Muscle Mass is offline New Member

[B]Bodybuilding is still seen as an underground subculture by society. True or false?

share your opinion on this

needmorestrength is offline Anabolic Member
    I believe so.. You see add's for boxing.. wrestling etc.. but never anything for bodybuilding.. When a person wins the ultimate title (in this case the Olympia) in other sports its all over the news.. But do a search on TSN.. there's nothing about bodybuilding on there. There's not enough money in it for champ's like ronnie and Cutler etc.. Only in the last little while have have purse's gone up. The public doesnt recognize it as a sport and therfore its still underground in my oppion.. but as for a subculture.. I live in a town of 25,000 people and at one time there was 5 gyms! It's def getting more and more popular among young people.. working out isnt just about health for a sport.. it is its own sport now!

We are not accepted by society. Everybody calls me names like: Tarzan, Gorilla or Rambo. People don't admire you. They just consider you as freaks, outsiders. Take Jay Cutler for example. He hasn't got many friends, he can never go on vacation. He has to wear special clothes. You know what it is? A fat woman made fun of Jay and imitated the way he walked on the street. Being fat has become a standard in America. But being broad in the shoulders is still seen as a non-standard look. Another example: eating pattern. Of course you eat more. They make fun of me like: "why don't you eat the egg yellow? that tastes better!" or: "why do you have to eat so much?" they talk behind your back. But I have learned one thing: I do bodybuilding for myself. Not for my friends. If they don't accept me anymore, they can go to hell.
    Any may people think: Lots of gain, no brain. If you are muscular you must be stupid. You cannot be smart and muscular the same time. See how the media portraits us: the silent, dull, with speach disabillity, dumb, non-social monsters.
    Last edited by Muscle Mass; 10-21-2004 at 09:41 AM.

JdFlex is offline Senior Member
    Its acceptable to be in good shape, but its not acceptable to have large muscles. My fiance calls me The Block. People at work look at me differently and ask me why I want to be so big. I'm not even that big, but I'm bigger than all the other normal people. People make comments about me being on roids because how else could I be this big. I'm only 6'0", 215, around 14% bf.

elicotton is offline Associate Member
    Competitve bodybuilding is looked at as an underground subculture.

BigMike J is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JdJuicer
    Its acceptable to be in good shape, but its not acceptable to have large muscles. My fiance calls me The Block. People at work look at me differently and ask me why I want to be so big. I'm not even that big, but I'm bigger than all the other normal people. People make comments about me being on roids because how else could I be this big. I'm only 6'0", 215, around 14% bf.

People are stupid.. that's not that big. I mean yes bigger then your average joe, but that can be accomplished without roids.. people are lame and jealous pricks..

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Bodybuilding is an imtimate sport w/limited understanding of it's love.

Fitness however is mainstream, and contains tons of misinformative B.S.

~SC~

singern is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JdJuicer
    Its acceptable to be in good shape, but its not acceptable to have large muscles.
    Agreed

decadbal is offline Banned
    underground still by a long shot.. the only thing ppl know about bodybuilding, is arnold, steroids and being muscle bound...

I don't mind being a CEM (chemically enhanced monster).

mushroomstampr is offline Associate Member
    its a cult sport, but i would say to needsmorestrength so is wrestling(real wrestling not WWE). I don't care, I love wrestling and BB. I wanna get into some boxing or brazilian JJ soon too so Fuk anyone who don't get that i do it for me.

BTW, I'm small so nobody has called me Arnold or the Brick yet, but hopefully one day

partyboynyc is offline Anabolic Member

i love the sport

i just feel like the average male will never look like ronnie coleman and the average woman wouldn't and doesn't take guys w/ pro bb'er size seriously. it's not a mainstream appealing look. to us, we understand what it takes and can appreciate it. to other it's like a carnival sideshow and that i can understand as well if you look at it from the average person's perspective.
    additionally, EVERYONE KNOWS THESE ARE FULL SCALE DRUG ABUSERS so that takes away all it's credibility to the mainstream onlookers.
    i love the sport but i can see why in has no mainstream appeal.the way we look at female bodybuilders and go, "ugh look at her, she's nasty!!" well that's what the average woman says as well when they look at the men.

Thread Information