bigguy20 is offline Associate Member

300zxtt engine swap

ok i currently own a 93 300zx but its naturally aspirated... i was wondering if it was a good idea to buy a tt engine and do a swap, does anyone think its a smart idea?? if so why and if not why not...thanks

needmorestrength is offline Anabolic Member
    not to familiar with the 300 engines.. But it might be your best bet to build on the old one? I am not sure if the two engines are built different aka pistons and rods?? Look at cost too of course.. anyone else?

Sage is offline Anabolic Member
    sell the old Z, buy a tt model and build the engine.....

i can't say 100% if its the same thing for the Z, but a single turbo street supra gets more hp with the much quicker spool and will dominate a tt model at the track....

RoNNy THe BuLL is offline Anabolic Member
    Was your ZX twin turbo?

Syndicate is offline Associate Member

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/428966

Then if you still feel like doin it try

http://www.jimwolftechnology.com/

Jim Wolf is the single most important person associated with 300zx's. Email the site and pop some questions.

http://z1-motorsports.com/TechnicalInformation.php

Has a couple files on the swap... My comp. doesnt feel like opening the adobe files for some reason.

Good luck.

thanks a lot for the info guys, see i dont wanna sell my n/a 300zx cause its in amazing shape and i know the whole history on it so i dont wanna risk buying a lemon, also internally the motors are very very similar, i just hear that its a gamble to do a swap cause the performance might not be up to par or reliable after doing such a big job...

styxecl is offline Junior Member
    i used to have a TT zx. from what i heard from other owners a engine swap is pretty easy to do. the only major difference that could affect the swap is that the N/A has a smaller fly wheel and i think this may cause trouble fitting a TT engine in...but it is do-able for sure.

will see what i can find out mate

Rocket is offline Senior Member
    The best way to do this is buy a whole TT car, that way you have every part you will need. Engine, Wiring Harness, Exhaust Manifolds, Engine Management System, Etc. I have done this and it is alot of work. It would be cheaper to sell you car and buy a Twin Turbo Car.

Rocket

angelxterminator is offline Senior Member
    ya selling your car would be much easier.

I originally owned a toyota supra naturally aspirated, and the whole engine is different from a twin turbo version. I was going to attempt the swap, but its a royal pain in the ass, so i just bought my 97 TT.

I'm not sure who said it, but single turbos are the bomb for supra's over the twins. Got a GReddy clipped T88 turbo in mine. Thats the largest turbo charger in the world from what i know. It takes a while to spool up, but lemme tell you, once that bitch gets going, nobody touches me!
    32 psi )

wow thats some crazy **** u got going on the supra man, anyways thanks a lot for all the info guys greatly appreciated. and syndicate thats some good info u found for me bro thanks a lot..
    Last edited by bigguy20; 11-28-2004 at 12:19 PM.

craneboy is offline Senior Member
    if your going to do a Z engine swap you should talk to DAVE at rebello racing, he is nissan racing guru. www.rebelloracing.com (925) 754-4871

thanks craneboy, ill look into that

shootdeep is offline Member
    go to your dealer and look at the nismo catalog. if they don't have a turbo set-up for your car steve millen will. your local nissan dealer should be able to steer you in the right direction. even the best factory equipment can't compete with aftermarket parts. factory turbos are built to last well into a car's life...at least past warranty period. aftermarket companies are concerned with one thing primarily.....POWER! a premium turbocharger will be built to last as well as deliver mind numbing boost and will probably still cost less than a swap.

shootdeep is offline Member
    you could always build an engine like the one in my avatar....

Quote Originally Posted by shootdeep
    factory turbos are built to last well into a car's life...at least past warranty period. aftermarket companies are concerned with one thing primarily.....POWER! a premium turbocharger will be built to last as well as deliver mind numbing boost and will probably still cost less than a swap.
    factory turbos on a Z TT model are the worse things about that car....they are not reliable at all and in this paricular case you MUST depend on the aftermarket for reliability and power all in one....

ok sounds good, see i dunno about rebuilding my engine though itll probably be just as expensive as the tt swap, these cars are very complicated to deal with. i was thinking of just dropping the tt engine in because everything is already there, i dont wanna forget to do something to my motor then f@ck it up u know what i mean? the tt is already all there and as for the turbos i can get after market turbos and just slap them on without touching the car internally, i mean to a certain extent, from what i know the motor can handle 400+ hp without any internal work done.

styxecl is offline Junior Member
    the TT engine is pretty strong as standard but as said before the turbos are a bit kack. you should do a fair bit of work on the engine while its out as the zed engine bay is soooooo cramped you'd be saving yourself a lot of money in the long run.

when one of the tubs on mine went i got the 60k service done and a few other things too as its much quicker and therefore cheaper with the engone out.

the new turbos were upgraded. you cant increase the boost too much over 15 or 16 psi without doing more work but you could atleast get turbos thatwill spool up a lot quicker...dunno if you've been in a TT zed before but the turbo lag is frustrating. my new turbos had better bearings and so spooled up quicker and it made a huge difference to acceleration even tho the boost wasnt increased

another thing is de-catting makes a nice difference to the spool up time if its legal to do in your state. if you do this on standard turbos however the rear oil seals on the turbos will eventually atart to leake so look into getting them upgraded at the same time

hope that helps. ifyou have anymore questionsPM me, i cant think of anything at the mo but i was very knowledgable on zeds while i owned mine and im sure i can think of some more useful info

awsome i will answer asap on that one thanks a lot buddy, ill im u tomorrow im just in a rush right now.

Thread Information