Polska is offline Anabolic Member

Anyone working in the IT field?

I'm working to get a BSc in computer science and thinking to go into software engineering. .... I would be graduating in the next 4 years but I heard a lot of the software developer jobs are being outsourced to countries where labour is cheaper. In your opinion whats the best field to be in now and where do you guys think the market would be by 2009? Thanks

MBaraso is offline Retired Mod
    software developer jobs are almost non exsistant in the US and the ones that are are almost impossible to get because they're so many unemployed engineer's.
    Security is probably one of the best fields to be in right now and even down the road companies are always going to need top notch security guys.

Also the problem with any IT job is the fact that our wonderful president allows people to come over here from other countries on LB-1 visa's and work here for a third of what we're making. So your going to encounter alot of compitition no matter what field you decide to focus on.

Psychotron is offline Anabolic Member
    I dont graduate for another 2 years, but I already have companys talking to me. Wireless Software Engineering.

OSTIE is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MBaraso
    software developer jobs are almost non exsistant in the US and the ones that are are almost impossible to get because they're so many unemployed engineer's.
    Security is probably one of the best fields to be in right now and even down the road companies are always going to need top notch security guys.

Also the problem with any IT job is the fact that our wonderful president allows people to come over here from other countries on LB-1 visa's and work here for a third of what we're making. So your going to encounter alot of compitition no matter what field you decide to focus on.
    Any good reading on this? I mean I can see how it would be easy to have people from other countries work over for lower skill tech jobs, MIS, and such, but Engineering too? That takes ALOT of hard hard schooling.

Also, at my school, last years software engineers had a job placement of 98% after 6months of graduation with an average starting salary of $50+grand and now you post this?? lol

This kind of stuff worries me though. There are no more promises just by getting a bachelors these days...

MMC78 is offline Senior Member

Wow, gotta disagree. Plenty of opportunities for well educated ppl in IT. Microsoft, Amazon, etc all hiring (this is just in the Seattle area).

And by Security Job what are you talking about. I see the nebulous term "Security" thrown around all the time. What's the job description?

MBaraso is offline Retired Mod
    Quote Originally Posted by OSTIE
    Any good reading on this? I mean I can see how it would be easy to have people from other countries work over for lower skill tech jobs, MIS, and such, but Engineering too? That takes ALOT of hard hard schooling.

Also, at my school, last years software engineers had a job placement of 98% after 6months of graduation with an average starting salary of $50+grand and now you post this?? lol

This kind of stuff worries me though. There are no more promises just by getting a bachelors these days...
    Yeah..>All colleges have a job placement of 98% but ask them if that means the ppl got jobs in their fields? If you can't find a job in your field and you take a job at mcdonalds to make ends meet you're then part of the 98% that got a job after college.

MMC..>You live in seattle which is the IT capital of the US so I'm sure there are some decent jobs up there IF you have alot of experience. College grads have very little if any experience so it's harder for us to get a job.
    Just type in LB-1 visa on google and see what you come up with.

Also see what your compition is as far as other people's qualifications...Go to www.wewantwork.com and check out some of the IT ppl's resumes..If those people can't get jobs imagine how hard it is for a college grad w/ little or no experience to get one...

MMC..>You live in seattle which is the IT capital of the US so I'm sure there are some decent jobs up there IF you have alot of experience. College grads have very little if any experience so it's harder for us to get a job.
    Just type in LB-1 visa on google and see what you come up with.
    Seattle is far from the IT capital of the US. We have 1/10th the companies and jobs of the bay area. It's a good place to be though, but far from the best.

Also see what your compition is as far as other people's qualifications...Go to www.wewantwork.com and check out some of the IT ppl's resumes..If those people can't get jobs imagine how hard it is for a college grad w/ little or no experience to get one...
    Most of those people are on the Marketing/Managment side of things. None of the IT people there had undergraduate degrees in computer science. That doesn't mean anything in and of itself, but the original poster is planning on getting a degree in CS. That sheepskin makes things easier.

seanw is offline Banned
    I work for a big US Data Communications company. Our future is is Optical, Wireless, Security and IP Telephony. If I had a choice it would be a toss up between IP Telephony and Security, both of them have huge futures.

OSTIE is offline Senior Member
    Yeah..>All colleges have a job placement of 98% but ask them if that means the ppl got jobs in their fields? If you can't find a job in your field and you take a job at mcdonalds to make ends meet you're then part of the 98% that got a job after college.
    I know what your saying, but I do not think you read what I posted just after the 98% job placement after 6months.... and that is those 98% were receiving an average starting salary of over 50 g's the first year of work. Hell, if thats what mcdonalds pays, then I guess im there too.

Quote Originally Posted by Polska
    I'm working to get a BSc in computer science and thinking to go into software engineering. .... I would be graduating in the next 4 years but I heard a lot of the software developer jobs are being outsourced to countries where labour is cheaper. In your opinion whats the best field to be in now and where do you guys think the market would be by 2009? Thanks
    look i have a BS in computer science and i am currently doing MBA in management, to be a good IT guy u have to do the MCSD(microsoft certified solution developer) in parallel with the BS i am currently doing the 2 nd semester of the MCSD and its quiet iteresting.
    this is my advise , good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by guest-MilitiaGuy
    lMCSD(microsoft certified solution developer) in parallel with the BS
    No. Those degrees are pretty much worthless. If you want to get a good job at Microsoft, they don't care about certifications like those. Be smart, have good references and work experience. The additional certs are just gravy.

Elysium is offline Productive Member
    Whoa hey guys. I work in IT i work for Microsoft, in the UK. Its not as much software i deal with, im in charge of a one of 5 teams that take care of the internal systems. Thats from the servers (although they have relocated half of them to Ireland) to the laptops we use, and all the way down to Beta testing Longhorn and things like that.

Polska is offline Anabolic Member
    Thanks for replies all

Panzerfaust is offline Ron Paul Nuthugger
    Go the Security route..

I am gonna do a BA in ISS (Information System Security). I am a networking student though, i graduate in March.

Quote Originally Posted by muriloninja
    Go the Security route..

I am gonna do a BA in ISS (Information System Security). I am a networking student though, i graduate in March.
    because ur a networking student why dont u start a cisco(ccna) track ,i heard its an intereseting feild of networking lovers.

Thread Information