4 machines with broken things on them such as cables or knee rests.. there are no accurate scales lol no jokes.. I can't even weigh myself in the gym and they won't buy new ones because they always get broken.. I could go on.. but I guess it doesnt matter too much as long as we keep ..

stocky121 is offline VET~ Recognized Staff Winner - $100
    my gym is in the same mess that your's is in it has come under new managment about 3 month's ago but the new manager had run it into the ground i would go somewhere else but it is a good gym it is close and there is a lot of serious people there

yea it sucks cuz this is the only other gym other then the ymca!! the owners have nice cars etc but never put money into what gets them the money in the first place

decadbal is offline Banned
    i try to get in where no one is ther,e before 5 if i can, or after 7, i hate the ppl in there, they always ask stupid stuff, talk and expect me to waste time educating them... plus they want u to spot em and so on, im a gym snob i think

Sounds as though you might have some "people person issues" lol

Danielle is offline Female Member
    i must say...as far as i know for the most part, nothing in my gym has broken or not worked properly when i used it...........pay too much money to have to deal with that stuff.........the owner of my Gold's is ALWAYS there...which is good.....whether im there at 8 in the morning or 8 at night.....hes there....

and forget about not racking your weights...........that just does not happen at my gym........you know to put every weight back that you picked up.......
    Last edited by Danielle; 10-18-2004 at 01:53 PM.
    Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, THAT IS STRENGTH

Neo
    Neo is offline Senior Member
    I go to Gold's Gym....the owner is very good at keeping the place up to date and very clean.....

fitnessNY is offline Senior Member
    My gym is quite good, NYSC. It is crowded after work, that doesn't bother me because I always workout in the am before work, 5 days a week.

Quote Originally Posted by Danielle
    i must say...as far as i know for the most part, nothing in my gym has broken or not worked properly when i used it...........pay too much money to have to deal with that stuff.........the owner of my Gold's is ALWAYS there...which is good.....whether im there at 8 in the morning or 8 at night.....hes there....
    Heyy F#$k you guys with your fancy gold gyms haha if I had a gold's gym Id be loving life!!

fitnessguy is offline Anabolic Member
    Gold's Gym here too!
    one of the best i've been to.

Elysium is offline Productive Member
    I go to Fitness First, www.fitnessfirst.com

They are pretty state of the art, but there is a load of pretty boys that go

hmm maybe I should open a Gold's gym

mushroomstampr is offline Associate Member
    I use my university's gym, and its pretty new and good. It just pisses me off that they dont have a seated row machine or a bent over row/T-bar(hope that's the right name), so my back workouts havent been up to par when I went to gold's back home.

The Baron is offline Fourth Koala of the Apocalypse
    I train where I work. I have a homemade bench, a pair of 20" olympic dumbbell handles, two pairs of QuickLee collars (love those things!) about 300 lbs of loose plates in 4 milk crates, a pair of gloves and a pair of straps, and a place outside where I can do chins. That's all I need, and I own it. No maintenance, no fees, and I don't have to go somewhere to train.

Okay, so there are no dummies between 105 and 120... big deal. Buck up! Use the 105ers and modify your form so you still hit failure with that weight. When you can't achieve failure, then go with the 120s, and cheat a little if you have to. Remember, as you go up in weight on the dummies, the cost increases bigtime. At 50 cents a pound, how much does it cost to buy 10 through 40 lb dummies in 5 lb increments? Okay, now from 100 to 120? A lot of gyms scrimp on the bigger fixed dumbbells. They aren't cost effective. Only about 1/3 of the membership probably would ever use them that size.

When I used to train at a commercial gym, I kept a pair of olympic DB handles and some good collars in my locker. I could make up whatever weight I wanted to the nearest 2-1/2 lbs. If having 110 and 115 lbers is a big deal, bring your own oly handles and use the gym's plates, or get some of those magnetic plates that stick on the end of the dummies.

I read a post on a usenet forum a few years ago. the original poster complained about his gym not having hot water in the showers and the AC not handling the load in the summer. This other guy replied... he was from one of the bits and pieces of Yugoslavia... don't remember which. During the fighting, he trained in a gym that an enterprising neighbor established in an unused nuclear shelter. No ventilation, no running water. Some of the plates were cut out of old scrap steel. Fixed dumbbells were often as not made from pipe, tin cans, and concrete poured in the cans with the pipe set in place as the handle. The power was usually out, so they trained by candle light. Bombs falling nearby would rattle plates and stuff. They had to bring in their own drinking water and the smell was awful but lots of guys trained, some natural, and they were some big boys.

Buck up. You should appreciate the fine gym that you have. Just my two kopecks.

Quote Originally Posted by mushroomstampr
    I use my university's gym, and its pretty new and good. It just pisses me off that they dont have a seated row machine or a bent over row/T-bar(hope that's the right name), so my back workouts havent been up to par when I went to gold's back home.
    You people and your gold's gyms lol.. man you just need to brew up old school.. chin's.. bent over bar and dumbell rows, corner rows can't go wrong with those till you go back to your fancy Gold's gym lol

imann is offline Member
    We have a lot of skinny morons that tend to get in the way,the dumbells stop at 130 and they are all f*cked up(bent,loose,rusted,etc.) and it gets crowded as hell.....but we have a great group of hardcore guys..........there is always at least a couple of us in there to keep things motivated.......but it is free at our college.Keep liftin' and juicin'

63190 is offline Anabolic Member
    My gym used to be a Golds gym, but then they sold it to EP Fitness. Supposed to stand for Extreme Performance Fitness. They took away the T-bar row machine, and all the metal weights. Now every thing is rubber coated. The also took away all the 2.5lb plates. Can't make small 5lb jumps on barbell exercises now.
    T_T <---animé tears
    And the power racks for squats are not in front of mirrors. How am I to watch my form? They have the smith machines in front of mirrors. I don't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by The Baron
    I train where I work. I have a homemade bench, a pair of 20" olympic dumbbell handles, two pairs of QuickLee collars (love those things!) about 300 lbs of loose plates in 4 milk crates, a pair of gloves and a pair of straps, and a place outside where I can do chins. That's all I need, and I own it. No maintenance, no fees, and I don't have to go somewhere to train.

Okay, so there are no dummies between 105 and 120... big deal. Buck up! Use the 105ers and modify your form so you still hit failure with that weight. When you can't achieve failure, then go with the 120s, and cheat a little if you have to. Remember, as you go up in weight on the dummies, the cost increases bigtime. At 50 cents a pound, how much does it cost to buy 10 through 40 lb dummies in 5 lb increments? Okay, now from 100 to 120? A lot of gyms scrimp on the bigger fixed dumbbells. They aren't cost effective. Only about 1/3 of the membership probably would ever use them that size.

When I used to train at a commercial gym, I kept a pair of olympic DB handles and some good collars in my locker. I could make up whatever weight I wanted to the nearest 2-1/2 lbs. If having 110 and 115 lbers is a big deal, bring your own oly handles and use the gym's plates, or get some of those magnetic plates that stick on the end of the dummies.

I read a post on a usenet forum a few years ago. the original poster complained about his gym not having hot water in the showers and the AC not handling the load in the summer. This other guy replied... he was from one of the bits and pieces of Yugoslavia... don't remember which. During the fighting, he trained in a gym that an enterprising neighbor established in an unused nuclear shelter. No ventilation, no running water. Some of the plates were cut out of old scrap steel. Fixed dumbbells were often as not made from pipe, tin cans, and concrete poured in the cans with the pipe set in place as the handle. The power was usually out, so they trained by candle light. Bombs falling nearby would rattle plates and stuff. They had to bring in their own drinking water and the smell was awful but lots of guys trained, some natural, and they were some big boys.

Buck up. You should appreciate the fine gym that you have. Just my two kopecks.
    That's cool that you train where you are but it just doesn't allow for the veriety i like.. I do feel for people in countries like that and that's awsome that he can still train under those conditions.. And every day I am thankful for where I live and what I have... but everything's relative and I happen to pay 350-400 bucks a year for the membership in a place that is not kept up to par. there's at least 50% of the members who would use those weights for some excercise! And there's a lot of other things in the gym that are little, minor things.. aka the squat rack has lowe bars to place the weight for bent over rows and dead etc.. well the stoppers on the end of the bars were broken off about 4 months ago. and they have not replaced them.. instead they elevated the front of the squat rack making gravity keep the bar from rolling off! I watched a bud doing cable pushdowns and the cable broke. he was sent a flying... I can understand your point about the dumbells but things like this need to be fixed IMO

rugbyking is offline Associate Member
    i workout in a family gym. and unfortunately i go after work which is between 530 and 6. its always crowded even though they just remodeled and made the gym area 3x bigger. i usually see the same ppl all the time and there are only about 2 hardcore mofo's in there. i am the only person that i have ever seen deadlift in that gym. hardly anyone squats. noone squats any real weight. everyone stops at 225 ppl look at me crazy when im doing 340 for reps. we have all the rubber coated weights which i am starting to like more and more but our dbs only go to 105lbs. that sucks hardcore. most of the ppl in there have no clue what they are doing. i see alot of ppl doing arms every day i see them there. wtf you need to workout more than arms!!! ppl look at me crazy and i love it!!

cb25 is offline Banned
    I work out at the gym on a medical campus. Pretty small...no frills. But it has everything you'd need.

But i would like to have standing calf-raise or a t-bar row....that'd be nice.

most people in there aren't too serious...but there are a few. we mostly just nod approvingly and say nothing...everyone else is in there chattering away.

craneboy is offline Senior Member
    mine sucks (24 hour fitness sport) but its the only one open 24 hours and i workout at 4am during the week

Bigboy123 is offline Senior Member

slizzut is offline Senior Member
    24 Hour Gold's ... good stuff.

Sage is offline Anabolic Member
    i use my old college gym.....i pay nothing to use it and its close tomy house so can't complain although its old school and not state of the art like the most comercial up to date gyms..

63190 is offline Anabolic Member
    As long as you have free weights it's all good. Like some one already noted here: for t-bar rows, put an oly bar into a corner and load your plates on the other end. Put a tricep push down bar under collar and row away.
    For standing calves, put on your straps and do one leg dumb bell claf raises. I'm starting to like those better than the angled standing calve machine we have. When you get up in weight, you compress the hell out of you spine. I always end up doing hanging stretches between sets.

syncere is offline New Member
    bally's
    just about everywhere, all state of the art!
    of it's not there, try another bally's you will
    find what you need...but this is that city.
    "man i love this place we have it all."

Quote Originally Posted by Bigboy123
    That's quite impressive!!

Benches505 is offline 75% HGH 25% Testosterone
    I train at 3 different gyms Peaks,ballys,golds and of the 3 Golds has the best equip/ ballys has the hottest chicks/ and peaks stays open 24hrs.

I hear a lot of you guys complaining about the same thing....Dumbells stop at 120-140

So I ordered my own set of 180's with my initials on em

Commando_Barbi is offline AR's Arresting Angel Vet
    I workout in a military gym and its not bad. Equipment is rarely broken. Only problem we have are the people that don't want to rack their weights....or sit on equipment and have convo's and not move when someone else needs that machine or bench.

It's free...so I can't complain

I worked out at my first Bally's earlier this month in DC....not bad but man it was hard to focus with all the pretty boys around me and they didn't have much in the way of free weights/dumbells.
    1. Once a cheat always a cheat!
    2. YES, SHE can get pregnant the first time!
    3. NO, PULLING out IS NOT a RELIABLE method of Birth Control. DAMMMMIT..... Wrap that shyte UP!!

Women over 30 are dignified. They seldom have a screaming match with you at the opera or in the middle of an expensive restaurant. Of course, if you deserve it, they won't hesitate to shoot you, if they think they can get away with it.

For all those men who say, "Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free". Here's an update for you. Nowadays 80% of women are against marriage, why? Because women realize it's not worth buying an entire Pig, just to get a little sausage.

What the mind can conceive....the body will achieve!

finally the gym was dead only like 20 people tonight

Thread Information