big_mike is offline Member

Need help with college biology!!! someone please help me answer this lol!

Ok guys and gals, here's the question. I need some help and i've been looking for hours...but there is no clear cut answer to me.

Some algae have complex glassy structures in their cell walls. These structures form within the Golgi apparatus. How do these structures reach the cell wall without having to pass through a membrane?

question 2 is...

In mammals, fish and insects, Rotenone blocks the transfer of electrons from NADH to the electron transport chain. Exactly how does this affect glycolosis and the TCA cycle? What happens to ATP production and electron transport? Be sure to couch your answers in terms of cellular regulation.

someone please help!

sin
    sin is offline Senior Member
    my best guess on question 1 is that it travels in a vesicle all the way through,and then fuses with the plasma membrane.
    2 is guess as well, because its been a long time. i think it would cause anerobic metabolism, and cause an increase in lactic acid fermentation.

BigMike J is offline Anabolic Member
    Is this question #1 from the chapter... 5.8 membrains are dynamic 92?

just wondering.

Quote Originally Posted by sin
    my best guess on question 1 is that it travels in a vesicle all the way through,and then fuses with the plasma membrane.
    2 is guess as well, because its been a long time. i think it would cause anerobic metabolism, and cause an increase in lactic acid fermentation.
    thanks for your reply.
    Im trying to finish this take home test, and these answers are definetely not clear cut in the text. One must analyze thoroughly!

Quote Originally Posted by BigMike J
    Is this question #1 from the chapter... 5.8 membrains are dynamic 92?

just wondering.
    I don't think so...this is a take home test...bio teacher made...she's f'in hard...

KeyMastur is offline VET
    6. Golgi Apparatus / Complex / Bodies
    • Found in dictyosomes
    • Found in both plants and animals
    • Series of flattened sacks
    - Composed of plasma membrane
    - Cisternae - partitions off cytoplasm
    • Secretary Vessicles - contain enzymes
    - Transport stuff around in cell

Quote Originally Posted by sin
    Also, i think you are correct, I used the term exocytosis however...i think the outermost membrane of a eukaryotik cell is called the cytoplasmic membrane however...

Quote Originally Posted by KeyMastur
    6. Golgi Apparatus / Complex / Bodies
    • Found in dictyosomes
    • Found in both plants and animals
    • Series of flattened sacks
    - Composed of plasma membrane
    - Cisternae - partitions off cytoplasm
    • Secretary Vessicles - contain enzymes
    - Transport stuff around in cell
    thanks key...but how does it go through the cytoplasmic membrane which is lined up along with the cell wall of the cell? Could it be exocytosis?

KeyMastur is offline VET
    hell if i know. i just searched through my notes that i had taken and posted that up there. left the rest for you to figure out.

btw, did you ask jeeves yet ??

Quote Originally Posted by KeyMastur
    hell if i know. i just searched through my notes that i had taken and posted that up there. left the rest for you to figure out.

btw, did you ask jeeves yet ??
    haha who is jeeves?
    lemme at him haha! i need this answer, ive been stuck forever.n/m im a dumbass...it's a search engine yes? i'll try
    Last edited by big_mike; 11-04-2004 at 09:30 PM.

BigGreen is offline Anabolic Member
    Hey witch doctors, take your "science" elsewhere. Your big words enfeeble and scare me. When someone takes my picture, I wonder, "are they stealing my soul??" How do they get those little men and women inside the glass box in my living room to perform so reliably, night in and night out, without me having to give them food or water? I don't know.

KeyMastur is offline VET

sin
    Quote Originally Posted by BigGreen
    Hey witch doctors, take your "science" elsewhere. Your big words enfeeble and scare me. When someone takes my picture, I wonder, "are they stealing my soul??" How do they get those little men and women inside the glass box in my living room to perform so reliably, night in and night out, without me having to give them food or water? I don't know.
    when anybody tries to take my picture i still use the old " it will steal my soul" bit.
    Last edited by sin; 01-21-2007 at 06:30 PM.

sin
    Quote Originally Posted by big_mike
    Also, i think you are correct, I used the term exocytosis however...i think the outermost membrane of a eukaryotik cell is called the cytoplasmic membrane however...

you dont necessarily have exocytosis from vesicles fusing with the pm. this is also the way that integral membrane proteins end up in the outer membrane.

Philliagorillia is offline Associate Member
    The inbound path, The movement of cisternal contents through the stack means that essential processing enzymes are also moving away from their proper site of action.

Using a variety of signals, the Golgi separates the products from the processing enzymes that made them and returns the enzymes back to the endoplasmic reticulum.

This transport is also done by pinching off vesicles, but the inbound vesicles are coated with COPI (coat protein I)

The outbound path,Transition vesicles pinch off from the surface of the endoplasmic reticulum carrying
    integral membrane proteins
    soluble proteins awaiting processing
    processing enzymes
    Pinching off requires that the vesicle be coated with COPII (Coat Protein II)
    The transition vesicles move toward the cis Golgi on microtubules.
    As they do so, their COPII coat is removed and they may fuse together forming larger vesicles.
    These fuse with the cis Golgi
    Sugars are added to proteins in small packets so many glycoproteins have to undergo a large number of sequential steps of glycosylation, each requiring its own enzymes.
    These steps take place as shuttle vesicles carry the proteins from cis to medial to the trans Golgi compartments.
    At the outer face of the trans Golgi, vesicles pinch off and carry their completed products to their various destinations.

Its been a few years sence i've had an actual bio class....

TheDfromGC is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Philliagorillia
    The inbound path, The movement of cisternal contents through the stack means that essential processing enzymes are also moving away from their proper site of action.

Using a variety of signals, the Golgi separates the products from the processing enzymes that made them and returns the enzymes back to the endoplasmic reticulum.

This transport is also done by pinching off vesicles, but the inbound vesicles are coated with COPI (coat protein I)

The outbound path,Transition vesicles pinch off from the surface of the endoplasmic reticulum carrying
    integral membrane proteins
    soluble proteins awaiting processing
    processing enzymes
    Pinching off requires that the vesicle be coated with COPII (Coat Protein II)
    The transition vesicles move toward the cis Golgi on microtubules.
    As they do so, their COPII coat is removed and they may fuse together forming larger vesicles.
    These fuse with the cis Golgi
    Sugars are added to proteins in small packets so many glycoproteins have to undergo a large number of sequential steps of glycosylation, each requiring its own enzymes.
    These steps take place as shuttle vesicles carry the proteins from cis to medial to the trans Golgi compartments.
    At the outer face of the trans Golgi, vesicles pinch off and carry their completed products to their various destinations.

Its been a few years sence i've had an actual bio class....
    what he said^^^

TheGame826 is offline Member
    simple answer, it needs a protein transport

GQSuperman is offline Banned

no

endoplasmic reticulum is the mode of transport from the golgi i believe.

as for #2 believe the elecrtron transport chain becomes uncoupled, therefor ATp production decreases.

Thread Information