Polska is offline Anabolic Member

Got this job opportunity.... would you take it?

Ok here's the thing... there's this local company that is interested in hiring me. They are a computer consulting sort of business, but operate more like a franchise where a selected group of people get to buy into their powerbrand, which then allows you to build a client base and make money when the client(s) need any sort of services. I specialize in software development so a lot of local businesses would be potential clients for me.

It is not free to join this franchise... it costs roughly $2500 US to buy into the powerbrand.... but I have to build my own client base so work is never guaranteed. They also keep 50% of what I earn, with the exception of hefty bonuses for monthly sales exceeding $10,000, $25,000, $50,000, etc....

Now this company is growing steadily since 1999 and is giving its employees the chance to buy stock before the company goes out with its IPO... so now is a good time to start working for them while the company is still young, and stock is cheap.

I have friends who work for this company and are making anywhere between $35,000-$40,000 a year servicing mostly residential customers. Those servicing small to large businesses make anywhere between $60,000-$90,000+ a year. This is after their 50% cut.

Now the flip side of the coin is that my dad desperately wants me to go to university and get my BSc degree in computer science. He has offered to pay for the tuition for me. This is roughly a $25,000 value. And the average starting salary for IT comp sci. grads is $50,000+.

So... what would you do.... would you take the job opportunity and roll with it or would you decline in order to pursue a free education?? Keep in mind I'm 22 right now and have already put off an education this long, I know that if I take this job I probably won't have the willpower to go back if I get any older.

I have to meet this company rep one-on-one on Wednesday evening to "discuss the possibilities". And I'm completely torn between going to school and getting some actual work experience. What should I do??

mitch428cj is offline Member
    id go with the degree , maybe you could try something like that on the side if not then id still go with that first

PiecinItUp is offline Member
    Degree for sure bro....then your most likely gaurenteed the 50k+

Spoon is offline 'Lurker at the threshold'
    go to school and earn that degree. plus the company you mentioned has to many "ifs"

Lostsoul is offline Associate Member
    get your degree mate, it sounds like you can start your own company like that anyway, so why give someone 50% of the money because of the brand. Too many if's and it sounds like BS to me.

MMC78 is offline Senior Member
    Degree. 40k is nothing for a BS in CS. End of discussion.

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Free Education ANYDAY!

The other job sounds shady as sh*t anyhow.

Don't buy into anything, create your own job later!

~SC~

Polska is offline Anabolic Member
    Thanks for the replies , unanimous across the board.. I think I got my answer

Bigen12 is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Polska

Now the flip side of the coin is that my dad desperately wants me to go to university and get my BSc degree in computer science. He has offered to pay for the tuition for me. This is roughly a $25,000 value. And the average starting salary for IT comp sci. grads is $50,000+.

What should I do??
    Get the BSc degree in computer science, without a doubt.

If you were to go into that business, and not get a college degree, you could be setting a ceiling on your earnings potential.

That and I am very leery of any company that requires that you invest your capital.

Thread Information