wrstlr69sdnl is offline Senior Member

Wireless Internet connection

I bought a laptop recently and it has a 802.11g wireless modem built inside right now i have a cable modem line just hooked right into my laptop but I want to make it so I can get internet whereever I go heres my question someone said I needed some internet card and a wireless router I think any ideas i have no idea when it comes to computer crap thanks

Wrstlr69sdnl

D-END is offline Anabolic Member
    I have wireless internet I have a cisco systems card but
    I didn't know anything about comps either....still don't.....go to Best Buy they hook you up. They don't work on commission so they won't fuk you either.

TooSmall is offline Associate Member
    wireless router will give let you use your laptop anywhere within a certain range of it, it will most likely be fine unless you live in a f'ing mansion

run the cable modem into the router and the wireless will reach the laptop

KeyMastur is offline VET
    if you're in an apartment complex, go ahead and search for any existing wireless networks - if some exists, you might want to cancel your high speed internet and just "borrow" the neighbors. haha.

Elysium is offline Productive Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KeyMastur
    if you're in an apartment complex, go ahead and search for any existing wireless networks - if some exists, you might want to cancel your high speed internet and just "borrow" the neighbors. haha.
    There was a survey conducted in London a few years ago, a bunch of guys drove all around London and tryed to pick up wireless connections and access networks and such, they found hundreds of sites.

On another note, why is it that people are now using the Lounge for computer discussion? Every other day a computer thread is made and its in the wrong section

Quote Originally Posted by MESSY_UK
    There was a survey conducted in London a few years ago, a bunch of guys drove all around London and tryed to pick up wireless connections and access networks and such, they found hundreds of sites.

On another note, why is it that people are now using the Lounge for computer discussion? Every other day a computer thread is made and its in the wrong section
    Cause I dont play by the rules BWHAHA

CABLE MODEM > ROUTER > LAPTOP

Your modem will need to be able to use Ethernet connection, if you do not have an Ethernet connection on the back and you normally connect it using USB to your laptop then you will need to purchase a new modem, OR several companies do routers with built in modems. This is all assuming you have a DSL/ADSL connection

Psychotron is offline Anabolic Member
    You only need the wireless gateway, your labtop as you said already has the wireless capable card built in.

Im retarted Wireless gateway?

mass junkie is offline banned
    Quote Originally Posted by wrstlr69sdnl
    Im retarted
    Truer words have never been spoken on this forum by a member referring to themselves

Quote Originally Posted by wrstlr69sdnl
    Im retarted Wireless gateway?

Ignor that.

You need a router. Read my reply, re-read it, then read it again then go and buy yourself a router.

Quote Originally Posted by mass junkie
    Truer words have never been spoken on this forum by a member referring to themselves
    FU

Psychotron is offline Anabolic Member
    I had presumed you had a router, so a gateway would be the only thing you would then need, but if you are without a router, buying a wireless router can cause problems in the future, as you are left without the capability to connect multiple pc's without the wireless option.

Router - 45
    gateway - 50

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotron
    I had presumed you had a router, so a gateway would be the only thing you would then need, but if you are without a router, buying a wireless router can cause problems in the future, as you are left without the capability to connect multiple pc's without the wireless option.

Router - 45
    gateway - 50

Thought this would make it easyer plus i just got a webcam so im messing with the software to it the first ones what in it and the second one is where the card goes i think right now im just running a cat .5 cable to it
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Wireless Internet connection-picture-3.jpg   Wireless Internet connection-picture-5.jpg  

TooSmall is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Psychotron

Router - 45
    gateway - 50
    just get a router with wireless and cable ports

Thread Information