Thread: Movie server

Will Power is offline Banned

Movie server

Here's the plan.
    I have a server running MS server 2000, 400gb drive space
    I want to start a movie library. Want to copy DVDs to the server, and then be able to play the movie from the server hard drive, on to my LCD projector.

Question.
    Is there a good freeware application to copy DVDs to the Hard drive,
    And can I copy the DVD without all the extras, such as Languages, bonus features, subtitles and so on. I just want the movie and surround sound.
    Thanks in advance.

KeyMastur is offline VET
    DVD Shrink allows you to cut out all the extras / menu's / even shrink the size to fit on a 4.7 GB dvd-r.

Elysium is offline Productive Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Will Power
    Here's the plan.
    I have a server running MS server 2000, 400gb drive space
    I want to start a movie library. Want to copy DVDs to the server, and then be able to play the movie from the server hard drive, on to my LCD projector.

Question.
    Is there a good freeware application to copy DVDs to the Hard drive,
    And can I copy the DVD without all the extras, such as Languages, bonus features, subtitles and so on. I just want the movie and surround sound.
    Thanks in advance.
    Im curious to know your setup. Is there a reason why you have server installed, is it used within a network? Are you intending for the network to have access to the dvds?

singern is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MESSY_UK
    Im curious to know your setup. Is there a reason why you have server installed, is it used within a network? Are you intending for the network to have access to the dvds?
    I have an existing network at home. My server is a file and print shareing device.
    My home theatre consists of LCD projector, DVD player and soround sound system. I wish to be able to call up any movie off the server and play it, Playing off my network to one of the other PCs in the house would be cool also.

Elysium is offline Productive Member
    Quote Originally Posted by singern
    I have an existing network at home. My server is a file and print shareing device.
    My home theatre consists of LCD projector, DVD player and soround sound system. I wish to be able to call up any movie off the server and play it, Playing off my network to one of the other PCs in the house would be cool also.

Ahh i see. I have a slightly different setup but on the same lines.

My whole network is wireless, i have a PC upstairs which hosts all my music and movies. I bought a device from D-Link which plugs into your TV, the box looks similar to a dvd player or soemthing. Basically the devices logs onto the network and accesses pre selected folders on the PC upstairs. So, with my remote i can select on screen, on my tv downstairs what movies/media i want to view

arthurb999 is offline Anabolic Member
    DVD Decryptor.

Will Power is offline Banned
    Thanks folks.
    I used DVD Shrink this weekend and its exactly what I needed.

Thread Information