OSTIE is offline Senior Member

Bowhunting the rut this weekend...

I got a 4day weekend and im about to head out in a couple hours. Goin to the univ. of WI-madison tonite to party with some buddies then heading upnorth to bowhunt.

Looks like it should be PRIME rut action. My pops and brother went up last weekend and they saw 4 bucks a piece all chasing does. Ill probably wait for a buck that has a spread past the ears. If it gets to sunday, though and I have no luck, ill probably pop a doe so we can get some more meat in the freezer.

Anyone else been up yet?

fitnessNY is offline Senior Member
    Good luck, my friend just got a decent size 5pt buck last Saturday with a bow in NJ.

jonnytour is offline Member
    My bro's went hunting up in the middle of butt-fvck Ontario at my Grantparents' place. No bows though, just rifles. They got three. My youngest bro got a doe and my grandfather picked off 2 as well! Good ol' grandpa. The guy's 79 yrs old, blind in one eye and has a catrac in the other, and he's still a better shot than I am!! I hope I can live to his age and be in as good of health as he is!!

Soldier of Misfortune is offline Senior Member
    I have a military dinner first shotgun season next weekend. Then second season is possibly the MAC conference championship football game that I dont want to go to but have to, if NIU makes it. I might haffta wait till January when pistol season, cept this year they opended it up for any firearm other than rifle. Theres TONS of deer around central/southern illinois. If its brown, its down!

hung-solo is offline Anabolic Member
    rifle season starts in n.c. this saturday.. it black powder right now so i hunt with a bow during that time.. its nice and quiet. i get to sneak around on posted grounds (city property) hahaha

Iowa is offline Banned
    Ive been going every weekend since Oct 1 in southeast iowa. The deer movement has been fairly slow, but last weekend I saw 3 bucks chasing does and my buddy had 2 young bucks fighting about 50 yards from his stand. This weekend should be even better. I also shined my headlights on a fvcking MONSTER in the field after it was dark. Man he was big. He was at least a 170 class buck, but I doubt he'll get killed. They're big for a reason.

Thanks for the good lucks, im officially out, ill try to post pics when i get back... if im lucky.... later bros

Iowa is offline Banned
    Hey OSTIE, any luck this weekend? I got into my stand at 615 Saturday morning and I got down at 11 and I saw 10 bucks and 2 does. I was hunting with 2 other guys and we were about 200 yards apart from each other and one guy saw 10 bucks and the other saw 6. The guy that saw 6 shot a nice 10 pointer.
    I didnt get a shot at anything that was worth a crap but get this. 11 rolls around and I decide to get down. I lower my bow and get ready to climb down when I look over and see a nice 8 pointer just staring at me. I was pissed. I had no bow and a nice shooter about 20 yards from me. Oh well.
    Also, I got a call from a buddy last night that said he shot a monster, but he shot it in the neck. He uses a recurve and the bow hit his stand when he released his arrow and made a bad shot. He said there was a lot of blood, but he ran out of a trail and couldnt find it. Hes going back out tonight to try to find him though. He found the sheds LAST year and they measured 159 WITHOUT a spread. So he said this year he was at least a 170 incher. I hope he finds it.

muff-chaser is offline Associate Member
    my friend just killed a 9 point with an 18 inch spread this evening on my land

Iowa is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by muff-chaser
    my friend just killed a 9 point with an 18 inch spread this evening on my land
    Nice. Where you at?

muff-chaser is offline Associate Member
    georgia

Quote Originally Posted by Iowa
    Hey OSTIE, any luck this weekend? I got into my stand at 615 Saturday morning and I got down at 11 and I saw 10 bucks and 2 does. I was hunting with 2 other guys and we were about 200 yards apart from each other and one guy saw 10 bucks and the other saw 6. The guy that saw 6 shot a nice 10 pointer.
    I didnt get a shot at anything that was worth a crap but get this. 11 rolls around and I decide to get down. I lower my bow and get ready to climb down when I look over and see a nice 8 pointer just staring at me. I was pissed. I had no bow and a nice shooter about 20 yards from me. Oh well.
    Also, I got a call from a buddy last night that said he shot a monster, but he shot it in the neck. He uses a recurve and the bow hit his stand when he released his arrow and made a bad shot. He said there was a lot of blood, but he ran out of a trail and couldnt find it. Hes going back out tonight to try to find him though. He found the sheds LAST year and they measured 159 WITHOUT a spread. So he said this year he was at least a 170 incher. I hope he finds it.
    No, didnt get a shot at anything big enough.... I credit it mostly to my little brothers friend being a fckin nob.... Everytime we went out into the woods, he found someway to be fckin noisey, although he was the only one to shoot a deer. He shot it an hour after light, a terrible shot that luckily hit an artery, then he gets outta his stand and walks right through the middle of the forest to go back to the cabin instead of taking the road around.... Then the next day, i was fortunate enough to hear his grunt calling skills, which scared away more deer...

Needless to say, me and my brother are the only ones up there who knew how to skin and quarter a deer, but because of his antics he will have to take it to a butcher shop

Oh well, next week starts gun season, I do know if im going yet because I favor bow over gun, otherwise ill get out there for some lateseason.

Regardless this time of year, I get all hyped and go through hunting pictures, ill try to post some once I get a chance of our previous hunting years, our camp fairs pretty decent every year.

Thread Information