Gorgoroth_ is offline Associate Member

Injured , but dunno what exactly is wrong .

I got injured a few months ago doing squats and the injury is showing no signs of healing . I was maxing out on squats in my weight training class . I am not all that familar with free weight squats at this point - but I know what a parallel squat is - anyway , I have 385 on the bar and my coach keeps screaming " go lower , lower ! " I go until my calves are literaly touching my ass , and my ass is only a few inches from the ground . I start to rise and I feel a lot of pressure and pain in my lower spine ( which I attribute to poor form ) so I bail out .

Normally the safety bars on the squat rack would catch the weight and prevent it from falling on me , but the bars were set too low and the weight follows me down to the ground - I land on my knees , with the weight still on my back.

My coach asks me if I am ok , I respond saying yes and I push the weight off my shoulders , back onto the safety bars that were suppose to prevent it from droping so far. ( the safety bars were a few inches lower then they were suppose to be )

Since I am graded on my max out weight ( if I go above my last max , I get an A , if I match my old max , I get a C , if I fail to go up or match my old max I get an F )

I attempt a slightly lighter weight of 365 ... at this point I am not feeling any pain except for a loose feeling in the small of my back ... I go really low again like my coach tells me , I start going up and I feel bad pain in my lower back and I fall again , this time taking the skin off my right knee . This time my back feels very tight.... I decide to go ahead and take an F and not push it and risk permante injury . I thought the back pain would go away , and some of it has but I've noticed my right leg is not the same

I cannot be in a sitted position and fully extend and lift my right leg up in the air without feeling pain in my lower back , right glute , and half way down my hamstring . I do not think this pain is muscle related... I've pulled muscles before , the feeling is different . Its hard to put the pain I am feeling into words.... it feels like I am streching something and its about to break .

its been a few months now , and I still have this problem ( as well as chronic back pain )

Commando_Barbi is offline AR's Arresting Angel Vet
    What kind of class requires you to continue to push heavier and heavier weights or fail? Your coach saw you go down like that and still allows you to push that kind of weight? Have you been to a doctor?

If not GO NOW!
    1. Once a cheat always a cheat!
    2. YES, SHE can get pregnant the first time!
    3. NO, PULLING out IS NOT a RELIABLE method of Birth Control. DAMMMMIT..... Wrap that shyte UP!!

Women over 30 are dignified. They seldom have a screaming match with you at the opera or in the middle of an expensive restaurant. Of course, if you deserve it, they won't hesitate to shoot you, if they think they can get away with it.

For all those men who say, "Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free". Here's an update for you. Nowadays 80% of women are against marriage, why? Because women realize it's not worth buying an entire Pig, just to get a little sausage.

What the mind can conceive....the body will achieve!

bigol'legs is offline Quadzilla
    Quote Originally Posted by Commando_Barbi
    What kind of class requires you to continue to push heavier and heavier weights or fail? Your coach saw you go down like that and still allows you to push that kind of weight? Have you been to a doctor?

If not GO NOW!
    I agree completetly here. Tell your coach he doesnt know WTF he is doing. I remember taking a weight training class in HS and we only did max outs every now and then, but we werent graded on if we did more weight, we just had to show we were trying.

Go to the doc... and make sure you tell him you did it at school and to send the bill to your coach..

That's what I thought. Seems to me that grading someone based on a max out....is bad. It encourages students to lift more than they should before they are ready...and ignore injuries rather than fail a class. Well your max lift won't do you SiHT if you are in a wheel chair for the rest of your life!
    3. NO, PULLING out IS NOT a RELIABLE method of Birth Control. DAMMMMIT..... Wrap that shyte UP!!

Women over 30 are dignified. They seldom have a screaming match with you at the opera or in the middle of an expensive restaurant. Of course, if you deserve it, they won't hesitate to shoot you, if they think they can get away with it.

For all those men who say, "Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free". Here's an update for you. Nowadays 80% of women are against marriage, why? Because women realize it's not worth buying an entire Pig, just to get a little sausage.

My father has considered " talking " with my coach about the routines he has me and fellow class-mates doing .

Yes , every six weeks we have to max out , if we don't we get poor grades as a result .

My coach's logic behide this is if we're " giving our all then we should show results " . so this is a way for him to evaluate our progress. I really wish we didn't have to max like this , or atleast get to decide when we max . ( I've had to max while sick )

No , I haven't been to the doctor just yet although my Grandmother is going to arrange a visit soon to a doctor .

.45Caliber is offline Associate Member
    Is this for real? I can't understand why he would have you max out on an exercise when you mentioned you were not familiar with free weight squats or that particular exercise. ****, that's just not right. Added to the fact that you get graded on your max's...... that guy has issues.

Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer
    It sounds like disc hernia or some kind of nerv damage. it feelt just like that when I had a herniated disc that put pressure on the sciatic nerv.

Is your coach following the same routine and is HE increasing his Max every 6 weeks? It's been my experience that coaches THINK they know what they are doing in the weight room and that is dangerous. My daughter's h.s. PE teacher, also the BB coach was "teaching" them to use free weights and some of his methods were injuries just waiting to happen. I pulled her out of the class.

I'm not a doctor but I know enough about the human body to know that you need to see a doc and get checked out before you lift ANY more weights, esp if you are trying to max out. You are screwing with your spine...and that's nothing to be messing with. If your coach has a problem with that, your dad certainly needs to have a "word" with him before he cripples YOU or someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorgoroth_
    My father has considered " talking " with my coach about the routines he has me and fellow class-mates doing .

Yes , every six weeks we have to max out , if we don't we get poor grades as a result .

My coach's logic behide this is if we're " giving our all then we should show results " . so this is a way for him to evaluate our progress. I really wish we didn't have to max like this , or atleast get to decide when we max . ( I've had to max while sick )

No , I haven't been to the doctor just yet although my Grandmother is going to arrange a visit soon to a doctor .

Ironically , my coach rarely works out any more because he got a hernia in his stomach a few years ago and he apparently won't go through with the corrective surgery that could repair it .

My grandmother was a nursing assistant , she worked 25 years in a hospital and she thinks I might have nerve damage , as does her best friend who is a nurse.

First chance I get I am going to a doctor .

One of my best friends is also having to go to a doctor - he was squating 320 and he heard a loud pop in the base of his skull , where his neck and skull meet. since then he's had a recurring pop in the back of his head in the same general area and it floors him.

He is a big dude , i've seen him box and he can " throw down " and take hits from other big dudes but when that " pop " went off in the back of his head he was in so much pain he couldn't move and he couldn't say anything . I've never seen him in so much pain. I told him to stop lifting and go to a doctor . he thought it the poping and the pain would go away because Coach told him that he had the same thing and it goes away after a few days - well Coach apparently lied . My friend went to a chiropractor , they said they couldn't examine him without his parents consent . ( he's 17 and his dad was at work , his mom lives in another part of the state ) . he said he's not going to lift until he gets to the bottom of the pain in his head.. luckily we're out for thanksgiving break so we don't have to squat for awhile

Thread Information