Carlos_E is offline National Level Bodybuilder/Hall of Famer/RETIRED

Steroids in high schools

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...oids.50f0.html

Plano ISD in steroids spotlight

As national media focus on steroid abuse in district, school officials play down problem

By KIM BREEN / The Dallas Morning News

Taylor Hooton hanged himself with two belts slung over his bedroom door a year and a half ago, but his story remains fresh on newsstands nationwide.

Taylor's steroid abuse and the depression that came with withdrawal has been covered in The New York Times and on 60 Minutes. Now, on the latest cover of Newsweek, a student poses in a Plano West Senior High lacrosse T-shirt next to the headline "How Sports Doping Hits Home."

Several years after a rash of heroin overdoses put Plano in the national spotlight, the Plano school district is a symbol for another adolescent killer: steroid abuse.

"We're talking to anybody that will listen," said Taylor's father, Don. He has lectured in school auditoriums, spoken before a Senate caucus and talked with the Drug Enforcement Administration. He grants interviews to American and foreign journalists. He has started a foundation to further spread the word about the dangers of steroids.

Taylor, a baseball pitcher at Plano West Senior High School, was headed into his senior year when he killed himself in July 2003 at age 17. His family blames the depressive effects of steroid withdrawal.

While reporters around the United States – and abroad – have been telling Taylor's story, the Plano school district has recently been quiet.

School district administrators declined to comment Monday, but Superintendent Doug Otto issued a prepared statement.

"We want to emphasize that there is not extensive usage of this substance by young people who attend Plano ISD schools," the statement said, citing statistics from a 2002 drug and alcohol survey. The study found that 2 percent of students in grades seven through 12 had used steroids, matching the state average, the statement said.

The district plans to do another survey in the spring, according to the statement.

Spokeswoman Nancy Long added that steroid information was "emphasized to an even greater extent" to coaches over the summer.

Mr. Hooton said Monday that he's angry about the Plano school district's reaction to Taylor's death. He said no substantive changes have been made to educate employees or students about steroids.

"I guess we have been overwhelmed with our ability to get out the message nationwide," Mr. Hooton said. "Locally, it's just been very disappointing."

Any negative perception about the Plano school district created by Taylor's death is the district's fault, he said.

"They've made this thing a black eye by ignoring it," Mr. Hooton said. "We could have become the poster child of the positive way to deal with this. Instead, by denying there's a problem, Plano has continued to put themselves on the map in the negative side."

Heroin deaths in Plano drew national attention in the 1990s because of media coverage and many community meetings, said Sabina Stern, program coordinator for the Collin County Substance Abuse Program. Steroids are getting similar attention because of Mr. Hooton's openness, Ms. Stern said. That doesn't mean Plano has a more serious problem than other communities.

"I think it's unfair to say Plano's this hotbed of steroids because I don't think it is," she said. The program sees hundreds of adolescents a year who are suspected of alcohol or drug abuse.

Steroid use comes up only a handful of times each year, she said. Still, she said, students might not be getting caught.

"One reason kids use these drugs is no one tests for them," she said. The attention does have its benefit, she said.

"In the alcohol and drug business, attention is education," she said. The more people hear about steroid or other problems, the more they start looking at their own families, she said.

Dr. Larry Gibbons, medical director of the Cooper Clinic in Dallas, presented a lecture on steroids with Mr. Hooton at Plano senior high schools. He also said the district did not seem interested in steroid testing or "getting the word out. ... I'm just a little disappointed with Plano."

He said it's impossible to know the extent of steroid use locally without testing or an anonymous study.

"We don't know what the extent of use is in Plano, and I don't think we ever will unless the heat gets turned up a little bit," Dr. Gibbons said. "I think we need a lot more news, a lot more attention called to this story."
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Steroids in high schools-1214newsweek.jpg  

Several years after a rash of heroin overdoses put Plano in the national spotlight, the Plano school district is a symbol for another adolescent killer: steroid abuse.

LOL @ adolescent killer: steroid abuse !

Taylor, a baseball pitcher at Plano West Senior High School, was headed into his senior year when he killed himself in July 2003 at age 17. His family blames the depressive effects of steroid withdrawal.

Notice how the parents blame steriods instead of themselves for their son's depression. Maybe they're horrible parents. But I bet they did not consider that.

I hope the kid on the cover of newsweek does not use. He looks horrible.
    Last edited by Carlos_E; 12-14-2004 at 11:42 AM.

Money Boss Hustla is offline Retired Moderator
    He was taking bunk gear...look at him!!

Lostsoul is offline Associate Member
    Before everyone jumps onboard and says steroids don't make you depressed, I know for a fact that they CAN, in some people. I myself cannot take them because when the test kicks in, so do the suicidal ideations. For the next 15 weeks I used to have one suicidal episode after another.

With all those hormones already circulating in their blood, no wonder it gets out of control and they get depressed, it's all about the chemicals.

Pale Horse is offline F.I.L.F.
    Typical mentality of todays American It's not my fault , I'm a victim, I'm gonna sue cause I got drunk and fell down a flight of stars at a nite club type shiat. No it wasn't my fault I drank that much they served me too much blah , blah, blah.

The kid and his parents bear 100% of the responsibilty for him killing himself. This didn't happen over a matter of minutes, days or even weeks. It probably took months of this kids and his parents ignoring his moods and actions before this happened.

Face it being a teen is diffucult and teen suicides are always higher than that of any age group. Crappy parents telling crappy lies, that's what I see.

Quote Originally Posted by Lostsoul
    Before everyone jumps onboard and says steroids don't make you depressed, I know for a fact that they CAN, in some people. I myself cannot take them because when the test kicks in, so do the suicidal ideations. For the next 15 weeks I used to have one suicidal episode after another.

With all those hormones already circulating in their blood, no wonder it gets out of control and they get depressed, it's all about the chemicals.
    My question... Did you have an existing condition before starting steroids? Did you have suicidal thoughts while not on? Do they just occur more often when you're on a cycle?

Quote Originally Posted by 1victor
    Face it being a teen is diffucult and teen suicides are always higher than that of any age group. Crappy parents telling crappy lies, that's what I see.
    I agree.

Lostsoul is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlos_E
    My question... Did you have an existing condition before starting steroids? Did you have suicidal thoughts while not on? Do they just occur more often when you're on a cycle?
    I didn't have a diagnosed condition, but before starting gear I hadn't have a suicidal thought for 6 years. Although when I was 15-18 I was severely depressed and had a few suicide attempts, my hormones were crazy back then, but I didn't try gear will I was 25. I now know that I can never take gear again, it's too risky.

It's not always about bad parenting, the seretonin levels in these teens must be off or maybe roids alter these chemicals somehow, but I doubt there has been any research into this.

decadbal is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Lostsoul

BS. anyone who says that, knows very little to 0 about aas use, everything is prexisiting, dont blame aas about your life, or dont use, it ruins the rep, and we have enough stupid ppl doing that and believing that.. take that crap to another site.

Deca and I are prime examples we were a-holes before AS and are a-holes after. But we aren't blaming it on AS we are trying to improve ourselves.

decadbal is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 1victor
    Deca and I are prime examples we were a-holes before AS and are a-holes after. But we aren't blaming it on AS we are trying to improve ourselves.
    exactly, i havnt changed at all, just bigger..

I have to get back on this after my joke. The bottom line is kids shouldn't be taking AS.
    End of story. Too much going on with their hormones already that's why the depression and suicide rates are higher in teens anyway. I'm on HRT so I need test there are two sides to coin.

Quote Originally Posted by Decadbal
    BS. anyone who says that, knows very little to 0 about aas use, everything is prexisiting, dont blame aas about your life, or dont use, it ruins the rep, and we have enough stupid ppl doing that and believing that.. take that crap to another site.
    That's what I was trying to get at. This kid probably had a preexisting emotional problem and AS just made it worse.

TheDfromGC is offline Anabolic Member
    at least get a better picture for the cover, that kid looks like hes never picked up a weight in his life...

Quote Originally Posted by TheDfromGC
    at least get a better picture for the cover, that kid looks like hes never picked up a weight in his life...
    I know. And that kid "claims" he's on steroids . I bet he wouldn't know a dbol from a flinstone vitamin. He just lied so he could make the cover of newsweek.

I'd be suicidal too if I spent my hard earned money on roids and came out looking like that.

hung-solo is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlos_E
    http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...oids.50f0.html

Plano ISD in steroids spotlight

As national media focus on steroid abuse in district, school officials play down problem

By KIM BREEN / The Dallas Morning News

Taylor Hooton hanged himself with two belts slung over his bedroom door a year and a half ago, but his story remains fresh on newsstands nationwide.

Taylor's steroid abuse and the depression that came with withdrawal has been covered in The New York Times and on 60 Minutes. Now, on the latest cover of Newsweek, a student poses in a Plano West Senior High lacrosse T-shirt next to the headline "How Sports Doping Hits Home."

"We're talking to anybody that will listen," said Taylor's father, Don. He has lectured in school auditoriums, spoken before a Senate caucus and talked with the Drug Enforcement Administration. He grants interviews to American and foreign journalists. He has started a foundation to further spread the word about the dangers of steroids.

While reporters around the United States – and abroad – have been telling Taylor's story, the Plano school district has recently been quiet.

School district administrators declined to comment Monday, but Superintendent Doug Otto issued a prepared statement.

"We want to emphasize that there is not extensive usage of this substance by young people who attend Plano ISD schools," the statement said, citing statistics from a 2002 drug and alcohol survey. The study found that 2 percent of students in grades seven through 12 had used steroids, matching the state average, the statement said.

The district plans to do another survey in the spring, according to the statement.

Spokeswoman Nancy Long added that steroid information was "emphasized to an even greater extent" to coaches over the summer.

Mr. Hooton said Monday that he's angry about the Plano school district's reaction to Taylor's death. He said no substantive changes have been made to educate employees or students about steroids.

"I guess we have been overwhelmed with our ability to get out the message nationwide," Mr. Hooton said. "Locally, it's just been very disappointing."

Any negative perception about the Plano school district created by Taylor's death is the district's fault, he said.

"They've made this thing a black eye by ignoring it," Mr. Hooton said. "We could have become the poster child of the positive way to deal with this. Instead, by denying there's a problem, Plano has continued to put themselves on the map in the negative side."

Heroin deaths in Plano drew national attention in the 1990s because of media coverage and many community meetings, said Sabina Stern, program coordinator for the Collin County Substance Abuse Program. Steroids are getting similar attention because of Mr. Hooton's openness, Ms. Stern said. That doesn't mean Plano has a more serious problem than other communities.

"I think it's unfair to say Plano's this hotbed of steroids because I don't think it is," she said. The program sees hundreds of adolescents a year who are suspected of alcohol or drug abuse.

Steroid use comes up only a handful of times each year, she said. Still, she said, students might not be getting caught.

"One reason kids use these drugs is no one tests for them," she said. The attention does have its benefit, she said.

"In the alcohol and drug business, attention is education," she said. The more people hear about steroid or other problems, the more they start looking at their own families, she said.

Dr. Larry Gibbons, medical director of the Cooper Clinic in Dallas, presented a lecture on steroids with Mr. Hooton at Plano senior high schools. He also said the district did not seem interested in steroid testing or "getting the word out. ... I'm just a little disappointed with Plano."

He said it's impossible to know the extent of steroid use locally without testing or an anonymous study.

"We don't know what the extent of use is in Plano, and I don't think we ever will unless the heat gets turned up a little bit," Dr. Gibbons said. "I think we need a lot more news, a lot more attention called to this story."

withdrawal?? hahahahaha whatever.. but i do think if you are going to do it be educated about it

Money Boss Hustla is offline Retired Moderator
    I sometimes get a bit blue after a cycle...but it goes away once PCT is done.

Deca made me a bit blue again while on. No idea why.

Bigen12 is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by hung-solo
    withdrawal?? hahahahaha whatever.. but i do think if you are going to do it be educated about it

And wait until your grown.

In addition there is nothing much left to hype since the election. The media (all) have turned into The National Inquirer. This is just another example of attention whoring on the part of Newsweek and any other "news" source who have done a "story" on it.

Thread Information