irish bulldog is offline Senior Member

has anyone moved away from home family etc on there own?

im considering saving a bit of money for a year and moving country .the only thing that puts me off is arriving there by myself with no mates no jobs etc and saying to myself what have i just done,but the reason why i still want to do it cause if you get past that stage it could be the best decision of my life.
    has anyone done this and how was it?did you make real friends you could trust like back home?

Pale Horse is offline F.I.L.F.
    I moved 1000 miles from home when I was in my early 20s. I did have a job waiting but I knew no one. It was difficult and lonely at times. You learn alot about yourself and the world around you when you don't have all that support to count on.

BTW never made real friends just people to hang with . I found most people to be selfish and self centered.

ttuPrincess Guest
    i moved 500 miles away to go to college without knowing anyone here... it was the best thin i have ever done...
    transfered from the restaurant i worked at to the same place here and i made frineds with people I worked with it was very nerve racking at 1st, but eentually you just start again

rambo is offline The Lord God
    I moved 3,000 miles away to go to school, didn't know a soul, didn't have a place to live. It worked out OK, though.

ttu, not discounting but college is a little different I loved moving away to college not knowing anyone just my opinion. Doing it as an individual working class person is different . I fell off a roof and didn't know anyone (drove a stick shift car) broke all my toes on both feet and had to drive myself to the hospital etc.. nurse myself etc.. it was really, really lonely. I had no one to help me prepare meals , drive all the things I take for granted a crawled around on all fours for three weeks!

ttuPrincess Guest
    how is it so different? I didnt live in the dorms, I knew noone at all... and transfered to a crappy job to get by...

That's a different case. I made assumptions re: dorms etc.. I apologize

thanks for the replys ,would you need a lot of money with you first just incase you dont get a job etc,im not exactly a great money saver,i want to go to amsterdam or somewere like that so the lanugage thing would be hard also,really want to go to the us but its too hard to get into with a cr

Panzerfaust is offline Ron Paul Nuthugger
    Thinking about relocating to Dallas, TX

Used to live there when i was a kid

63190 is offline Anabolic Member
    Dude, get a job lined up where ever you wish to go before you head out there. Unless, you plan on living off a family fortune.

MASStermind is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ttuPrincess
    i moved 500 miles away to go to college without knowing anyone here... it was the best thin i have ever done...
    transfered from the restaurant i worked at to the same place here and i made frineds with people I worked with it was very nerve racking at 1st, but eentually you just start again

How is this even the lease bit relevant to the question asked? What you did is a normal part of life done by countless americans. What the person asking the question is wanting to do is by any means infinitely more difficult and absolutely a different situation.

D-END is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1victor
    BTW never made real friends just people to hang with . I found most people to be selfish and self centered.
    I moved from colorado to chicago and haven't found one genuine person out here and have been here for a while. But besides that I think everyone at some point should just up and leave where they have lived the majority of their life and experience something new. IMO you can't really now want you in life if you have done the same things, had the same friends, the same house, lived in the same town with the same job. If you don't like it who says you can't go back home, then at least you know what else is out there. Good luck bro

.45Caliber is offline Associate Member
    how is it so different? I didnt live in the dorms, I knew noone at all... and transfered to a crappy job to get by...

I cant stand when people move away to college then act like they did something so hard. Come on, most everyone moves away to college. Also, when you move away and go to school, you can get emotional SUPPORT from the university, if you have a problem. Go to the psych dept and ask, also its free!! Lastly, you know the university, and have a general description of the area. If you need something all you have to do is ask a university member!! Financially, they will not be there for you, but your covered for the area, things to do, where people hang out, where is safe, not safe, etc.....

The guy in question is thinking of moving to a town where he knows nothing. I mean nothing. College life and real life are 2 DIFFERENT worlds

I think it's different because when you go off to college you are going to be around other people similair to you in age and interests, this makes it easier because a lot of people go of to school and are in similar situations and want to hang out, party and make new friends. College is were people meet the majority of their friends so it is a lot easier than just moving to an apt in a city that you have never been to and trying to meet people and having little to no common gound with the next guy.

ttuPrincess Guest
    to those screaming at me.. WTF? I gave my own opinion... did you not see rambo say somethign about moving off to school also... what just cause im a female you single me out..

It was a big fuking experince for me.. so FUK OFF

to those screaming at me.. WTF? I gave my own opinion... did you not see rambo say somethign about moving off to school also... what just cause im a female you single me out..

whoa... I didn't think I was sreaming at you. I was just giving you an answer to your question.

Blown_SC is offline Retired Vet
    I moved 4.5 hours away from home to go to school... best decision I ever made...
    You grow up fast, become independant, and make true friends over time... you'll be fine brutha....

EDIT: Although I didn't move into another country, not seeing your family for months and months at a time is quite similar...
    Last edited by Blown_SC; 11-06-2004 at 03:29 PM.

ttuPrincess Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by D-END
    whoa... I didn't think I was sreaming at you. I was just giving you an answer to your question.
    you might not have been, but the 2 around your post were...

it doesnt matter what you move away for... its still all the same... your starting over...

you might not have been, but the 2 around your post were...

it doesnt matter what you move away for... its still all the same... your starting over...
    I agree, I'm not saying it's not hard. I am saying it is harder when you don't have college in the picture.

MASStermind is offline Banned

we are not downing your experience in college , but your lack of life experience for you to equate something so trivial to something so life changing and difficult. I have read a lot of your posts and kept quiet but most of them point to the same conclusion. What that conclusion is I will not reveal as I like to keep my opinions to myself, but your FUK OFF comment basically sums it up. I think your inability to see things past your own point of view hurts your position a lot on your arugments. Maybe after some more experience in life and gaining of maturity your views on subjects as will change and you will understand what people on this post are talking about.
    Last edited by MASStermind; 11-06-2004 at 03:44 PM.

ttuPrincess Guest
    thats ok masstermind.. aka my old pal.. wanna play again???
    Last edited by ttuPrincess; 11-06-2004 at 04:07 PM.

decadbal is offline Banned
    bck to the topic, only i am allowed to jack threads..lol moving away where you have no point of reference to anything, wouldbe hard, the college i went to was an hour from home, when i was in the army i moved to the other side of the county and the few ppl i knew were from RIP and airborne school. so i didnt know them more than 3 weeks tops. bottom line is there are two kinds of ppl in life and this subject, the kind who suck it up, go out and meet new ppl and the kind who sit back and whine about home. which are you. ppl are ppl, no matter what city or town your from or move to.

ttuPrincess Guest
    Oh **** deca .. you and i agree twice now.. hell is frozen over again!

decadbal is offline Banned
    well it did snow in texas as you stated before... perhaps you are a long lost sister... are you irish at all.... got that temper from somewhere..lol if our brotherhood were open to females id nominate you...sadly is male only.. cept for blown..

ttuPrincess Guest
    one day you will have to let females in.. and I will be the 1st.. lol

hey Irish bulldog... any news... you moving yet?

houseofpain is offline Banned
    i currently live away from home/family b/c i am at college playing the foozball. if you have nothing there i would not just up and move hella far. maybe transferring a job or something but to just go there and say well here i am, thats kind of risky.
    ~HOP

Benches505 is offline 75% HGH 25% Testosterone
    I was about to ask how you could even think of leaving Ireland with all those hot blondes lurking around and then realized you plan to move to amsterdam where there are even more hot blondes

.45Caliber is offline Associate Member

TTU, you misunderstood me. I wasnt "screaming" at you in particular. I said I cant stand when people move away to go to college...." I just quoted you to get involved in the thread.

Also, I KNEW you were going to turn this into a sexist argument, "because I'm a female.." M or F has nothing to do with it. Women usually always try to turn a discussion into a sexist argument. "I'm a female so......" Its so typical. As you younger guys get older, you'll agree.

Maybe I left myself open because I hit the quote button under your name insted of the reply. The point is the same.
    Last edited by .45Caliber; 11-06-2004 at 05:56 PM.

Commando_Barbi is offline AR's Arresting Angel Vet
    How is this even the lease bit relevant to the question asked? What you did is a normal part of life done by countless americans. What the person asking the question is wanting to do is by any means infinitely more difficult and absolutely a different situation.

He asked if anyone had left their home and comfort zone....and how did they feel. She provided an answer from her experience. Just because you wouldn't find it stressful....does not mean it wasn't to her or wouldn't be to anyone else.

Different maybe but no less traumatic for some. Any time you leave your comfort zone, wether it's college or just moving...there's a certain level of trauma and discomfort. So WHAT she was going to college. In some ways its worse. She's trying to work, study, go to school and make ends meet.

Don't think it's necessary to belittle her experience. She was simply stating that she understood the fear of leaving her comfort zone.

Quote Originally Posted by D-END
    I think it's different because when you go off to college you are going to be around other people similair to you in age and interests, this makes it easier because a lot of people go of to school and are in similar situations and want to hang out, party and make new friends. College is were people meet the majority of their friends so it is a lot easier than just moving to an apt in a city that you have never been to and trying to meet people and having little to no common gound with the next guy.
    1. Once a cheat always a cheat!
    2. YES, SHE can get pregnant the first time!
    3. NO, PULLING out IS NOT a RELIABLE method of Birth Control. DAMMMMIT..... Wrap that shyte UP!!

Women over 30 are dignified. They seldom have a screaming match with you at the opera or in the middle of an expensive restaurant. Of course, if you deserve it, they won't hesitate to shoot you, if they think they can get away with it.

For all those men who say, "Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free". Here's an update for you. Nowadays 80% of women are against marriage, why? Because women realize it's not worth buying an entire Pig, just to get a little sausage.

What the mind can conceive....the body will achieve!

Commando_Barbi is offline AR's Arresting Angel Vet
    Irish -

I've been moving from counrty to country for the last 19 years. Although I've had a major support structure around me while accomplishing this, I would say that it has it's own set of stressors. Anytime you step away from your comfort zone it will be a bit frightening.

My advice to you would be to make sure you have a plan. Save some money. Make a trip to where you want to move first..check things out. Look into temp housing, the job market for your skills, country work permit requirements, etc. One advantage you have in Europe are the Youth Hostles. You can find some inexpensive lodging while you get employed, etc.

Just have a plan. And don't worry....you will meet people. Go to places you like to hang out and the rest will fall into place.

Best of luck to you.
    1. Once a cheat always a cheat!
    2. YES, SHE can get pregnant the first time!
    3. NO, PULLING out IS NOT a RELIABLE method of Birth Control. DAMMMMIT..... Wrap that shyte UP!!

Women over 30 are dignified. They seldom have a screaming match with you at the opera or in the middle of an expensive restaurant. Of course, if you deserve it, they won't hesitate to shoot you, if they think they can get away with it.

For all those men who say, "Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free". Here's an update for you. Nowadays 80% of women are against marriage, why? Because women realize it's not worth buying an entire Pig, just to get a little sausage.

What the mind can conceive....the body will achieve!

ttuPrincess Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by .45Caliber

Also, I KNEW you were going to turn this into a sexist argument, "because I'm a female.." M or F has nothing to do with it. Women usually always try to turn a discussion into a sexist argument. "I'm a female so......" Its so typical. As you younger guys get older, you'll agree.
    I said that out of anger.. I dindt mean compeletly that it was because I was female.. but recieve the treatment from males on this board as some of us ladies have and you would undestand...

Im sorry I jumped on you... but I had basically 3 people attacking my views...

What country are you planning on moving to? It would be far easier to establish yourself in a western country such as the U.S. or western europe. Moving to a country such as Japan or Brazil poses its own problems. Mainly the language barrier and finding work but it is possible if you plan right. The main thing is to be sure to have enough cash to support yourself until you can settle in. I wouldn't worry to much about making friends, just be nice and it will happen.

Cheers mate and good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Commando_Barbi
    [U]
    Different maybe but no less traumatic for some. Any time you leave your comfort zone, wether it's college or just moving...there's a certain level of trauma and discomfort..

Don't think it's necessary to belittle her experience. She was simply stating that she understood the fear of leaving her comfort zone.
    ...I never belittled her I responded to her post. I gave my opinion, which was (judging from you post you didn't get). IT IS HARD TO MOVE AWAY FROM HOME. IT'S HARDER WHEN COLLEGE IS NOT IN THE PICTURE.

Rod Farva is offline Associate Member
    Playing the gender card was horrendously weak.

Disagreeing with somebody is not the same as attacking them.

College is completely different that this situation. The main diff being that basically everybody going to college is in the same boat as you so 99% of the people in your classes are in a "meeting new people mode" whereas if you go somewhere else later in life they're in a "I have plenty of friends already - why are you being nice to me - what do you want from me?" kind of mode. Much easier to make new friends at school.

yes i def want to do it cause its been in my head for years to do it and if i dont do it while im single ill not be able to and when im an olde lad i will regret not doing it.
    it would be 6 months to 8 months before i would do it to save a bit of money,and to get a job sorted etc.
    i was thinking amsterdam but i english speaking country is going to be a lot better,us ,canada, austrailia i would love to go to.thanks for the replys and experiences,my sister went to austrailia for 10 months and loved it and met lots of people staying in a hostel.
    will keep yous posted nearer the time

nickrizz is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1victor
    I found most people to be selfish and self centered.
    i 100% agree

Thread Information