symatech is offline Retired Moderator

Can someone explain this to me?

I don't know what forum to put this in so I just put it here....

In much the same way that you pop your knuckle or back, my chest is popping. It's weird. Maybe about 6 fingerwidths above the zyphoid process (sp) and slightly to the left. It pops maybe about once or twice ever couple of days. never thought too much of it until today because it feels bruised. yet there is no physical evidence of a bruise. And now if I feel the area, there is a small hard spot that is raised -which I am presuming to be bone- Does anybody have an idea what the heck is going on in my chest? See the attached pic to understand where I'm talking about. Thanks

note: the black arrow points to a white circle where the problem is.

edit: oh yeah, it doesnt happen much when Im working out, just when I turn my upper body when in a chair or something like that.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Can someone explain this to me?-skel.gif  

1badSScamaro is offline New Member
    could a rib be fractured a little bit and its moving, ya know, bone against bone? I think your best bet would be to see a doc and get an xray brotha.

yeah im makin an appointment for next week. The only thing I can figure is a rib moving. thanks for the response bro

Vin10 is offline New Member
    I get this "pop" with my chest sometimes 3 or 4 times a day somedays.. also at my base of back quite a lot.. Ive put on alot of mass recently and just figured it was normal growth thing.. it ussualy occurs when i flex my chest or back muscles.. If you see the doc maybe you can post what he says

The Baron is offline Fourth Koala of the Apocalypse
    My xyphoid process is actually broken off! I don't know when I did it... probably years ago. Just discovered it 4 years or so ago. Doesn't bother me. It makes a little lump that is visible when I am cut but no biggie.

BASK8KACE is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by symatech
    I don't know what forum to put this in so I just put it here....

In much the same way that you pop your knuckle or back, my chest is popping. It's weird. Maybe about 6 fingerwidths above the zyphoid process (sp) and slightly to the left. It pops maybe about once or twice ever couple of days. never thought too much of it until today because it feels bruised. yet there is no physical evidence of a bruise. And now if I feel the area, there is a small hard spot that is raised -which I am presuming to be bone- Does anybody have an idea what the heck is going on in my chest? See the attached pic to understand where I'm talking about. Thanks

note: the black arrow points to a white circle where the problem is.

edit: oh yeah, it doesnt happen much when Im working out, just when I turn my upper body when in a chair or something like that.
    I had the same thing happen to me, but I never thought too much about it. It eventually stopped happening frequently. It normally happened after I had been sitting for a long time, working on calculations while slumpped a bit forward in my desk chair.

If you're really concerned, definitely see a doctor about it. It could be Costochondritis.

Here's a thread from a biking forum. Scroll down to see Spoon's response:
    http://www.bikeforums.net/archive/index.php/t-56518

Here's some more info on Costochondritis:

Costochondritis is an inflammation of the junctions where the upper ribs join with the cartilage that holds them to the breastbone or sternum. The condition causes localized chest pain that you can reproduce by pushing on the cartilage in the front of your ribcage. Costochondritis is a relatively harmless condition and usually goes away without treatment. The cause is usually unknown.

clchase is offline Female Member
    I was also going to guess that it was a cartilidge thing and most likely nothing to worry about if there isnb;t slot of pain associated with it. Broken or displaced ribs hurt like heck!

cb25 is offline Banned
    Yea, i wouldn't worry too much unless it's causing pain, swelling or limiting your ROM.

my chest pops, much like i crack my knuckles or back...i can do it on call.

thanks everybody

Thread Information