symatech is offline Retired Moderator

You should all use firefox <====

It is a web browser and is so much faster than netscape or IE. It is completely free and a small download. check it out

http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/

cb25 is offline Banned
    I concur

I actually just switched to this a few weeks ago...and i'm very happy

BigMike J is offline Anabolic Member
    Just downloaded it.. i like it already.

tinytool is offline Junior Member
    just downloaded it and very impressed how fast it loads pages

cb25 is offline Banned
    to add...i like some of the modifications you can add to it...i have the upgraded download manager. and the music player toolbar. Very cool stuff, if ya ask me.

chicamahomico is offline Respected Member
    Have been using it for awhile now, no doubt it is the best browser around especially if your surfing primarily involves reading tons of text ( AR, school, etc). Also the download manager is a nice feature.

clockworks is offline Anabolic Member
    Yeah, its functionality is also extendable via downloadable "extensions". There is a pretty good extension that allows for more powerful tabbed browsing.

Firefox is made by Mozilla, which I think has its roots in Linux. As always, open source software, particularly ones that started in Linux, turn out to be the best...=)

Yes, I am biased.

Is it better than my darling Opera?

I haven't tried it yet... I used to use different flavors of Mozilla but they weren't for me.

Red

Quote Originally Posted by Red Ketchup
    Is it better than my darling Opera?

I haven't tried it yet... I used to use different flavors of Mozilla but they weren't for me.

Red
    I might be wrong, but I think its their "next gen" rendering engine / web browser...its not based on Mozilla (the web browser / rendering engine).

Since I use Linux/KDE, I use KDE's Konqueror. It uses the KHTML rendering engine (which is a part of KDE)...which Apple uses for Safari. I can't believe Apple repackages open source software and resells it for ridiculously high prices.

Elysium is offline Productive Member
    I installed it, then uninstalled it. It was good, loaded fast, i found that it had problems on a few sites with layouts. Im gonna stick with IE, main reason why is that i design sites and as the majority uses IE it's better for me.

Quote Originally Posted by MESSY_UK
    Im gonna stick with IE, main reason why is that i design sites and as the majority uses IE it's better for me.
    Thats called MS f*cking people. HTML is a world standard. It is not based on a corperation or business. Now what MS does is make extensions to the HTML language. They make their web authoring tools profusely use those extensions. And gee, what do you know, only IE can handle those stupid extensions.

MS f-ing blows.

Quote Originally Posted by clockworks
    Thats called MS f*cking people. HTML is a world standard. It is not based on a corperation or business. Now what MS does is make extensions to the HTML language. They make their web authoring tools profusely use those extensions. And gee, what do you know, only IE can handle those stupid extensions.

MS f-ing blows.
    I work for "MS"

To be honest i would disagree with your comment that they "blow" i think that Microsoft is an excellent company, who knows exactly what they are doing. Where you commented adds extensions in their programs that other browser wont work with... what exactly are these extensions? What exactly are these programs? I personally use Frontpage, Dreamweaver and Photoshop to make sites, i have yet to have a single client complain that their website is incompatible with their browser.

Messy, I concede that I'm not 100% sure of these claims since I'm not a web developer. I am a software developer however and I am aware of these types of things. My information mainly comes from heresay in the workplace or articles I read on the internet. That being said, here's my response.

Frontpage will do it. Probably Dreamweaver also since its mainstream enough to only care about MS browsers.

By extensions, I mean they add extra tags to the HTML language that aren't included in the "standard". Its basically what they tried to do with Java a while back.

I don't like MS in the sense that I disagree with business practices and them not adhereing to standards. That agrument can be made against lots of big software companies though. As for working for MS, I hear its awesome...hats off to your good job, bro...=)

If you have a lot of spare time on your hands, check out this site:
    http://www.euronet.nl/users/frankvw/...t/IhateMS.html

It pretty much says everything I want to say, but much better than I can.

P.S. I *do* like the .NET concept, I think its a good idea...I just hope projects like mono can make it available to platforms other than Windows.

Very true that Frontpage adds a bunch of crap, this can be removed easily enough. If we like it or not MS is pretty much the industry standard.

In terms of their business practices, well, if they were a company a fifth their size i doubt half the people out there would be complaining. What im saying is that people dont like it when someone like MS is in control, and they are... if MS wanted to it wouldnt be hard for them to disable half of the MS OS internet connected computers in the world - this is far fetched but it puts it in perspective. They are powerful. They have a brilliant marketing and this simply shows in their success, they have tapped a market.

Oh and by the way there is a new Beta of Longhorn that is currently circulating if you are interested

We have it at work... its well, gonna be awesome when its finished!

Oh and .Net, yup great language, a friend of mine is a software programmer and his company started using it a few months ago.

Blown_SC is offline Retired Vet
    It is fast, but I don't think there is a flash plugin for it....
    Very impressed with it overall though...

there's a flash plugin, i got it

Quote Originally Posted by symatech
    there's a flash plugin, i got it
    Where bitch... WHERE!!!!!

when i logged on to ar, the ar-research flash thingy wouldnt load, so I clicked on it and it downloaded it for me.

Psychotron is offline Anabolic Member
    been using it since it was called, uhhh **** i cant even remember its original name? wasnt it just called mozilla?

raptor or some trash all i remember is the old icon was a dinosaur type thing

Quote Originally Posted by symatech
    when i logged on to ar, the ar-research flash thingy wouldnt load, so I clicked on it and it downloaded it for me.
    mine wouldn't find anything, says there is no plugin available...

Thread Information