steve0 is offline NASM~AFPA~CPT

Handgun Question

what evreyone how ya doing ? well im interested in purchesing a handgun with in the next few months i have been shooting my friends 9MM but its really not what i want im looking at either a 40. cal or 45. cal any suggestions.

BOUNCER is offline Retired Vet
    I HATE to say this.. but SEARCH!. There must be a million threads relating to handguns here.

tbody66 is offline Anabolic Member
    Really depends on what you are going to use it for. I personally think that Sig makes the best semi-automatic handgun in a forty or forty-five caliber, not cheap though.

well im exspecting to drop at least 400-600 i have been looking at Sigmas and Glocks

A Desert Eagle should pretty much take care of your target. Its got a meana$$ kick.

The Baron is offline Fourth Koala of the Apocalypse
    What do you want it for-- target/plinking, home defense, car gun, open carry, concealed carry? What is your budget?

well i will be useing it for all once i have my concelled hangun licens my budget stands around 400-600 but most of the guns i have been looking at rang in the 400-450 area and the dealer says if i buy cash he will drop the price 15 to 20 %

Take a look at a Colt Defender. 45ACP single action, basically an officer's model but tricked out for concealed carry. Go with stainless. Costs a little more but less maintainence headaches and you can sweat on it in hot weather without messing it up so bad. The colt is very dependable and very basic, a real no-nonsense gun using a design that dates back nearly a hundred years and has stood the test of time in the trenches, on the range, and in the mean streets. It will be well within your budget.

cjp85 is offline Member
    Go rent some. Get what you like and dont be affraid to pay a little more. Its your life that may depend on it, so choose wisely

cjp85 is offline Member

Duck of Death is offline Associate Member

..Thanx, CJP...... I was just about to turn him on to that recent thread......

ottomaddox is offline "Better Safe Than Sorry"
    There is a lot of factors involved in buying a firearm. I own a Berreta 92fs 9mm.
    I'ts a great piece, reliable and never quirky. I've never fired re-loads in it. I only use the best ammo available. Sometime I wished I bought a bigger gun, but my friend has about 10 and we shoot all the time, target shooting, he's got a Casul 454, one of most powerful handguns available. Now when I shoot that thing, it tears my arms out of the socket. check it out http://www.securityarms.com/20010315.../1100/1129.htm
    It's about a dollar a bullet to fire. Hell of a lotta fun...............

Heh heh! That 454 do speak with authority! So does the 50AE. Big guns are fun to shoot but expensive to feed. I have never fired a 454 but I have fired a custom .50 magnum revolver and a 50 Desert Eagle and they move the friggin earth! A 44's recoil and blast seems like a 38 after touching off one of those hand-cannons!

cjp85 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Baron
    Heh heh! That 454 do speak with authority! So does the 50AE. Big guns are fun to shoot but expensive to feed. I have never fired a 454 but I have fired a custom .50 magnum revolver and a 50 Desert Eagle and they move the friggin earth! A 44's recoil and blast seems like a 38 after touching off one of those hand-cannons!
    You should try the 500 S&W Magnum. Ive never tried one, but those who have say its the biggest yet.

hung-solo is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cjp85
    You should try the 500 S&W Magnum. Ive never tried one, but those who have say its the biggest yet.
    i shot my friends' the other day.. long story short, i about busted my nose with it.. way too nasty..

Apart from the fact that I think you are talking about a revolver, how does it compare to the 50AE? Got any ballistic data? Sounds like a good no-nonsense car gun if you got the bucks to blow.

tycin is offline Anabolic Member
    fuk u guys in the states r lucky! fukn guns r expensive in can and if u get caught u dont get off very easily. fukn canada is gay.
    i persoannly like 380's-small but pack a lot of power.

cjp85 is offline Member
    Apart from the fact that I think you are talking about a revolver, how does it compare to the 50AE? Got any ballistic data? Sounds like a good no-nonsense car gun if you got the bucks to blow.
    Yeah, its a huge revolver. Many people use it for hunting. The muzzle energy of this thing is 3016 lb/ft. A 12ga 1oz slug has a muzzle energy of 2739 lb/ft and a 9MM has around 400 lb/ft. Compare that to the 9MM which has done the job many times. The question is, is it even practical?

Iowa is offline Banned
    Yeah, its a huge revolver. Many people use it for hunting. The muzzle energy of this thing is 3016 lb/ft. A 12ga 1oz slug has a muzzle energy of 2739 lb/ft and a 9MM has around 400 lb/ft. Compare that to the 9MM which has done the job many times. The question is, is it even practical?

you know you have a big ass handgun when you have a sling on that bitch

Quote Originally Posted by tycin
    fuk u guys in the states r lucky! fukn guns r expensive in can and if u get caught u dont get off very easily. fukn canada is gay.
    i persoannly like 380's-small but pack a lot of power.
    My paraordnances (made in Canada BTW... I have two, one blue and one stainless) are only slightly larger than many 380s and hold 10 rds of 45ACP in the mag and another round chambered. 380 blows for a defensive handgun.

cjp85 is offline Member
    .380=9MM short. Theyre fun to shoot, but the 9MM gets enough heat from the 45 freaks. Most hand guns should be used for two things, concealability and to get to your shotgun or rifle.

peump is offline Senior Member
    if you have the money a desert eagle would be an awesome hand gun to own

Quote Originally Posted by peump
    if you have the money a desert eagle would be an awesome hand gun to own
    actually they are a piece of shiit! i have done a ton of research on them. they throw them away for glocks, sigs and hk's

.380=9MM short. Theyre fun to shoot, but the 9MM gets enough heat from the 45 freaks. Most hand guns should be used for two things, concealability and to get to your shotgun or rifle.
    a good thing with the 9mills is the fact that by the time a .45 shooter gets off 3 not so great rounds a 9mm shooter can send six with a tight group. that is true for the most part. like said before its where you place your shot not what you are shooting

cjp85 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hung-solo
    a good thing with the 9mills is the fact that by the time a .45 shooter gets off 3 not so great rounds a 9mm shooter can send six with a tight group. that is true for the most part. like said before its where you place your shot not what you are shooting
    Especialy with big advances in ballistics over the past 10 years, I would rather have 16 rounds of quality 9mm over7 rounds of 45. The 45 is a well proven man stopper, but Im more comfortable with more ammo that is just as lethal if you put em where they need to be. I have a 9MM, 357 Mag and a 45 and now Im looking into a 40/357 Sig. All great for what their intended to do.

cjp85 is offline Member
    actually they are a piece of shiit! i have done a ton of research on them. they throw them away for glocks, sigs and hk's
    DE's are range guns. Period. Ever held one? I did the other day and it felt weird and the thing is just massive in every way. Its a very impractical gun and would never rely on one, but most of the rappers these days seem to.

Thanks for the pic! It sent a little shivery thrill through my body looking at it! I am of mixed thoughts as regards to mega-revolvers for hunting, since a follow-up shot really involves setting up for a shot all over again. Recovery from that recoil and re-acquisition of a target take a lot longer than a 44 for instance. Personally I think from a practical standpoint when you get into ballistics like that, you may as well go with a single shot like the Thompson Contender. The TC is much cheaper, I am sure, than that cannon. Nevertheless such a revolver must be an awesome thing to own and shoot on a regular basis.

Where I think a revolver that hyooooge has a real practical purpose is a panic type situation like anti-bear protection in Alaska or maybe as a car gun. A lot of hunters and fishermen in Alaska have used 44 revolvers in unsuccessful defense against bears. It sucks to be unsuccessful at that, too. You aren't gonna shoot accurately anyway, with a 9 foot tall bear a claw-swipe away from you; you just pull the trigger and you do it again if you are still alive.

cjp85 is offline Member
    Thanks for the pic! It sent a little shivery thrill through my body looking at it! I am of mixed thoughts as regards to mega-revolvers for hunting, since a follow-up shot really involves setting up for a shot all over again. Recovery from that recoil and re-acquisition of a target take a lot longer than a 44 for instance. Personally I think from a practical standpoint when you get into ballistics like that, you may as well go with a single shot like the Thompson Contender. The TC is much cheaper, I am sure, than that cannon. Nevertheless such a revolver must be an awesome thing to own and shoot on a regular basis.

Where I think a revolver that hyooooge has a real practical purpose is a panic type situation like anti-bear protection in Alaska or maybe as a car gun. A lot of hunters and fishermen in Alaska have used 44 revolvers in unsuccessful defense against bears. It sucks to be unsuccessful at that, too. You aren't gonna shoot accurately anyway, with a 9 foot tall bear a claw-swipe away from you; you just pull the trigger and you do it again if you are still alive.
    For bears I would probably want a long barrel G20 Glock 10mm with some hot loaded rounds and a 15 round mag. I would put every single round in the bear till it dropped.

I shoot a single action 45 much better than a 9, particularly a double action, and most 9s are double action. I have to renew my MSC small arms qualification annually. I usually have to thumb cock the baretta to get the first shot in the black, and we are not supposed to do that. In a combat situation I would also have to thumb cock, and if there were time for me to think, I would be thinking "I wish I had a 45 right now!" A colt acp clone is much more intuitive and much safer IMHO and my three rounds are gonna go where I want them to go. My first one unless it is a real panic shot will put the bad guy on his butt. You just can't tolerate a 45 hit to the torso like you can a 9 and the real difference comes when using military ball ammo. The 45 round takes a lot more of the fight out of a man. The 9 will not expand enough to write home about. You need civilian rounds for that and it is still iffy. The 45 doesn't need to expand. It is already nearly a 1/2'' hole going in, so you know it is at least that big going out again. More energy is expended within the target. For dependable stopping power combined with just the right PREDICTABLE amount of penetrability, it is better to not rely on bullet expansion in the first place. The big, slow projectile wins over the smaller, faster one, IMHO, in most CQB situations.

I think there is one very good market for that round that has largely been untapped... the subcompact civilian carry market. If a 10 rd 45ACP pistol can be made as small as the delightfully petite P-10, surely the 9mm would be a good round for a subcompact even smaller... a true pocket gun that has at least a credible amount of stopping power. Sort of like a 380 on gear hee hee! I would still rather carry the 45 but I can see how a lot of folks would fall in love with a 9mm made as small as a 9 could be made.
    Last edited by The Baron; 12-09-2004 at 10:58 AM. Reason: clarification

DE's are range guns. Period. Ever held one? I did the other day and it felt weird and the thing is just massive in every way. Its a very impractical gun and would never rely on one, but most of the rappers these days seem to.
    of course they do they dont know shiit anyway.

Especialy with big advances in ballistics over the past 10 years, I would rather have 16 rounds of quality 9mm over7 rounds of 45. The 45 is a well proven man stopper, but Im more comfortable with more ammo that is just as lethal if you put em where they need to be. I have a 9MM, 357 Mag and a 45 and now Im looking into a 40/357 Sig. All great for what their intended to do.
    i too am looking at the .40/357 sig.. i think that maybe what i get. its the most accurate .40 out there it seems.. if not that then maybe a g19 glock.. i love the 45 dont get me wrong i had one for years but they are limited on distance
    Last edited by hung-solo; 12-09-2004 at 11:21 AM.

GetinBig is offline Anabolic Member
    Glock. But get a compensated one.

I have a 19 and a 23

My p-10s go out with 11 rounds of 45ACP. There are 45s with 16 rd capacities. 7 rds? Old school stuff. That said, a 45 shooter doesnt NEED as many rds as a 9mm shooter.

cjp85 is offline Member
    i too am looking at the .40/357 sig.. i think that maybe what i get. its the most accurate .40 out there it seems.. if not that then maybe a g19 glock.. i love the 45 dont get me wrong i had one for years but they are limited on distance
    I have a Glock 19, I just got it about a month ago. Good all-around gun and cheap to practice with. Im picking up a USP compact in stainless like the one JCStomper posted on that other thread, except I think Im gonna get a .40 this time.

chgolatin2 is offline Junior Member
    In reality doesnt matter what type of "Gun" pistol or revolver you use, what matters most in any combat situation is shot placement, most close combat shooting situations involves less than 6 feet between you and your target so distance doesnt play a factor here. Btw, when your involved in a life of death situation were tunnel vision and stress is involved, you dont aim, you just point your weapon and shoot at your intended target.

I wouldnt recommend stainless steal, since it gives you away as a target. Shiny things are not good to have especially for conceal carry unless you want to tell the world that your packing, go small compact and light. Many compact .45 out there, if you have to use more than 10 rounds in any situation, you already lost the fight!

Imo, .45 caliber handgunsss are the best for close quarter combat situation. Colt, paraordnance, kimber, smith, taurus, sigs, countless brands to go for.

Good luck and remember, gun safety comes first! Latin

groverman1 is offline Cross Dressing Member
    H&K Mark 23 baby the best I have ever shot.

Thread Information