tubbytank is offline Associate Member

Fear of being small!!

Hmmm. I just want to know who else out there has a psychological defect and think they are small when they are not. I believe it actually has a name..it's the opposite of anorexia nervousa...i think it's called megarexia or something along those lines.
    Anyways, I am 125kgs and very big. YEt I see myself as small. But I know I possibly can't be, but if i miss gym for a few days I think I am shrinking and feel small. If I miss a week or two I feel like a skinny guy lol.
    Every now and then you get a wake up a see that you are big, but that fades soon. Like the other day, I was flexing in the mirror (as you do...you know you do) with my mate. Now my mate is a big somaon whos done roids before. And I look at him and think he's massive (he's bit heavier at 138kgs), and I wished I had his size. But in the mirror (we had clothes on) I am a lot bigger and better shape than him. I was quite chuffed! That's when I knew I was big. However what a difference 24 hours makes. Here I am, tired and thinking I am small. But I can;t possibly be.

Does this happen to you guys? Or am I just a freak. Okay maybe don;t answer that. Well not the freak part....

Also I hate it when you don;t think you look big and people say **** your looking big today, and when you think and feel big, people never comment. What's the go there. Or do I just live in the twilight zone???

Rhino58 is offline Senior Member
    Weightroom!!!

hung-solo is offline Anabolic Member
    eat like you are big bro. eat eat eat eat eat eat eat cant stress that enough.

No I have cut back on my eating to drop fat. I hit an all time high of 154kgs a few years ago (natural), and still thought I was small. Now I am 125, and want to get to 115. But prob is I wan;t to do a comp this year, and now will have to eat again. Just need to get off my ass and do cardio.

But really does anyone else think they are small when they are not?

decadbal is offline Banned
    yea, everyday

Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer
    I know what you are saying.
    I am not realy big at all(96kg and 181cm(210ibs and 5¨11)) but compered to most regular guys Im huge, but I always feel skinny as hell and it bugs me. It even goes so far as when I get a complement from someone I first doubt it, because I always suspect they are just ****ing around with me.
    From some angles I think I look big when posing but that feeling gets smashed completely when I hit the poses I dont look big it. Then I feel like a skinny girl

Only thing Im completely satisifed with is my quads.

Body dysmoprhia or something like that its called.

DevilsDeity is offline Anabolic Member
    Reverse Anorexia or Bigorexia

needmorestrength is offline Anabolic Member
    I think we all have it boyz.. It's a reasonable fear.. We work and eat soo hard and sometimes its soo hard to gain size, but so easy to lose.. I feel really unhealthy when I don't workout.. I am starting to cut next month.. trying to get around 220.. I kno I am a nice size.. But my new goal is to be nice n hard! lift n eat eh boyz!

63190 is offline Anabolic Member
    I feel the same way. I wear loose fitting clothing and it conceals what lil' I have. None of my car club friends even knew I lifted or how big I had gotten until I wore a wife-beater once. Now they all swear I'm Arnold or a strongman. They are serious, but I KNOW how weak I actually am compared to people I see in the gym. I'm just big and strong compared to my car club people.

Carlos_E is offline National Level Bodybuilder/Hall of Famer/RETIRED
    I think pretty much anyone who cycles has size issues. Just get bigger and you have nothing to worry about.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos_E
    I think pretty much anyone who cycles has size issues. Just get bigger and you have nothing to worry about.
    ahh well that's jsut the thing. Is this where becoming addicted to cycling occurs. I think I have the will to resist it, stating I will have three cycles max...but will I? (scary music to be played here).

Furthermore, I would imagine Arnie, Ronnie Coleman etc have this issue. What I cannot imagine is how Arnie must have felt when he quit competing, and gyming so hard. The shrinking must have been mindnumbingly negative on the psyche.

I think that's why he was such a succcess business wise, and acting etc. He had so much drive, and he had to totally focus his thoughts to other poitive things, otherwise he would break down and cry like a little girl, curl up in the corner, and never go out in public again.

needmorestrength is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 63190
    I feel the same way. I wear loose fitting clothing and it conceals what lil' I have. None of my car club friends even knew I lifted or how big I had gotten until I wore a wife-beater once. Now they all swear I'm Arnold or a strongman. They are serious, but I KNOW how weak I actually am compared to people I see in the gym. I'm just big and strong compared to my car club people.
    I agree man that's exactly what happened.. I like my fleece shirts.. Like to be comfortable etc

mfenske is offline Member
    If you ever get down about feeling small look at old pictures of yourself. I was looking at some of the pics from our honeymoon (April '02) and I weighed like 224 ish (101.5 kg @ 1.95m) and I was fatter. Now I'm about 239 (108.4 kg and still 195 cm) and leaner. Not to mention thicker through the chest, lats, traps, and legs. I can't wait to see where I am two years from now. Mark

AandF6969 is offline Made Up Of Wires
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlos_E
    Theres the solution!

Its called the Adonis complex... I think every bodybuilder is affected by it in some way. You could go to a shrink and he could brainwash you into being happy and thinking its okay... or you could FIX THE PROBLEM and get bigger... and bigger....

decadbal is offline Banned
    no matter how big i get, ill always wanna be bigger, and have better everything..

Carlos_E is offline National Level Bodybuilder/Hall of Famer/RETIRED
    Quote Originally Posted by AandF6969
    you could FIX THE PROBLEM and get bigger... and bigger....
    Exactly!

radar1234 is offline Member
    muscle dysmorphia is the condition.it's when you look in the mirror and always see yourself as not being big enough.

sometimes when i miss a couple workouts i actually think i have lost like 5 pounds of muscle.sheeeeesh!!!

"my minds play'in tricks on me."

D-END is offline Anabolic Member
    I believe the condtion is called muscle dysmorphia.

Sometimes called bigorexia, muscle dysmorphia is the opposite of anorexia nervosa. People with this disorder obsess about being small and undeveloped. They worry that they are too little and too frail. Even if they have good muscle mass, they believe their muscles are inadequate.

In efforts to fix their perceived smallness, people with muscle dysmorphia lift weights, do resistance training, and exercise compulsively. They may take steroids or other muscle-building drugs, a practice with potentially lethal consequences.

Now that doesn't sound like anyone around here...or does it, j/k but I'm really not.

D-END is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by radar1234
    muscle dysmorphia is the condition.it's when you look in the mirror and always see yourself as not being big enough.
    **** he beat me to it.

Quote Originally Posted by D-END
    **** he beat me to it.
    gotta a be quick!

Thread Information