KGBnine is offline Anabolic Member

Anybody read the newsweek article on steroids?

WHere to begin?

First of all, the cover page is of an 18 year old boy who looks like he never has touched a weight in his life. According to the caption, his friend killed himself while on steroids . Before reading the article, I already knew they were going to blame AAS on his death. On page 46 theres a caption about one mans life. Here it is word for word"

"game over"-for Rob Garibaldi
    "A high-school star who wanted to play in the majors, Garibaldi had everything but size. SO he took creatine and andro in high school, then turned to steroids at USC. The drugs made him depressed and violent. But yearning for the big leagues, he continued to take them. In 2002 he shot himself to death months after he'd failed to get picked into the major-league draft. Now his parents hope Rob's story will steer other teens away from steroids."

With all due respect to the dead, this man killed himself because of a failed career, not because of steroids. How many athletes out there on steroids live meaningful happy lives? I'd say thousands more than those who tragically end up dying. But for those who die, such as Garibaldi, steroids are to blame according to the media and society, and nothing else. We live in an age where something, or somebody else is ALWAYS to blame for a failure.

TheChosenOne is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by aXe
    WHere to begin?

First of all, the cover page is of an 18 year old boy who looks like he never has touched a weight in his life. According to the caption, his friend killed himself while on steroids . Before reading the article, I already knew they were going to blame AAS on his death. On page 46 theres a caption about one mans life. Here it is word for word"

"game over"-for Rob Garibaldi
    "A high-school star who wanted to play in the majors, Garibaldi had everything but size. SO he took creatine and andro in high school, then turned to steroids at USC. The drugs made him depressed and violent. But yearning for the big leagues, he continued to take them. In 2002 he shot himself to death months after he'd failed to get picked into the major-league draft. Now his parents hope Rob's story will steer other teens away from steroids."

With all due respect to the dead, this man killed himself because of a failed career, not because of steroids. How many athletes out there on steroids live meaningful happy lives? I'd say thousands more than those who tragically end up dying. But for those who die, such as Garibaldi, steroids are to blame according to the media and society, and nothing else. We live in an age where something, or somebody else is ALWAYS to blame for a failure.

Actually I disagree. This man killed himself due to depression caused from lack of testosterone post cycle and the failure to conduct the necessary forms of PCT. I have a friend who experienced the exact same feelings as this guy did after his first go around with AAS. He knew nothing of PCT or about how to recover test levels. All things were well for a month or so after his cycle until his levels were nonexistant causing depression. The depression led to drug use which led to a number of life failures. Not exercising caution with AAS can certainly lead to depression and therefore suicide. I would venture to guess there are a number of individuals on this board of who have contemplated that same act while undergoing PCT. AAS can be used with great success but just like aspirin if not taken properly it can wreck your life. Yes, his story was most likely sensationalized but I would strongly agree that AAS misuse led to his death and probably others.

Very interesting point. So you're saying his lack of knowledge of PCT lead to his suicide...that may very well be the case. However according to the media and gen. public, it has been and always will be the steroids fault and not the person.

Very interesting point. So you're saying his lack of knowledge of PCT lead to his suicide...that may very well be the case. However according to the media and gen. public, it has been and always will be the steroids fault and not the person.

anabolicwannabe is offline Associate Member
    yeah the media sensationalized it most probably, but i doubt his parents wish was to actually "blame" steroids . i think they just wanted people to know of one the possible outcomes.. and this is one of the many outcomes from the lack of knowledge of use of roids (PCT rather..)..

edmen2 is offline Anabolic Member
    according to ur article he began using steroids but it doesnt mention if he ever came off. it sounds like he was determined and would do anything to make a major league team, therefore the more desperate the longer he may have used. if this is the case he would have never had a drop in levels. in order for them to blame steroids they must have showed up on the autopsy which support him being on cycle at the time of suicide. if he would have made the team would he have committed suicide? just another point of view.

Quote Originally Posted by edmen2
    according to ur article he began using steroids but it doesnt mention if he ever came off. it sounds like he was determined and would do anything to make a major league team, therefore the more desperate the longer he may have used. if this is the case he would have never had a drop in levels. in order for them to blame steroids they must have showed up on the autopsy which support him being on cycle at the time of suicide. if he would have made the team would he have committed suicide? just another point of view.
    This could be true but how many 18yr olds do you know that have enough money to pay gym prices to run all year around. The average gym price for test is $130+ easily and I dont believe he ever could have afforded to run that for multiple years let alone other compounds (ie deca , eq, etc).

when ur obsessed at becoming a star athlete u lie cheat and steal just like a crack addict. especially at 18 when u know everything.

Quote Originally Posted by edmen2
    when ur obsessed at becoming a star athlete u lie cheat and steal just like a crack addict. especially at 18 when u know everything.
    maybe but think about this from your own experience. When you are running high levels of test the last thing you think about is depression. Generally everyone is in a better mood when on test for a number of reasons. Test is prescribed (HRT) for men as they age to combat depression amongst other things. I still say he was depressed from fluctuating test levels and from not being drafted.

Quote Originally Posted by TheChosenOne
    maybe but think about this from your own experience. When you are running high levels of test the last thing you think about is depression. Generally everyone is in a better mood when on test for a number of reasons. Test is prescribed (HRT) for men as they age to combat depression amongst other things. I still say he was depressed from fluctuating test levels and from not being drafted.
    he may have been depressed from fluctuating test levels but my question is would he have committed suicide if he had the fluctuating test levels but still made the team.

Thread Information