OneMoreSet is offline Associate Member

Starting A GYM!! need some advice

hey guys I am looking into opening a gym and was curious if you guys could gimmie some ideas of what a good gym name would be. also if there are any gym owners on here could you please pm me, I have some buisness oriented questions.

thanks
    OMS

Ben Lifton is offline Associate Member
    ...open a gym!!! Why would you do something like that to yourself. Picking a good name is the least of your worries... PM me with any questions Bro.

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    SwolesRUs!!

~SC~

decadbal is offline Banned
    the name doenst mean crap, make sure u have 200lb dumbells and tbar row... i hate gyms that dont

craneboy is offline Senior Member
    PILEDRIVERS gym

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Yeah, and let all the fine ladies in free.

~SC~

Psychotron is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Decadbal
    the name doenst mean crap, make sure u have 200lb dumbells and tbar row... i hate gyms that dont
    I true T-bar for that matter, not that lame lay against the pad.

OneMoreSet is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Decadbal

DONE

Maraxus is offline Banned
    The Dungeon....

hung-solo is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Maraxus
    The Dungeon....
    i like that one! simple and catchy!

Mart651 is offline The Redneck Queen of the Lounge
    Here is my best advice. What ever money you have decided you need to open the gym and operate. DOUBLE that and you should be fine. Got a good buddy that owns three and took none of my advice. By next month he should be down to 1. He had six.

A gym is woese than a restraraunt for failing if you ask me. Good luck, I hope you the best.

needmorestrength is offline Anabolic Member
    Man have some live strippers!!! u'd be the most popular gym ever.. but you can only enter the strip room once you have puked from working out so hard lol

partyboynyc is offline Anabolic Member

best of luck

Quote Originally Posted by Mart651
    Here is my best advice. What ever money you have decided you need to open the gym and operate. DOUBLE that and you should be fine. Got a good buddy that owns three and took none of my advice. By next month he should be down to 1. He had six.

A gym is woese than a restraraunt for failing if you ask me. Good luck, I hope you the best.
    it is IMO on of the hardest if not the hardest thing i have ever done in my life and no matter hwo prepared you are nothign ever works out as planned completely. best advice is to be proactive at all times. you can't wait for a problem to arise to try and fix it. every problem costs you $$ in some capacity. location is #1 and define precisely who your target market is and get at them through every marketing tactic know to man. **** advertising as that is $$ that will never pay itself back IMO. you don't just get a lease throw some **** in there, open the door, and hope for the best. the $$$ is huge for start up especially if your space needs to be demo'd and rebuilt. the licenses and insurance alone are a kick in the balls. there are so many things to think about. have a good legal team around you.

Mart651 is offline The Redneck Queen of the Lounge
    Quote Originally Posted by partyboynyc
    it is IMO on of the hardest if not the hardest thing i have ever done in my life and no matter hwo prepared you are nothign ever works out as planned completely. best advice is to be proactive at all times. you can't wait for a problem to arise to try and fix it. every problem costs you $$ in some capacity. location is #1 and define precisely who your target market is and get at them through every marketing tactic know to man. **** advertising as that is $$ that will never pay itself back IMO. you don't just get a lease throw some **** in there, open the door, and hope for the best. the $$$ is huge for start up especially if your space needs to be demo'd and rebuilt. the licenses and insurance alone are a kick in the balls. there are so many things to think about. have a good legal team around you.

Ups and downs like a mother ****er to huh?

Elysium is offline Productive Member
    "Bigger than you" thats a good name

partyboynyc is offline Anabolic Member

honestly

Quote Originally Posted by Mart651
    Ups and downs like a mother ****er to huh?
    it sounds great when someone says, "hey what do you do?" and you can respond.."well i own a gym..." ownershio doesn't always mean you are in the black!!my own program design and personal training company is much more successful to be honest because it's all on me, no partner to **** things up, and overhead is minimal. i am actually looking into opening a PT only studio by 2006-7 now, which is scary because THAT is ALL location and income level in your target market is #1. gotta be booked like crazy to make top $$$. the guy i trained to win the body for life contest opened one with the $$ he won and is doing very well because he put it in an area that is a high concentration of rich jews. not to be offensive in saying that, but in this part of NJ in this area..that's where the excessable income is and is spent. market to $$ if you want any

t-money is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by partyboynyc
    Amen. I am the GM of a gym and we are successful...there are no other gyms around for 30 miles. It is NEVER easy as it seems. Start up cost is a mutha and operating costs are a bitch too. There are better ways to invest your $$$.

T

Thread Information