Elysium is offline Productive Member

Highest concentration of protein?

Hey guys

You may or may not know im attempting to shed some lbs at the mo! Its going good, ive lost 12lbs so far...

My problem is this, i dont have alot of money, my diet isnt too good. What i eat is usually ****.

What i wanna know is what food has the highest concentration of protein per lb? I know the usual, eggs, beef etc.

Is there a drink, or a certain food i can eat or drink that will load me up with protein? Also without hurting the weight loss too much.

Thanks in advance

I simply dont have the money to keep buyin eggs, cookin them etc, and all that stuff.

What i really wanna know is there a drink i can load up on, that will suppliment my protein needs without hindering my weight loss.

i heard pumpkin seeds have a high concentration, a small cup can contain 70 grams?! this correct just found a site.

Any input would be great guys

Canned tuna bro....

It's vile but weight VS price VS protein it simply cannot be beat.

A 170g can of tuna has 38g of protein and costs around $1-2 depending on brand and quality (I am sure you can get it cheaper by the pallet in a big store like Asda).

Red

Quote Originally Posted by Red Ketchup
    Canned tuna bro....

It's vile but weight VS price VS protein it simply cannot be beat.

A 170g can of tuna has 38g of protein and costs around $1-2 depending on brand and quality (I am sure you can get it cheaper by the pallet in a big store like Asda).

Red
    Yea i read that its got tons of protein in it. Im 232lbs at the mo so i need a fair bit of protein.

Ideas on Drinks?

Thats alot bro for ure help, u always give good replys

hmmm for drinks the cheapest I've found is good old protein powder shakes bought in bulk... homemade drinks come out quite expensive...

My homemade protein shakes contain:

125mg egg whites (12.5g)
    100mg firm cottage cheese (18.5g)
    32mg prolab raspberry whey powder (22g)
    1 teaspoon of sugar free raspberry jam
    200mg skim milk (more or less depending how thick you like your shake)

It's absolutely delicious, has a great consistency (like a real milkshake), and gives ya at least 53g of good protein (without counting the milk).

But thats doesn't come cheap... the cottage cheese and the eggwhites are quite costly.

Red

yea see what u mean. i looked at whey protein and that kind of stuff, all the powders and that, but they all have stuff in them that will end up effecting my weight.

Think im gonna go with tuna. Im trying to find some cheap recipes

Well, a way to make tuna palatable is to simply drink it... (ok so I absolutely HATE tuna)

I put a can in the blender along with 1/2 litre of water... blend to a pulp and drink it... QUICKLY.

Some people also do the same thing with tomato juice or V8 veggy cocktail.

Red

Well, a way to make tuna palatable is to simply drink it... (ok so I absolutely HATE tuna)

I put a can in the blender along with 1/2 litre of water... blend to a pulp and drink it... QUICKLY.

Red
    my god that sounds disgusting. i will try it... Hmmm... dont know how it will go down lol

mitch428cj is offline Member
    Here i just get canned roast beef sometimes it is like 9oz. has 45 grams of protein and cost $1.50 same as canned chicken but i wont need any for awhile since i got boneless skinless chicken breast for 1.79/lb i bought quite a few pounds lol just throw them on the grill

mitch428cj is offline Member
    both the chicken and the roast beef taste better than tuna just to let you know lol

Quote Originally Posted by mitch428cj
    both the chicken and the roast beef taste better than tuna just to let you know lol
    Yea.. I guessed

MASStermind is offline Banned
    hmmm for drinks the cheapest I've found is good old protein powder shakes bought in bulk... homemade drinks come out quite expensive...

My homemade protein shakes contain:

125mg egg whites (12.5g)
    100mg firm cottage cheese (18.5g)
    32mg prolab raspberry whey powder (22g)
    1 teaspoon of sugar free raspberry jam
    200mg skim milk (more or less depending how thick you like your shake)

It's absolutely delicious, has a great consistency (like a real milkshake), and gives ya at least 53g of good protein (without counting the milk).

But thats doesn't come cheap... the cottage cheese and the eggwhites are quite costly.

Red

do you cook the egg whites before you blend them? I hear you can get salmonella otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by MASStermind
    do you cook the egg whites before you blend them? I hear you can get salmonella otherwise.
    Nope, but I ONLY use pasteurized eggwhites... they sell em in 250 and 500ml cartons here. Never use raw unpasteurized eggs for that, it's asking for trouble.

Red

tubbytank is offline Associate Member
    why don;t you get the egg albumen that they sell in powder form. Heaps heaps heaps cheaper than buying cartons of eggs.

thick one is offline Associate Member

Red
    i've done this about a million x's!! it's the worst 10 seconds of my day..., but it sure beats eating 3-5 cans tuna a day. the trick is to hold your nose as your downing the drink then immediately sip on something with some taste..

physio_sport is offline Banned
    www.nutrisport.co.uk
    http://www.vydex.co.uk/human/sportsprod.htm
    http://www.theministryoffitness.com/mof/product.htm

and there also www.aviform.co.uk they have 20kg of whey protien concentrate wpc80 for £130 whith free delivery. but this website is not working right now for some reason.

Commando_Barbi is offline AR's Arresting Angel Vet
    Are you worried about the Carb content in the protein powder? If so..you could try Nectar by Syntrax. ASN sells it for a good price...and there's NO carbs and it comes in fruit flavors as opposed to the standard vanilla, etc. I have the lemonade and fuzzy naval and it's yummy.
    Last edited by Commando_Barbi; 10-25-2004 at 01:25 PM.
    1. Once a cheat always a cheat!
    2. YES, SHE can get pregnant the first time!
    3. NO, PULLING out IS NOT a RELIABLE method of Birth Control. DAMMMMIT..... Wrap that shyte UP!!

Women over 30 are dignified. They seldom have a screaming match with you at the opera or in the middle of an expensive restaurant. Of course, if you deserve it, they won't hesitate to shoot you, if they think they can get away with it.

For all those men who say, "Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free". Here's an update for you. Nowadays 80% of women are against marriage, why? Because women realize it's not worth buying an entire Pig, just to get a little sausage.

What the mind can conceive....the body will achieve!

Quote Originally Posted by Commando_Barbi
    Are you worried about the Carb content in the protein powder? If so..you could try Nectar by Syntrax. ASN sells it for a good price...and there's NO carbs and it comes in fruit flavors as opposed to the standard vanilla, etc. I have the lemonade and fuzzy naval and it's yummy.
    Yup, its the carbs i need to be careful of, there is tons of products out there that will provide protein but with alot of carbs along with it.

Thanks CB i will check it out

Just had a look around, having trouble finding someone in the UK that stocks Syntrax products... know any sites?

GREENMACHINE is offline Are you green enough?
    Go with the tuna its cheap as chips. Hold your nose and it won't taste as bad.

The Baron is offline Fourth Koala of the Apocalypse
    I LOVE fresh tuna, especially raw. I HATE canned tuna. The best way I have found to make it palatable is to make tuna melts. Split a couple of english muffins, cover with tuna, throw a slice of generic yellow cheese on top, along with a jalapeno slice and a pickle slice, and throw in the oven for a bit, to crisp up the muffin and melt/toast the cheese. Not too bad. Experiment with different recipes for tuna salad. Extra onions and pickles seems to help. Try ranch dressing instead of mayo. Try eating with those flavored ramen noodles you get 7 for $1 at the grocery.

I would not make tuna the focal point of a high protein diet. The mercury, you know. I would not eat tuna every day for any length of time.

Go fishing. Fish is free, if you catch your own bait. You don't need a boat. You don't need expensive gear. A string, a hook, and a weight or float and you are set. Trap squirrels if you can't hunt them. Or rabbits. Clams or oysters if you are on the coast. Ditto shrimp or lobsters or crabs, with a bit more equipment.

Watch for the 10 lb bags of frozen chicken parts. Sometimes these go for like 39 cents a pound. Thaw in the refrigerator, not at room temp, and just enough to be able to break them apart into manageable amounts, like maybe two or three quarters in a package, then re-freeze. Don't let them thaw out any more than you have to, or you have an elevated risk of getting salmonella or something. Chicken can be really really cheap, bought in bulk like that. If you pull the skin off, you have a pretty healthy protein source. Make soup with the bones and scraps. Chicken broth is good stuff. Turkey is cheap if you watch for sales. Cut that sucker into quarters and freeze. Thaw one out and cook it however you want. Deep-fry, soup/stew, barbecue, roast/broil, whatever blows your skirt up. Be sure it cooks all the way through.

Watch for cheap canned meats on sale. Canned chicken or beef can be cheap if you watch closely for sales, or look for the bargain basket with the dented cans or torn labels.

Of course, there is always cannibalism...

Quote Originally Posted by The Baron
    I LOVE fresh tuna, especially raw. I HATE canned tuna. The best way I have found to make it palatable is to make tuna melts. Split a couple of english muffins, cover with tuna, throw a slice of generic yellow cheese on top, along with a jalapeno slice and a pickle slice, and throw in the oven for a bit, to crisp up the muffin and melt/toast the cheese. Not too bad. Experiment with different recipes for tuna salad. Extra onions and pickles seems to help. Try ranch dressing instead of mayo. Try eating with those flavored ramen noodles you get 7 for $1 at the grocery.

I would not make tuna the focal point of a high protein diet. The mercury, you know. I would not eat tuna every day for any length of time.

Go fishing. Fish is free, if you catch your own bait. You don't need a boat. You don't need expensive gear. A string, a hook, and a weight or float and you are set. Trap squirrels if you can't hunt them. Or rabbits. Clams or oysters if you are on the coast. Ditto shrimp or lobsters or crabs, with a bit more equipment.

Watch for the 10 lb bags of frozen chicken parts. Sometimes these go for like 39 cents a pound. Thaw in the refrigerator, not at room temp, and just enough to be able to break them apart into manageable amounts, like maybe two or three quarters in a package, then re-freeze. Don't let them thaw out any more than you have to, or you have an elevated risk of getting salmonella or something. Chicken can be really really cheap, bought in bulk like that. If you pull the skin off, you have a pretty healthy protein source. Make soup with the bones and scraps. Chicken broth is good stuff. Turkey is cheap if you watch for sales. Cut that sucker into quarters and freeze. Thaw one out and cook it however you want. Deep-fry, soup/stew, barbecue, roast/broil, whatever blows your skirt up. Be sure it cooks all the way through.

Watch for cheap canned meats on sale. Canned chicken or beef can be cheap if you watch closely for sales, or look for the bargain basket with the dented cans or torn labels.

Excellent post! Thanks for the info
    Last edited by Elysium; 10-26-2004 at 05:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Baron

Excellent post! Thanks

Thread Information