Thread: LSAT info

.45Caliber is offline Associate Member

LSAT info

Anyone take the LSAT? any good links/tips/info you can shoot my way? I'm looking to prepare early.
    Thanks

EastCoaster is offline Banned
    Yes, I'm in law school.

Kaplan offers a great program and they gurantee to raise your score or your money back. I didnt take the class but I did buy their book at my local book store. It goes into detail about the test, what to expect, and how to disect the questions. I believe it had 3 full practice tests.

Good Luck brother... its a tricky test.

TheChosenOne is offline Anabolic Member
    Talk to that Ivy League nerd BigGreen. He was that Harvard dork on the apprentice after all!

TheChosenOne is offline Anabolic Member
    I see you BG now go accept my trade!!

BigGreen is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheChosenOne
    I see you BG now go accept my trade!!
    I'll get back to you on it tomorrow. I have to research into Randy's hamstring issues first.

Quote Originally Posted by .45Caliber
    Anyone take the LSAT? any good links/tips/info you can shoot my way? I'm looking to prepare early.
    Thanks
    Either post more specific questions or PM me with specifics. I tutor the LSAT for a company whose name I'd rather not mention, as they list all of their tutors' names on their website. I can't say for sure what my classroom average rise from first diagnostic to actual score might be, but i average a 7.8 point improvement on my one-on-one sessions. Obviously, I can't give you for free what I'd normally charge fifty to sixty per hour for, but I will gladly, in the name of AR brotherhood, answer any questions you have and even detail the 'plan of attack' that I use with my one-on-one clients.

sin
    sin is offline Senior Member
    Last edited by sin; 01-21-2007 at 06:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sin
    i just took the test on october 2 and i used powerscores stuff (books, timer, etc) and it was fine. or if your a cheap ass try professor daves lsat advantage. from what i heard the in class stuff (kaplan etc) is good in that they give you a lot of practice under timed conditions.
    Were you involved in the score debacle this evening? LSAC posted an estimated 15-20% of scores tonight and had them up for about an hour, and then they were taken down. This has been verified as real and not a hoax. Though, you should get your score Monday regardless...but it was an interesting quirk and another reason I hate LSAC with a passion. Where are you all applying? It'd be great to end up with some AR members at LS.

sin
    Quote Originally Posted by BigGreen
    Were you involved in the score debacle this evening? LSAC posted an estimated 15-20% of scores tonight and had them up for about an hour, and then they were taken down. This has been verified as real and not a hoax. Though, you should get your score Monday regardless...but it was an interesting quirk and another reason I hate LSAC with a passion. Where are you all applying? It'd be great to end up with some AR members at LS.
    Last edited by sin; 01-21-2007 at 06:36 PM.

and maybe one in w. virginia. your east coast arent you bg?

only one law school in west virginia.... thats wvu. Good school, you'll have a LOT of fun.

i havent actually checked for my scores yet. my lor were sent in about 3 weeks ago and i have yet to hear about those, so we will see what happens. i am applying mainly on the west coast to good ip schools. berkeley, stanford, santa clara, davis, hastings, and maybe one in w. virginia. your east coast arent you bg?
    I'm applying to stanford, and it's my first choice, so we have one cross up on our list....if we both end up there, we'll have to tear up the gym together. I'd thought about berkeley, but they're very much in decline for what it is I hope to do (critical legal theory and legal scholarship). I'm also throwing my hat in the ring at yale, harvard, michigan, columbia, chicago, duke, penn and BU. I got into harvard last application cycle, but then between my girlfriend's and my brother's very serious and 'hitting-home" issues, I knew there was no way I could undertake the rigor of that 1L experience, so I asked for a deferment and it was refused, somewhat understandably, as they're usually reserved for academic undertakings or VERY easily documented family issues. "My girlfriend needs me" doesn't carry the same weight as "fiance'" or "wife". In some ways I can't blame them, but in other ways, I'm somewhat irked by the fact that they dismissed it so quickly and, even if readmitted, I'll take stanford, yale, columbia and even chicago over them as a result.

Keep me posted...i'd love to hear how your chips fall in this regard.

AnabolicAlien Guest

hehe...

lol.. i've probably gotten half of all albany law students on steroids . even a couple of the women.

a.a.

sin
    I'm applying to stanford, and it's my first choice, so we have one cross up on our list....if we both end up there, we'll have to tear up the gym together. I'd thought about berkeley, but they're very much in decline for what it is I hope to do (critical legal theory and legal scholarship). I'm also throwing my hat in the ring at yale, harvard, michigan, columbia, chicago, duke, penn and BU. I got into harvard last application cycle, but then between my girlfriend's and my brother's very serious and 'hitting-home" issues, I knew there was no way I could undertake the rigor of that 1L experience, so I asked for a deferment and it was refused, somewhat understandably, as they're usually reserved for academic undertakings or VERY easily documented family issues. "My girlfriend needs me" doesn't carry the same weight as "fiance'" or "wife". In some ways I can't blame them, but in other ways, I'm somewhat irked by the fact that they dismissed it so quickly and, even if readmitted, I'll take stanford, yale, columbia and even chicago over them as a result.

Keep me posted...i'd love to hear how your chips fall in this regard.
    dfghjghj
    Last edited by sin; 01-21-2007 at 06:37 PM.

Mr. Death is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by .45Caliber
    Thanks
    If you are just looking for practice, the Law School Admissions Council publishes a book that has 10 official prep tests in it. They are exactly like the real test (except with different questions of course). The book doesn't have any studying methods or guides though. It is just tests. They will definitely help you get accustomed to the format and timing though.

worldtraveln is offline Associate Member
    removed
    Last edited by worldtraveln; 04-27-2006 at 05:36 PM.

Jdawg50 is offline Anabolic Member
    Advice:
    Don't take it, and don't be a lawyer
    good luck

that would be very cool to have an ar bro at law school. sorry to hear about your problems with harvard, but did you expect anything less?

how did you set up your personal statement bg? i have been working on mine for weeks, and its still driving me nuts. its not an easy task for a person with a background in science to write like this. i want just the facts, and they want dickens.
    My personal statement, while not a sob story, per se, is about a significantly ****ty experience I had as an adolescent and how it influenced my interest in legal philosophy. I'm hoping that it not only serves as a legit 'why law school' piece, but that it also demonstrates my ability to persevere through tough times (graduating third in my class despite my father being in prison and my mother being declared unfit to care for me and my siblings).

I've heard that if you are a science type, it's best to play that up in the PS, as they get FAR more philosophy, english and poli sci majors than 'hard' sciences, and it's a sellign point for you. You should also, while I'm thinking of it, look into franklin pierce...they're constantly ranked in the top four or five for IP law.

Also, if you want to swap PS's for critiquing, I'd be happy to do that for some more feedback.

sin
    fghjgfhj
    Last edited by sin; 01-21-2007 at 06:37 PM.

ive kinda gone the feel sorry for me route on mine. but if i can play the card, **** it, everyone else does. i was going for brief on my statement and thought i would talk about my strange route for getting into college, and let my transcript speak for itself. my grades were excellent in a major littered with pre-med students, and my masters consisted of mostly med school classes, so they know i can survive in a difficult setting. however, im still not sure this is the best way. i would be happy to exchange with you, but i think that the advantage would be far in my favor as you have excellent writing skills, and mine simply allow me to squeek by. i would, however, like to read your style etc, and would enjoy some criticism on mine. ill shoot you a pm when i have mine edited a bit more, probably in the next day or so.
    Not a problem. I have two to send along...one that is going to every other school, and one that is going to H-higgity, as they prefer you not to use the same PS when reapplying. Believe it or not, my new H essay is about deadlifting.

OSTIE is offline Senior Member
    that would be very cool to have an ar bro at law school. sorry to hear about your problems with harvard, but did you expect anything less?

how did you set up your personal statement bg? i have been working on mine for weeks, and its still driving me nuts. its not an easy task for a person with a background in science to write like this. i want just the facts, and they want dickens.
    You mentioned you have a background in science, what degree? Lately, ive strongly considered going to law school after receiveing my BA in engineering. Im not sure exactly what the field title is, but I am iterested in the part of the law that deals with copyrights and such, because in the computer engineering world where everything changes by the hour, copyrights are everything.
    Last edited by OSTIE; 10-25-2004 at 10:19 PM.

rambo is offline The Lord God

Anti Prole-ite

Not a problem. I have two to send along...one that is going to every other school, and one that is going to H-higgity, as they prefer you not to use the same PS when reapplying. Believe it or not, my new H essay is about deadlifting.
    I wanna read it.

Also, I'm in love with you.

sin
    Quote Originally Posted by OSTIE
    You mentioned you have a background in science, what degree? Lately, ive strongly considered going to law school after receiveing my BA in engineering. Im not sure exactly what the field title is, but I am iterested in the part of the law that deals with copyrights and such, because in the computer engineering world where everything changes by the hour, copyrights are everything.
    juigjkil
    Last edited by sin; 01-21-2007 at 06:38 PM.

that would be very cool to have an ar bro at law school. .

We do... (me)... and I'm willing to bet i'm probably not the only one.

Quote Originally Posted by EastCoaster
    We do... (me)... and I'm willing to bet i'm probably not the only one.
    I think he meant at the *same* law school, since our choices intersect at one school. I know of at least four (counting you) law students on this board, but I'm not sure they want their identities revealed as law students, so I'll keep my lips zipped.

And, without revealing too much info, where are you? Any possibility we might end up at the same school?

Quote Originally Posted by rambo
    I wanna read it.

Also, I'm in love with you.
    The feeling is, as always, mutual and ripe with passion.

sin
    pm me with your stuff bg. i would be happy to read them and give insight if possible. maybe reading your stuff will help with my bit o' writers block.

Thread Information