OSTIE is offline Senior Member

HELP!! I got this check in the mail...

So I was outta town this weekend as were my parents.... I get home before them today and the fedex guys knocks on the door. I sign of this envelope from canada. Me and my pops have the same name, so I do not open it because im not sure who it is for. Well he gets home and he says its not for him, so we both open it.

Inside is a check for a large amount of money. We read the letter and it says here is my requested payout requested from my Royal Vegas account, which is a part of Fortunelounge. First thing that popped outta my mouth was lets split it. My ma is always the cautious person who says we should not. I convinced her to let me do some research on this first and give it some time.

So far ive checked and seen that this is a legit online gambling website. Ive checked one of my credit card accounts to see if someone has been using my account, it looks good from what I can see. I have another to check yet.

My dad had credit card fraud on his CC about a month ago from brandbase.net. From the research ive done thus far, this company is not associated with fortunelounge.

Any tips on how I should quietly go about researching this WITHOUT the company finding out that we had nothing to do with this, because I could REALLY use that money for school.
    Last edited by OSTIE; 11-15-2004 at 07:19 PM.

BigMike J is offline Anabolic Member
    if the check is in your name cash the motherfawker.. not your fault.

Worst they could do is make you pay it back. It was their mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by BigMike J
    if the check is in your name cash the motherfawker.. not your fault.

Worst they could do is make you pay it back. It was their mistake.
    True, only thing is if I spend it, itll go to school bills, meaning it will be very hard to come up with that money if they want it back.

Either way when I start calling around tomorrow, I will be cancelling my name/subscription on this online gambling website.

Psychotron is offline Anabolic Member
    It's kinda weird don't you think that someone would just by chance have the same name as you, and that on this gambling site's database your address is listed there? I don't see how that mistake can happen, I would just cash it and forget it.

Mart651 is offline The Redneck Queen of the Lounge
    Cash it. They will not have much legal recourse and you can always say you won it and deleted your account. Rock on bro. I would.

MASStermind is offline Banned
    so how much is the amount?

decadbal is offline Banned
    cash it and how much is the check dammit we wanna know

$2,600.... which will be split in half between my dad and I since we have the same name and we do not who if it is for me or him

workdude is offline Senior Member
    Cash it and forget about it.

Quote Originally Posted by workdude
    Cash it and forget about it.
    This is probably what I will do. I just have to double check my creditcard transactions as does my dad to make sure someone isnt using one of our accounts for their loses, because then it will be hard to argue fraud when we accepted that check.

PiecinItUp is offline Member
    2,600....what would I do with 2,600.....blow it all on hats

Quote Originally Posted by PiecinItUp
    2,600....what would I do with 2,600.....blow it all on hats
    LOL... I see your from wisconsin bro... what part? Im on the southside of Milwaukee and I commute to downtown milwaukee for college.

houseofpain is offline Banned
    cash it, what the he!l else can ya do with a check?
    ~HOP

jonnytour is offline Member
    Very good idea to be a little cautious! As soon as all of your CC accounts are cleared I would cash that cheque! Congrats! A company sent my wife and I two items the same by mistake. After like a year they called back and said they wanted us to either pay for the extra item or return it. My wife told them "Sorry, it's your fault. Not my fault you screwed up and sent me an extra. I allready returned it for the cash and spent it!" There was nothing they could do! There will be nothing this other company will be able to do to you either! They wrote the cheque....they will have no legal recourse to get the money back.

arthurb999 is offline Anabolic Member
    That's actually a very small amount... they probably won't even miss it...
    or be too embarrassed to ask for it back.

Bigen12 is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    I would read the check carefully, and make sure that you’re not entering into any contracts or agreements, by signing and cashing it, and if not, I would cash it ASAP.

P Rock is offline Member
    first of all make sure someone didnt use your card and spent like $5,000 on your card. and you are only getting back $2,600. if your card is clear, i would do a credit check as well, they must of gotten your info some how. and if everything is clear, then i would cash the check and buy alot of gear, forget the school supplies. and i would hook your father up with a few bucks, so he can get his drink on.

biglouie250 is offline Anabolic Member
    does it say "non-transferrable" anywhere on the "check" if it does it is not a check and by cashing it you having unwittinglly signed up for something......

agreed, do a credit check because someone may have opened a credit card account in your name without you knowing.

Thanks for the good info bro's... im going to start callin around in a couple hours and get to the bottom of this, then cash it

Quote Originally Posted by biglouie250
    does it say "non-transferrable" anywhere on the "check" if it does it is not a check and by cashing it you having unwittinglly signed up for something......
    BTW, why does cashing in a check that says no-transferrable mean I signed up for something??

Pale Horse is offline F.I.L.F.
    If you cash it, it will be a mistake and no good shall come of it.

because a check is transferrable, (you can sign it over to someone which makes it "bearer paper" in contract law) if it is non-transferable then it is not a check because by definition a check is trnasferable. And in this case usually by signing it, you will unwillingly sign yourself up for something.

Sage is offline Anabolic Member
    cash it......

In england if you cash a check and leave it for 3 weeks after that period the company in question can't ask for it back.... especially if its in your name and was sent to your address...
    just somethin to bear in mind if the laws are the same in the US..
    cash and keep it the worst that can happen is they ask for it back... then u can just give it them.. if not... ur all smiles!
    good luck

Quote Originally Posted by ChEmIcAlLy_AsSiStEd
    In england if you cash a check and leave it for 3 weeks after that period the company in question can't ask for it back.... especially if its in your name and was sent to your address...
    just somethin to bear in mind if the laws are the same in the US..
    cash and keep it the worst that can happen is they ask for it back... then u can just give it them.. if not... ur all smiles!
    good luck

that applies here to for a payroll checks only i believe. the employer has until the next pay period to get the money back from the employee or they lose it. unless the employee voluntarily gives it back.

Thread Information