Elysium is offline Productive Member

Job interview on thursday... Advice please :)

Hey guys,

At the moment i work for Microsoft, as an IT Coordinator. Its ok, money is good.

I got a call today from a large pc retailer who is opening a store in town. Its going to be a massive store, big turnover. They called me and explained that they had my CV, and wanted to invite me in for an interview, on thursday.

The interview is for an Assistant Manager.

This is a very big role, i feel i could do it as i have alot of supervisory experience and a sales background.

Im kinda ****tin it, i mean i have a good job, but this is an opportunity to step into management.

Has anyone got any advice? Advice for the interview, and any advice or experiences in terms of management.

Thanks a ton bro's

anaBROLIC is offline Only The Strong Survive
    Retail Sux..

MBaraso is offline Retired Mod
    You work for microsoft as an IT cord now and your asking us for interview advice? lol
    Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't microsoft known for it's strict screening policy, and don't you have to go through like 8 different interviews before you get a job with them?
    Oh and count on a PM or maybe even a phone call when I graduate

Maraxus is offline Banned
    Retail really sucks, I worked as a Manager at a retail store once. I would never, ever, ever, ever do it again. Plus remember as an Assistant you get all the negatives of being management, while the Manager gets all the praise. $hit rolls downhill in other words. Stick to the desk job, you wont regret it.

Quote Originally Posted by MBaraso
    You work for microsoft as an IT cord now and your asking us for interview advice? lol
    Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't microsoft known for it's strict screening policy, and don't you have to go through like 8 different interviews before you get a job with them?
    Oh and count on a PM or maybe even a phone call when I graduate
    8 interview?! Well i had three, a phone interview then two formal interviews. They hired me for my IT skills, and the fact that i am young. Im 19, 20 in december. I have worked in retail before, in sales. This is my first opportunity to become a manager as such

needmorestrength is offline Anabolic Member
    well man.. I dunno bigger companies arn't to bad because you don't deal with customers directly.. Wear a suit.. rely on your skills since they asked you! DONT tell anyone at microsoft!! You don't want to be left without a job.. GL dude

Quote Originally Posted by needmorestrength
    well man.. I dunno bigger companies arn't to bad because you don't deal with customers directly.. Wear a suit.. rely on your skills since they asked you! DONT tell anyone at microsoft!! You don't want to be left without a job.. GL dude
    nah im not gonna say nuthin. its a large retailer, and a large store. im gonna go and try and see what its like... they havent given me much info as yet, havent mentioned pay etc

MASStermind is offline Banned
    PM me with specific questions about interviwing but I got a question for you. Why go from IT coordinator to retail dude. Epsecially when you work for Microsoft. Doubt retail pays as much and retail hours just about suck balls.

Quote Originally Posted by MESSY_UK
    Hey guys,

At the moment i work for Microsoft, as an IT Coordinator. Its ok, money is good.

I got a call today from a large pc retailer who is opening a store in town. Its going to be a massive store, big turnover. They called me and explained that they had my CV, and wanted to invite me in for an interview, on thursday.

The interview is for an Assistant Manager.

This is a very big role, i feel i could do it as i have alot of supervisory experience and a sales background.

Im kinda ****tin it, i mean i have a good job, but this is an opportunity to step into management.

Has anyone got any advice? Advice for the interview, and any advice or experiences in terms of management.

Thanks a ton bro's

Quote Originally Posted by MASStermind
    PM me with specific questions about interviwing but I got a question for you. Why go from IT coordinator to retail dude. Epsecially when you work for Microsoft. Doubt retail pays as much and retail hours just about suck balls.
    Whoa whoa whoa.. dont read into this too much. They called me up and asked me to come for an interview! I didnt call them!

In terms of money, well i have no idea. The thing that attracts me to the position is the fact that its a managerial positon. Which i need to get onto the ladder.

Im treating it like a fact finding meeting, gonna go and find out as much info as possible.

Blown_SC is offline Retired Vet
    EYE CONTACT! That's the biggest piece of advice I can give you...

Hey guys

Right well its thursday, its 11:30am in the UK. And my interview is for 3pm. Done a ton of reading about the company so i know about tha side of things, wish me luck!

Thought i would ake a effort, so im wearing a shirt and tie i bought from http://www.thomaspink.co.uk/ they have gorgeous stuff, the shirts are made from egyption cotton and the ties are pure silk. Very nice. The suit im wearing is a hugo boss suit.

Right so im all set. Im just gonna chill now for a few hours... get myself ready, relax.
    Last edited by Elysium; 10-21-2004 at 04:33 AM.

MASStermind is offline Banned
    good luck

JdFlex is offline Senior Member
    Retail sucks. You're only 19, you have plenty of time to climb the corporate ladder.

Well guys, what can i say. The interview lasted 15 minutes.

Let me run you through things...

To start with the guy who interviewed me was the new general manager of the store, he was no older than 21/22. The first thing he said is based on your experience and qualifications you are not right for the position of Assistant manager. This personally offended me as i would put money on it my qualifications far exceed anything this kid has. Secondly, he was like 21! Hes lecturing me about experience!

Right well after he said that i kinda lost all respect for the guy. I kept smiling and was still polite though. He asked me a bunch of questions, explained a few things. Its my personal opinion that he wasnt very good at interviewing. At the end i asked him a few questions and that was about it.

He went onto ask if i would be interested in being a sales advisor, i said no. He then mentioned there was an assistant managers position at the old store (which is basically one room, a tiny lil store, pathetic) so i said no, he asked my why and i explained its not at the level that i feel i could contribute to.

Well, at the end of all that he said that if i had the position they would call me in the next few days.

Frankly im disgusted. Im feeling a lil rejected too!
    Last edited by Elysium; 10-21-2004 at 08:42 AM.

Thread Information