muff-chaser is offline Associate Member

Arrow which deer rifle to buy?

hey, for the people who hunt on here, i am about to buy a new deer rifle. i am going to get the remington model .710 because it is the best priced rifle with a scope that i can find. it comes in 270, 30-06, 7mm mag, and 300 mag. i was thinking about getting the 300 mag just because it is the same price as the rest of them. Is this a good idea? the bullet for a 300 mag is huge!!!! Anybody ever shot a 300 mag and if so what are your opinions on this????

hung-solo is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by muff-chaser
    hey, for the people who hunt on here, i am about to buy a new deer rifle. i am going to get the remington model .710 because it is the best priced rifle with a scope that i can find. it comes in 270, 30-06, 7mm mag, and 300 mag. i was thinking about getting the 300 mag just because it is the same price as the rest of them. Is this a good idea? the bullet for a 300 mag is huge!!!! Anybody ever shot a 300 mag and if so what are your opinions on this????
    it depends on what area you hunt.. are you in open fields or in the woods? are you just going to shoot deer or others too like moose or what not.. personally 30-06 is the best all around big game gun.. for just deer a 270 is great, its a flat flying bullet.. i like the .308 but thats just b/c the military uses it and it shoots like a dream without the recoil of 30-06 and higher.. oh and if you can afford it go with the remington model 700.. buy a seperate scope too. 700's have been proven for years and years

Surferboy is offline Associate Member
    You are going to get alot of mixed feelings about which rifle to buy. I personally like the .270. My favorite three rifles for deer hunting are in order a .308, .243 and a .270. If you're just hunting whitetail, a 7mm is too large in my opinion. A .270 in a great long range accurate rifle.
    Last edited by Surferboy; 12-15-2004 at 09:24 AM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Surferboy
    You are going to get alot of mixed feelings about which rifle to buy. I personally like the .270. My favorite three rifles for deer hunting are in order a .308, .243 and a .270. If you're just hunting whitetail, a 7mm is too large in my opinion. A .270 in a great long range accurate rifle.
    yup!

well i hunt in open fields, propably the longest shot that i would EVER have to take would be like 300 yards. i would only be hubting hogs and deer with it, i would never shoot at an elk or anything because i live in georgia. i know that a 700 would be better than the 710 but my cashflow wont allow me to get a 700 right now. my little sister has a 700 243 and my brother has a 700 308 and they are great. what are the main differences in a 700 and a 710? i know the 700 is a whole lot better.

Swellin Guest
    I am a bit of a gun nut. I do a great deal of shooting, and can tell you that the rifle for you to get is the one that you can best handle. The recoil of a .300 is toomuch for most people to shoot accurately, specially in a light rifle like the 710.

Jack O'Connor killed everything in the US with a .270. I don't own a .270, but it would be the best overall choice for you in this situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Swellin
    I am a bit of a gun nut. I do a great deal of shooting, and can tell you that the rifle for you to get is the one that you can best handle. The recoil of a .300 is toomuch for most people to shoot accurately, specially in a light rifle like the 710.

Jack O'Connor killed everything in the US with a .270. I don't own a .270, but it would be the best overall choice for you in this situation.
    i agree, a well placed shot is better than blowing a gaping hole in the animal.. its all about accuracy and the 270 is **** good! low recoil, flat flying bullet is great for accuracy! 270 or.308 are great deer rifles..

i think that i might go with the 270. i have narrowed my decision down to a 30-06 or a 270. which bullet is better for longer ranges and which one shoots the flattest?

bump

Bigen12 is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by muff-chaser
    i think that i might go with the 270. i have narrowed my decision down to a 30-06 or a 270. which bullet is better for longer ranges and which one shoots the flattest?

I would go with the 270,

thanks for the info guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bigen12
    I would go with the 270,
    i concur

goodcents is offline "body piercing & body jewelry expert"
    I own all of the calibers you list and I like the .270" and .30-06. If it were me, I would get a savage, less expensive and better accuracy. The 710 won't be listed much longer. The barrel is pressed in under pressure, the trigger guard is formed as part of the stock. I reload for all of these calibers too, I would use 165gr. Hornadys for the .30-06 and 130gr. barnes triple shocks in the .270"
    You will be much happier with the savage rifle, or you might consider a used rifle ( they hardly ever get shot enough to wear out)

BOUNCER is offline Retired Vet
    I am a bit of a gun nut..
    Now thats like saying 'Arnie was a bit of a body builder!.

decadbal is offline Banned
    i bought a 270 for the 2 times i went, and they are great weapons, my cuz kills a few good sized deer each year and he uses a 22mag.. so id say that...unless you stumble around and make to much noise for it to get within 60yrds

cjp85 is offline Member
    I have a 7MM Rem Mag, and I'd say its more than enough for anything in the US and some African game. The 30-06 is a great all-around gun and you can practice more without having to refinance your house. It costs me about $1 per round when shooting 7MM, I need to get into reloading. The fast action of a 30-30 is nice too. Sounds like the .270 might be the way for you to go.

angelxterminator is offline Senior Member
    at 300 yards a 270 will lose a lot of power, but like everybody else said, its a great all around gun. Its not a very good brush gun, but you said your in open fields...so i'd say it was a good pick.

The only thing that would concern me is the loss of power, but if its boar and deer, you should be good to go IMO.

When i hunt long range i use my weatherby. .30-.378 supermag. That thing flies flat and FAST, but its a heavy rifle and and kicks like a fin jackhammer.

Of course i'm in NYC now so i dont get to use her much

OSTIE is offline Senior Member
    I agree with the people who said .270 or .243.... Nice flatshooting guns.... I think some of the higher calibur guns are a tad excessive.... As long as you practice and hit the deer in the killzone, you have nothing to worry about.... people still shoot and kill large game with recurves, so im sure any gun that is legal for big game hunting will be able to take down a deer at just about any distance if hit correctly in the kill zone.

Big Rush is offline The Juice Man
    I use a 7mm Mag...it is more than suitable for Deer hunting...lol

Blown_SC is offline Retired Vet
    Agreed. I have a .270 Winchester Bolt-action... with a scope... and that's what I'd recommend!

SickNasty is offline Associate Member
    7MAG remington model .700 because

I got 2, both of them shoot a .5 inch group at 100 yds using nosler partitions, They shoot even closer with ballistic tips. ( I use nosler for elk, deer and ballistic tips for prarie dogs) Load own ammo though so that helps with accuracy and cost.

I wouldn't go with the 300 becasue shooting it costs so much. If you reload that might be a good choice but I think a box of 20 rounds is like 50 bucks. the 7mag is like 30 bucks a box

the 7 has plenty of knockdown power and range, really the 300 could and can shoot farther but once you get past 300 yds wind really kicks your ass so it is not feasable anyway.
    Last edited by SickNasty; 12-15-2004 at 03:36 PM.

spywizard is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer~
    Weatherby Vanguard series..

any caliber

synthetic stock..

$400..
    The answer to your every question

Rules

A bigot is a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted
    to his or her own opinions and prejudices, especially
    one exhibiting intolerance, and animosity toward those of differing beliefs.

If you get scammed by an UGL listed on this board or by another member here, it's all part of the game and learning experience for you,
    we do not approve nor support any sources that may be listed on this site.
    I will not do source checks for you, the peer review from other members should be enough to help you make a decision on your quest. Buyer beware.
    Don't Let the Police kick your ass

kc
    kc is offline Female Member
    guess I don't have much rationale for my opinion but I use and like the 270 for smaller game and my 7mag for mule deer and up in size....

either way, have FUN!!!!!

Scooby1 is offline Member
    I hunt Elk and Mule deer with my 7mm. Rem Mag. I also use my .50 Cal. muzzleloader(Optima 209 mag)

Swellin Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by BOUNCER
    Now thats like saying 'Arnie was a bit of a body builder!.
    I see you caught that. lol

Here is a link to a few of my babies.....
    http://www.anabolicmonsterz.com/foru...8306#post58306

bbigman2000 is offline New Member
    Hi I spent 2 years culling deer in scotland after I left school, it is all red deer here which are fairly big, nothing like the size of an elk or moose though.

We all used .270 130grain bullets if I recall correctly the 150grains had a habit of spinning.

I must have culled over 400 hines and 50 stags over the 2 years, it was a very selective cull due to over population.

But anyway the .270 has a good trajectory upto 300 yards appx and is a good powerful round.

make sure you buy a decent rifle I used a steyr mannlicher .270 with a swavorski scope 3-12 x 50mm whcih was good even in poor light conditions.

Hope that helps.

956Vette is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer
    Blog Entries
    I have a couple rem 700s. a 7mm and 300mag, both with custom muzzle breaks and the recoil is very tame to say the least.

For deer i love my 270 WSM. The short mag really has some punch to it, and with my khales scope it is dead on

goodcents is offline "body piercing & body jewelry expert"
    Didn't mean to apply that the 710 was a piece of junk, it's just that for less money, you can get a savage rifle that shoots under 1" all day long and if you decide to rebarrel latter it's possible. The 710 cannot be rebarreled due to being press fit.I like the .270" and .30-06 about equal. Given a choice of one rifle(what a nightmare that would be ) I would pick the .30-06 and hunt almost anything.

Commando_Barbi is offline AR's Arresting Angel Vet
    First time I hunted it was with a 30-06. Whew.....there wasn't much of me and it nearly knocked me on my ass.....but I got my buck 4 pt 8 to you eastcoasters

Quote Originally Posted by hung-solo
    it depends on what area you hunt.. are you in open fields or in the woods? are you just going to shoot deer or others too like moose or what not.. personally 30-06 is the best all around big game gun.. for just deer a 270 is great, its a flat flying bullet.. i like the .308 but thats just b/c the military uses it and it shoots like a dream without the recoil of 30-06 and higher.. oh and if you can afford it go with the remington model 700.. buy a seperate scope too. 700's have been proven for years and years
    1. Once a cheat always a cheat!
    2. YES, SHE can get pregnant the first time!
    3. NO, PULLING out IS NOT a RELIABLE method of Birth Control. DAMMMMIT..... Wrap that shyte UP!!

Women over 30 are dignified. They seldom have a screaming match with you at the opera or in the middle of an expensive restaurant. Of course, if you deserve it, they won't hesitate to shoot you, if they think they can get away with it.

For all those men who say, "Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free". Here's an update for you. Nowadays 80% of women are against marriage, why? Because women realize it's not worth buying an entire Pig, just to get a little sausage.

What the mind can conceive....the body will achieve!

Mr.Magoo is offline Junior Member
    The best rifle for you to get would be a Kimber. Get a 7mm-08 because it has the recoil of a .243 with the knock down of a .270. Your shooting a 140 grain bullet with virtually no recoil. The Kimber is also one of the lightest rifles on the market. They have to shoot a 1 inch group before the leave the factory. Top it off with a Zeiss 3X9 50mm scope and you are set to go. What ever you do don't use the see thru scope mounts. They throw the accuracy of the rifle way off.

Duck of Death is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hung-solo

..I couldn't agree with this advice more.

Thread Information