Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    radar1234 is offline Member

looking for new watch

im looking to buy a new watch.i owned a tag heuer before i lost it.im looking to spend about 3-4 grand cdn.even a pre-owned rolex would be cool.i want something that will last forever.any suggestions?

3-4 grands for a WATCH!?

Christ, most of the cars I've owned were worth less than that!!!

Red

Matrix78 is offline Associate Member
    thats alot of money but if you look in this months FHM they have a load of them and a bunch are in that price range i believe

Quote Originally Posted by Red Ketchup
    3-4 grands for a WATCH!?

Christ, most of the cars I've owned were worth less than that!!!

Red
    thats the same thing my girlfriend said.

Quote Originally Posted by Matrix78
    thats alot of money but if you look in this months FHM they have a load of them and a bunch are in that price range i believe
    thanks man.
    most of the ones in those kind of mags are usually dress watches.im looking for more of a diving/sport watch.

steve0 is offline NASM~AFPA~CPT
    go with the Stainless steal Rolex my pops has one whatch is bad...

mass junkie is offline banned
    I have a few nice watches..... only rolex I really like is the submariner with the blue face and that retails for about 3 grand.......I prefer my Movado Esperanza though for 995.00

gya321 is offline Member
    Go with the rolex. Actually I'll sell you mine

RussianVodka is offline Senior Member
    Just a 4K? Why don't you want to spend 40K:-)

Benches505 is offline 75% HGH 25% Testosterone
    You might be able to find an early 90's rolex daytona for that price. And those are nice with three dials and stainless steel. Check ebay

Quote Originally Posted by Benches505
    You might be able to find an early 90's rolex daytona for that price. And those are nice with three dials and stainless steel. Check ebay
    i did check out ebay and saw some nice ones.i just dont like using ebay for big puchases.id rather go through a store in person.its also good thatb a lot of ebay sellers are also store owners.

anaBROLIC is offline Only The Strong Survive
    3-4 grand canadian money.. means he wants to spend like 50 bucks in the states...lol jk... i wish i had a rolex...lol

Quote Originally Posted by phatmark
    3-4 grand canadian money.. means he wants to spend like 50 bucks in the states...lol jk... i wish i had a rolex...lol
    $4000cdn=$3338us.not bad eh?

Quote Originally Posted by radar1234
    $4000cdn=$3338us.not bad eh?
    Indeed, all I can say is THANKS Dubyaw!

In the last 2 years our dollar started skyrocketing and it's the highest it's been in around 20 years vs the US dollar and it keeps rising.

At this rate by the end of his term, the Canadian dollar will be worth more than the US dollar I guess we'll have to stop calling it the Canadian Pesos...

Hey Radar, I got a nice plastic Timex at the bottom of my closet, for you my friend I make special deal, only $2999.99! Cheap! Pas cher!

Red

PiecinItUp is offline Member
    I would go with the Cartier Roadster...comes with both a steal and leather band. Rolexs are nice but not really original. Check out pacifictime.com, you'll save a lot of money.

tycin is offline Anabolic Member
    breitlings r my favorite, i got one a couple mths ago i paid $7300 can. omega is a good watch too. u should check out those two, baume and mercier and some longines r nice.
    the only rolex i like is the one for 40k LOL, ridiculous!

Quote Originally Posted by tycin
    breitlings r my favorite, i got one a couple mths ago i paid $7300 can. omega is a good watch too. u should check out those two, baume and mercier and some longines r nice.
    the only rolex i like is the one for 40k LOL, ridiculous!
    i like the omegas.the breitlings are nice as well.

Neo
    Neo is offline Senior Member
    Go with Movado...I love Movado....

buy a timex for 30 dollars and donate the rest to charity.

Spoon is offline 'Lurker at the threshold'
    im looking to buy a new watch.i owned a tag heuer before i lost it.im looking to spend about 3-4 grand cdn.even a pre-owned rolex would be cool.i want something that will last forever.any suggestions?

get a rolex yachtmaster in stainless steel. rolex costs a lot but it will last forever and you could pass em on to your kids.

spkmania is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PiecinItUp
    I would go with the Cartier Roadster...comes with both a steal and leather band. Rolexs are nice but not really original. Check out pacifictime.com, you'll save a lot of money.
    i second the roadster, def. a bada$$ watch. you can sometimes get them cheap on ebay.

statuZ is offline Banned
    think how much juice and supplements you can buy with 3-4 grand

Spoon is offline 'Lurker at the threshold'
    Quote Originally Posted by spkmania
    i second the roadster, def. a bada$$ watch. you can sometimes get them cheap on ebay.
    i like the roadster but i have bad experience with cartier. they defintely arent as rugged as the rolex watches.

Jack87 is offline Retired Vet
    I've always like the Omega Constellation Collection... And you'd
    still have a few $2K left over... Most go for about $2K max unless
    you get all fancy with diamonds...

Check em out: http://www.omega.ch/
    Last edited by Jack87; 11-08-2004 at 02:33 AM.

NUTRI-VET is offline Junior Member
    Bro check e-bay you can get a good deal on a used watch there.

BigGreen is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by trailrider38
    buy a timex for 30 dollars and donate the rest to charity.
    There was actually a pretty decent and thorough study done a few years back (if you're *really* interested i can hunt it down, but I know it was at least referenced in either "the millionaire mind" or "the winner take all society") that demonstrated that, after you get above a certain income level (maybe 35 -45K or something like that), there actually exists a NEGATIVE correlation between timepiece value and net worth. Can't recall the statistical value exactly, but it was such that you were almost assured of the fact that, once you had a set of people in a room all guaranteed to have an income of at least 50,000, if you lined them up from most expensive watch to least expensive watch, you'd also be VERY close to lining them in order from least net worth to highest net worth.

I can tell you that the wealthiest person I know on a personal level (wealthy enough to have appeared on a magazine's "fifty wealthiest people in [insert state name]) buys his watches at WalMart and actually tries to haggle the price a bit. One anecdote a proof does not make, but interesting nonetheless when viewed in light of that study.

All of that being said, a nice watch can be a **** nice accessory. I was given a Tag as a token of appreciation after my summer internship and I LOVE that thing.

PT
    PT is offline DUNAMIS ~ AR-Elite Hall of Famer~
    when i graduated from college my parents bought me a tag heuer watch. its white gold with 4 quarter caret diamonds. i love it and get compliments on it just about every time i wear it. its worth a little more then your willing to spend but i thing tag and rolex makes the best quality watches. for 3grand you can find quite a few nice tag heuer watches. that is what i like and if i were you id stick with it.

Elysium is offline Productive Member

Hey bro, i have a Raymond Weil, its a 24k chronograph, they only made 100 of them when they were released, and they were made in 1990. Absolutely gorgeous, i got it for my 18th from dad and it cost over 2k GBP then.

My dad owns a few watches, he like his watches! He has a Breitling which is probably the best made watch ive seen, very strong and very "manly", he has a few rolex's, a submariner which is nice, only thing about rolex's is the fact that they are soooooooooooooo popular.

Philippe Patek do nice watches too. There is quite a few swiss brands that you may not of heard of.

OK guys, heres my baby Its a Raymond Weil Ltd Edition GMT Chronograph model. It has a 24k face and details and a crocodile leather strap. It has one extra hand as you can see which if you set it correctly can tell the time in different countries detailed on the bezel.

My dad bought this in 1990, on a flight by Virgin Atlantic, they sold these in business class, to date i have only see one other model, and it was a silver one In 2002 i turned 18, he has kept it sealed and boxed until that time when he gave it to me, so when i recieved it, it was brand new with certificate and everything Love my dad!

He bought i for 2k, so today i can only wonder what its worth.

A shot from the side

A shot from the back, you can see through and see all the workings, it works on movement so that charges it up, it has no batteries or anything

Oh just noticed the date Its wrong coz i havent worn it in a month coz i been workin out hard and dont want to get it all messed up!

craneboy is offline Senior Member
    get the rolex model# 16610, stainless steel submariner $4000. thats my next watch

Quote Originally Posted by craneboy
    get the rolex model# 16610, stainless steel submariner $4000. thats my next watch
    My dad has a Submariner, but quickly found out they aren't worth the hype, personally if i were to buy a new watch i would choose something a bit different, not somrthing that everyone has. Look for the Brietlings, they have some gorgeous watches.

OGPackin is offline Anabolic Member
    I have the stainless sub and love it. Iv tried wearing other watches, but i always go back to my sub.

OG

needmorestrength is offline Anabolic Member
    I have a Casio delux works wonders lol.. I really like the kenneth Cole line. I've got a dress one from them that look's perfect with suits etc

Elliot is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigGreen
    There was actually a pretty decent and thorough study done a few years back (if you're *really* interested i can hunt it down, but I know it was at least referenced in either "the millionaire mind" or "the winner take all society") that demonstrated that, after you get above a certain income level (maybe 35 -45K or something like that), there actually exists a NEGATIVE correlation between timepiece value and net worth. Can't recall the statistical value exactly, but it was such that you were almost assured of the fact that, once you had a set of people in a room all guaranteed to have an income of at least 50,000, if you lined them up from most expensive watch to least expensive watch, you'd also be VERY close to lining them in order from least net worth to highest net worth.

I can tell you that the wealthiest person I know on a personal level (wealthy enough to have appeared on a magazine's "fifty wealthiest people in [insert state name]) buys his watches at WalMart and actually tries to haggle the price a bit. One anecdote a proof does not make, but interesting nonetheless when viewed in light of that study.

All of that being said, a nice watch can be a **** nice accessory. I was given a Tag as a token of appreciation after my summer internship and I LOVE that thing.

Yup.. i never understood why people who make 30-50k buy watches that are a fraction of their yearly income.. like someone said get a movado donate the rest.. im pretty sure there are people out there that need that money more then you need that watch..

fitnessNY is offline Senior Member
    I have the tag heuer replica of the 1964 "heuer" monza. This is before tag merged with heuer -- it is a great watch. The tag alter ego and sea racer watches are also a great watch.

Maraxus is offline Banned
    Timex with a calculator. You'll be flossin.

The Baron is offline Fourth Koala of the Apocalypse
    I have owned a Yachtmaster, a GMT Master, and also plenty of good fakes of both, fakes of other Rolexes (I am wearing a very dressy silver/silver fake JustDate now) and fakes of Breitlings. Good fakes are usually with Citizen or Seiko movements and aren't bad. Sometimes the plating wears off the case and turns your wrist blue-green LOL! Especially fi you sweat a lot. My preference, since I am a seaman, is the GMT master. Makes it very easy to keep track of GMT or your home time zone or both. A good fake can't be recognized without taking it off your wrist and handing it to a very knowledgeable person. Looks great, and costs $35 (Persian Gulf or Far East) to $100 (U.S.) comparable to a nice digital. Usually fakes even with good movements need regulation and most jewelers won't even open one up so you might gain (more common) or lose as much as a couple minutes per week and have to reset it often. Oh, even a cheap digital will usually keep better time than a good wind-up or "masturbation powered" watch. The reason that a "chronometer" is so valuable is not that it keeps perfect time... it DOESN'T. It is because the RATE of gain or loss is remarkably steady and therefore it is useful for navigation purposes where you must be able to calculate the time of a celestial sight to the very second. A second of error equals approximately 1/4 nautical mile of error in the Line Of Position derived from the sight. Knowing a chronometer's rate will allow you to correct the watch time to the actual time with insignificant error. For best overall accuracy, an ordinary timex or casio has a Rolex beat by a small but very real margin. Plus you can take it off for a couple of days and it will still be running. And mechanical watches with alarms are very rare!

For personal pride of ownership, get a real rolex.
    For showing off, get a fake rolex or brietling.
    For practicality, hard to beat a $40 timex with the indiglo background.

biglouie250 is offline Anabolic Member
    OMEGA, the only watch to be commisioned by NASA to fly in space and the watch james bond uses, need i say more? they have pieces that range from 1500 to 100,000. Love them, they are great i have one, i love the look its awesome. Rolex isnt a watch, its a piece of jewelry, their actual time piece is as accurate as a seiko.

PT
    PT is offline DUNAMIS ~ AR-Elite Hall of Famer~
    when i want to buy a new watch for myself or as a present i go to the jewlery store and find a watch that looks good and is good quality, but there are some people on here that seem like they really research there stuff before forking over the dough. i cant get over the fact that someone actually knew the model number of the rolex he wanted.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information