Thread: how do they fix

ttuPrincess Guest

how do they fix

a herniated disc?

my step mom ( a nurse) said taht is her predicition on my back problem that occured Sunday night from squating...

pain in my lower back shooting out to my right hip and down my knee...

if thats what it is... how do they fix it?

decadbal is offline Banned
    if your sittin up typing, then it isnt.. i had one almost ayear ago, and i coudlnt even get up to go piss... i went to a chiropractor for mine, and it wasnt a severe one.. most require surgery, they told me i had two options, surgery or try a chiro... the chiro has worked so far.. good luck.. but like i said if your up moving around it isnt that.

hung-solo is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ttuPrincess
    a herniated disc?

my step mom ( a nurse) said taht is her predicition on my back problem that occured Sunday night from squating...

really without surgury its a long long process.. i ruptured one due to the fact that i ingnored it when it was herniated.. take care of it!! i cant express that enough. i am 26 and i still have pains from that from 4 years ago

hung-solo is offline Anabolic Member
    a herniated disc?

oh and squats are so bad for your back. there are other alternatives ttu. its not worth it imo

If you're lucky you'll require a chiropractor and some time...maybe some vikes to help you out with the pain. I Just hope that you don't rupture it later on...I'd probably hold off the squats for a loooong time.

ttuPrincess Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Decadbal
    if your sittin up typing, then it isnt.. i had one almost ayear ago, and i coudlnt even get up to go piss... i went to a chiropractor for mine, and it wasnt a severe one.. most require surgery, they told me i had two options, surgery or try a chiro... the chiro has worked so far.. good luck.. but like i said if your up moving around it isnt that.
    Im just going off what my stepmom has predicted.. I know nothing about injuries...

It hurts to sit, stand, walk, even lay down in most positions... the only time it hasnt hurt is when i was in the dentisit chair yesterday and they had be tilted almost upside down...

needmorestrength is offline Anabolic Member
    hmm... go see a doc and chiropractor.. I have bad muscles in my lower back and they still get stiff.. I took about 6-7 months off of squats and dead's! I go to the chiropractors still and will never stop! how are you lower abs? Mine are very weak and I am strengthening them up as fast as possible and it's making a big difference for my lower back!

Psychotron is offline Anabolic Member
    you could wear a back brace for like 5 -6 months.

ttuPrincess Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by needmorestrength
    hmm... go see a doc and chiropractor.. I have bad muscles in my lower back and they still get stiff.. I took about 6-7 months off of squats and dead's! I go to the chiropractors still and will never stop! how are you lower abs? Mine are very weak and I am strengthening them up as fast as possible and it's making a big difference for my lower back!
    my abs and back should be prety strong from pillates

the earliest a chiropractor could get me in is friday morning...

Juggernaut is offline AR Jester
    I could be wrong Tutu but in most cases they fuse the vertibra together. I've been putting off surgery for years for the same reason.....I've a really bad back. Have you been to the docs to have a scan done? X-rays?

1badcamaro is offline Anabolic Member
    my abs and back should be prety strong from pillates

the earliest a chiropractor could get me in is friday morning...
    try advanced pillates, it has done wonders for my abs, not to mention my butt and thighs

Danielle is offline Female Member
    don't you need an MRI to determine a herniated disc?..........i have 2 in my lower neck/upper back from a bad car accident 3 years ago........believe me, you would definlity know.........extremely painful...........
    Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, THAT IS STRENGTH

Juggernaut is offline AR Jester
    Quote Originally Posted by Danielle
    don't you need an MRI to determine a herniated disc?..........i have 2 in my lower neck/upper back from a bad car accident 3 years ago........believe me, you would definlity know.........extremely painful...........
    One of the best ways to to get a myloscope (sp...sucks ass). They inject a dye in the spin and it'll show up big time.

Bigen12 is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Danielle

They did a MRI of mine, and you could clearly see it in the sections.

My DR prescribed me having Internal Disc Decompression. Basically you go to the Dr about 3 times a week for treatment, where they lay you down on the machine, hook up a pulley to your chest and to your legs, and the machine pulls your legs while your chest and upper body stays still, decompressing the disc. The machine pulls for one minute, and then releases pressure for 30 seconds then repeats this procedure for 30 minutes a treatment, at first I doubted if it was working, however 8 weeks later I was a believer.

Mine was serious, I lost feeling in my left foot, and the toes on my right foot, the doctor told me if I started loosing strength in either leg, he was going to have to operate immediately, or risk becoming paralyzed.

Hopefully you just have a pulled muscle.

Here is a link

http://www.spinaprogram.com/?OVRAW=i...OVMTC=standard

Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer
    I had a herniated disc and I could not sit down for more then 5 minutes at a time and in the end even laying down was painfull. Do you want to know what fixed it. DEADLIFTS. I started doing romanina deadlifts. in the begining I could hardly get the bar below my knees cause of the pain but the longer my range of motion got the less pain I had overall. the day I could touch my toes again was the day I had no more pain. Also did alot of ab work and the pain when doing that is undescribable.
    I did exactly the oposit of what the physio therapist told me and fixed myself. When I did what he told me it got alot worse.
    But I dont recomend that you do the same ...

Danielle is offline Female Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigen12
    They did a MRI of mine, and you could clearly see it in the sections.

My DR prescribed me having Internal Disc Decompression. Basically you go to the Dr about 3 times a week for treatment, where they lay you down on the machine, hook up a pulley to your chest and to your legs, and the machine pulls your legs while your chest and upper body stays still, decompressing the disc. The machine pulls for one minute, and then releases pressure for 30 seconds then repeats this procedure for 30 minutes a treatment, at first I doubted if it was working, however 8 weeks later I was a believer.

Mine was serious, I lost feeling in my left foot, and the toes on my right foot, the doctor told me if I started loosing strength in either leg, he was going to have to operate immediately, or risk becoming paralyzed.

Hopefully you just have a pulled muscle.

Here is a link

http://www.spinaprogram.com/?OVRAW=i...OVMTC=standard

ouch............i went for physical therpy 3 times a week for 6 months and i didnt need any type of surgery......
    Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, THAT IS STRENGTH

JdFlex is offline Senior Member
    If you have lower back pain shooting into your hip and down to your knee, chances are you injured a disc. I don't think that would be a muscluar problem. But then again I'm not a Dr. I had an MRI and it clearly shows I have 2 ruptured discs. I can't do squats anymore which is disappointing, but at least I can still walk. What saved me was hyperextensions. I highly reccommed them. Keep the abs strong too. Those are your "core" muscles which will stabilize your spine. My Dr. told me I need surgery, but I'm doing ok without it. He wants to take out one of the discs and replace it with what is essentially a spring-loaded contraption which is supposed to act like the disc. He can't garuntee success, nor give me any kind of success rate. Most people I've talked to said they are worse after that surgery. So I'm gonna wait it out until I absolutely must have it. I went to a physical therapist and they taught me the exercises to get better and I am much better these days. I don't know if your problem is similar to mine, but I can't stress the hyperextensions enough. I do 50 of them every day. If I miss a few days in a row, my back starts hurting. When I get back to them, its ok. So as you can see, I can't live without them. Good luck. I would also recommend getting a 2nd opinion. My Dr. is a pro-surgery and can't wait to get me on the table. But I know I can make it a while without.

jonnytour is offline Member
    My dad has about 3 herniated discs in his back and several degenerating discs in his neck. With surgery they either replace the disc as was mentioned or fuse the vertibra. Either way I have heard only negative reports on both procedures. I would suggest physio/chiro and going to your Doc. If the doc wants to opperate get a second opinion for sure. Findout what the pt/chiro thinks as well. There are many things you can do and different things work for different people. Good luck and I hope you have a speedy recovery!

Thread Information