Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Elysium is offline Productive Member

How things used to be, the culture, the way people lived...

Hey all, i want to have a mature discussion here.

Ive been watched crouching tiger hidden dragon earlier, after watching and reading into different cultures its really got me thinking.

There was so much tradition, so much mystery, so much passion and it all seems so romantic, the way people used to live. Theres nothing today that compares.

You following me so far?

I mean like a samaurai, the tradition, the rules they lived by- and died by. Also the way people married, the way they courted.

Not only chinese/japanese etc culture but also egyptian, they lived by rules which were goverened by beliefs, magic beliefs.

I would go to live in the past, in the ancient chinese, japanese, egyptian etc etc clutures any day. Yes i know you wouldnt have the luxurys, i dont care to be honest.

In todays society there no tradition, no wonder, no mystery, do you know what i mean?

Spoon is offline 'Lurker at the threshold'
    Quote Originally Posted by MESSY_UK

Ive been watched crouching tiger hidden dragon earlier, after watching and reading into different cultures its really got me thinking.

There was so much tradition, so much mystery, so much passion and it all seems so romantic, the way people used to live. Theres nothing today that compares.

You following me so far?

I mean like a samaurai, the tradition, the rules they lived by- and died by. Also the way people married, the way they courted.

Not only chinese/japanese etc culture but also egyptian, they lived by rules which were goverened by beliefs, magic beliefs.

I would go to live in the past, in the ancient chinese, japanese, egyptian etc etc clutures any day. Yes i know you wouldnt have the luxurys, i dont care to be honest.

In todays society there no tradition, no wonder, no mystery, do you know what i mean?
    i know what you are talking about. today's world seems so impersonal and with the onslaught of technology there is no more value in arts/culture. given a chance, i would have loved to live during the renaissance in italy!

cjp85 is offline Member

Yeah, I know what you mean. In the US our traditions are being wiped away by special interest groups who think that if one person is affected by something, a million others should have to deal with it.

its just the whole magic, the whole tradition and the ways and their beliefs... i mean we have moved on but... i would love to live in them times, life just seems so much more simple

AandF6969 is offline Made Up Of Wires
    maybe the movies hype it up too much also... life probably sucked ass back then if you werent rich or in a royal family, ya know?

Quote Originally Posted by AandF6969
    maybe the movies hype it up too much also... life probably sucked ass back then if you werent rich or in a royal family, ya know?
    yea sorry dont assume i just takin all this from a movie!

can u just imagine to live as a samaurai for example? or to work as a carpenter in ancient egypt... the way they lived, what they believed to be true when they died, the way they loved the tradition come on man

like the fact that a belief in gods, and the beliefs that they had in egyptian times compelled them to build the pyramids, belief did that, not a guy wanted a nice big home... its amazing i think.. so much magic.

Maraxus is offline Banned
    No way man. Here is the Samurai Creed.
    I have no parents; I make the Heavens and the Earth my parents.
    I have no home; I make the Tan T'ien my home.
    I have no divine power; I make honesty my Divine Power.
    I have no means; I make Docility my means.
    I have no magic power; I make personality my Magic Power.
    I have neither life nor death; I make A Um my Life and Death.

I have no body; I make Stoicism my Body.
    I have no eyes; I make The Flash of Lightning my eyes.
    I have no ears; I make Sensibility my Ears.
    I have no limbs; I make Promptitude my Limbs.
    I have no laws; I make Self-Protection my Laws.

I have no strategy; I make the Right to Kill and the Right to Restore Life my Strategy.
    I have no designs; I make Seizing the Opportunity by the Forelock my Designs.
    I have no miracles; I make Righteous Laws my Miracle.
    I have no principles; I make Adaptability to all circumstances my Principle.
    I have no tactics; I make Emptiness and Fullness my Tactics.

I have no talent; I make Ready Wit my Talent.
    I have no friends; I make my Mind my Friend.
    I have no enemy; I make Incautiousness my Enemy.
    I have no armour; I make Benevolence my Armour.
    I have no castle; I make Immovable Mind my Castle.
    I have no sword; I make No Mind my Sword.

There is beauty in their culture and their beliefs. I admire this, this gave true meaning to life.

Quote Originally Posted by Maraxus
    There is beauty in their culture and their beliefs. I admire this, this gave true meaning to life.
    Agree 100% i think its amazing, they reached an understanding within themselves and came at peace. i would trade all to live that life

Agree 100% i think its amazing, they reached an understanding within themselves and came at peace. i would trade all to live that life
    I would give everything up given the opportunity.

DADDYDBOL is offline Anabolic Member

You following me so far?

bro i went to a&m.....we have plenty of tradition.....but i know what you mean

Quote Originally Posted by DADDYDBOL
    bro i went to a&m.....we have plenty of tradition.....but i know what you mean
    sorry whats a&m

More food for thought...

THE SAMURAI AND THEIR USE OF BUSHIDO

In Japan the warrior class was known as samurai, also called bushi (hence bushido). They formed a class in and of themselves during the 9th and 12th centuries. They emerged from the provinces of Japan to become the ruling class until their decline and later total abolition in 1876 during the Meiji Era.

The samurai were fighting men, skilled in the martial arts. Samurai had extensive skills in the use of the bow and arrow and the sword. They could just as likely have killed you with their bare hands. Samurai were also great horsemen.

These warriors were men who lived by Bushido; it was their way of life. The samurai's loyalty to the emperor and his overlord, or daimyo, was unsurpassed. They were trustworthy and honest. They lived frugal lives with no interest in riches and material things, but rather they were interested in honor and pride. They were men of true valor. Samurai had no fear of death. They would enter any battle no matter the odds. To die in battle would only bring honor to one's family and one's lord.

Samurai usually would rather fight alone, one on one. In battle a samurai would call out his family name, rank and accomplishments. Then he would seek out an opponent with similar rank and do battle. When the samurai has killed his opponent he severs his head. After battle he takes the heads of his enemies back to show proof of his victory. Heads of generals and those of high ranks were transported back to the capital and displayed for the officials and others. The only way out for a defeated samurai was death or ritual suicide: seppuku.

Seppuku--or disembowelment or hara-kiri (belly slicing)--is when a samurai stabs a knife into his abdomen and literally disembowels himself by cutting out his guts. After the samurai disembowels himself another samurai, usually a kinsman or friend, slices his head off. This form of suicide was "performed under various circumstances: to avoid capture in battle, which the samurai did not believe to be dishonorable and degrading, but generally bad policy; to atone for a misdeed or unworthy act; and perhaps most interestingly, to admonish one's lord" (Varley, 32). A samurai would rather kill himself than bring shame and disgrace to his family name and his lord. This was considered an act of true honor.

The samurai became the ruling class during the 1400s and the 1500s. In the 1600s there was a time of unification; warring in Japan had ceased. Then toward the end of the Tokugawa Era (the late 1700s), Japan began to move towards a more modernized and Western way of life. There was no need for fighting men, for warriors, for samurai. The samurai and their way of life was officially abolished in the early 1870s, but it was not forgotten.

a college that was formed by the marine corp....

You know I love my country, but we pale in comparison when it comes to true history like Asia and Europe.

yea bro i didnt mean to disrespect anyone by sayin theres no culture, but in comparisent, u know what i mean?

You know I love my country, but we pale in comparison when it comes to true history like Asia and Europe.

yeah but we have only been around for what? like 300 years (since white ppl came to the us)....so i think were doing ok for the short amount of time weve been here....we carry alot of europeon traditions with us still

look at england and the palace gaurds.....thats some cool stuff

i know what you mean....the code of honor and stuff like that....

yeah but we have only been around for what? like 300 years (since white ppl came to the us)....so i think were doing ok for the short amount of time weve been here....we carry alot of europeon traditions with us still

Well yeah thats what I meant to say, we havent been around that long lol. Thats what just amazes me about countries like czech
    , japan, italy, rome, england, scotland. You can see castles, monuments, cathedrals, palaces, we dont have any of that over here lol. It puts things in perspective seeing a skyrise then traveling a few miles to see a 500 year old castle. Here in the US they just tear down old buildings and put a strip mall or something lol.

its cool you mentioned the palace guards

what im saying though, although we have tradition, i dont think they are looked upon the same. i mean a palace guard for example, in a culture a 500 years ago would be treated very highly, people would tell storys about them, there would be miths about their strength, people would pray for them to protect them etc etc etc. there just not that whole belief, that whole cicle of mystery, belief and wonder about it all

Well yeah thats what I meant to say, we havent been around that long lol. Thats what just amazes me about countries like czech
    , japan, italy, rome, england, scotland. You can see castles, monuments, cathedrals, palaces, we dont have any of that over here lol. It puts things in perspective seeing a skyrise then traveling a few miles to see a 500 year old castle. Here in the US they just tear down old buildings and put a strip mall or something lol.
    yea going on from what youve said.. like castles, the whole beliefs then.. the knights... i mean how cool would it be to be a knight?

yea going on from what youve said.. like castles, the whole beliefs then.. the knights... i mean how cool would it be to be a knight?
    Knight, Samurai, all of those bro. Honor, valor, dignity, and respect. Man i want a fuking time machine.

Knight, Samurai, all of those bro. Honor, valor, dignity, and respect. Man i want a fuking time machine.
    Would be very cool wouldnt it.

Just the fact they they pledge their lives, live for the life they have chosen. Yes i spose certain positions in todays culture demand that type of respect, but they are rarely found, now i think of it though i cant think of any role that demands the amount of respect, and demands such dedications and belief as a samurai or an ancient warrior

Would be very cool wouldnt it.

Just the fact they they pledge their lives, live for the life they have chosen. Yes i spose certain positions in todays culture demand that type of respect, but they are rarely found, now i think of it though i cant think of any role that demands the amount of respect, and demands such dedications and belief as a samurai or an ancient warrior
    Things werent as corrupt as they once were....

yeah there used to be more tradition....i think with education alot eroded away....you know like religion....we don't still believe the way we did 500 years ago because we have science to prove otherwise....but yeah there was more back in the day.....look at the pyrimads.....would you build that and sacrifice all those lives for a tomb for your king?

yeah there used to be more tradition....i think with education alot eroded away....you know like religion....we don't still believe the way we did 500 years ago because we have science to prove otherwise....but yeah there was more back in the day.....look at the pyrimads.....would you build that and sacrifice all those lives for a tomb for your king?
    exactly thats exactly the reason why culture has changed, religion. most culture has evolved from religious beliefs that dictate a certain way to live...

... we have moved on, learned more, disproved more etc etc. it just captures my mind how an entire country over 2 generations help to build a massive structure for one king/queen to be buried in... i think thats so amazing, so.. well i dont know how to describe. the people believed so strongly..

beliefs are so powerful... even today we cannot duplicate the skills that the masters of them ages held

AandF6969 is offline Made Up Of Wires
    i mean how cool would it be to be a knight?
    man i bet you would get tons of fukkin poon-tang

man i bet you would get tons of fukkin poon-tang
    EXACTLY!

"Hi"

"hello sir"

"yes why you can call me Knight Messy"

"ooooooh yes mr Knight Messy"

"got plans for tonight?"

"well i was gonna feed the pigs"

"how about you scrub up and come to my castle"

"that would be great, gimme 2 mins"

"no problem take your time"

Gorgoroth_ is offline Associate Member

You following me so far?

You're only looking at certain aspects of History - you have to look at it as a whole...

Man is an animal today - he was an animal yesterday as well ... In Rome , Greece , Turkey , Japan and various middle eastern cultures a man could have a romance with a young male child . Would you be " ok " letting your son into a relationship with a pedophile ? Infact homosexuality was so prevelent in these countries there wasn't a word for it - it was accepted , no difference between homosexual sex and hetrosexual sex in man's early mindset.

Certain places in the middle east male rape was an accepted part of life. How " romantic " is that ?

In Japan , If a woman commited a dishonorable act ( a pretty bad one.. ) she could be except to be gang raped and beaten to death. This was called " Bukkake " , basically all the men from her village would beat her , strip her , pull a train on her then kill her. More often than not she'd be beaten as she was being raped. Real honorable.

Also , you , being a commoner - you have no rights. Say samurai billy bob comes up to you with his new sword , you're just a farmer ... no one of importance... who the hell is going to care if he commands you to bow to him and he hacks off your head ? Your wife ? You think anyone is going to listen ?

Then you have diseases... yea , I think its fairly safe to say a lot of people on this board would die if they went back in time. Today we have medicine , we have vaccines and we've just about erraticated several forms of diseases or we have cures for them...

An american going back in time would be exposed to diseases he's never faced before - like small poxs. Chances are you'd die . Oh , another thing... Knights started training at age 7 , samurai I would imagin started there training at a similar age - You would probably get housed by one of these " medival " bad asses unless you're just naturally gifted and possesse some skill or if you've trained like them... ( of course.. you could bring back some weapons like guns and grenades with you and make the masses worship you as a god ... )

A gladitor from Rome would probably rape any man in Ufc , pride , or anyone in the heavy weight boxing divisions today....

There is no such thing as a Utopia - Man is a beast , Man is an animal and in the end all he does is for himself no matter how selfless his acts may seem at first .

( Btw... the samurai were good warriors ... but the Hwa Rang warriors of Korea beat them without using weapons... Also , the samurai would have been wantonly slaughtered by Rome Samurai prefered to fight one on one and made little use of formations and tactics like the Greeks , Romans , and Egyptains did )

Quote Originally Posted by Gorgoroth_
    You're only looking at certain aspects of History - you have to look at it as a whole...

Man is an animal today - he was an animal yesterday as well ... In Rome , Greece , Turkey , Japan and various middle eastern cultures a man could have a romance with a young male child . Would you be " ok " letting your son into a relationship with a pedophile ? Infact homosexuality was so prevelent in these countries there wasn't a word for it - it was accepted , no difference between homosexual sex and hetrosexual sex in man's early mindset.

Certain places in the middle east male rape was an accepted part of life. How " romantic " is that ?

In Japan , If a woman commited a dishonorable act ( a pretty bad one.. ) she could be except to be gang raped and beaten to death. This was called " Bukkake " , basically all the men from her village would beat her , strip her , pull a train on her then kill her. More often than not she'd be beaten as she was being raped. Real honorable.

Also , you , being a commoner - you have no rights. Say samurai billy bob comes up to you with his new sword , you're just a farmer ... no one of importance... who the hell is going to care if he commands you to bow to him and he hacks off your head ? Your wife ? You think anyone is going to listen ?

Then you have diseases... yea , I think its fairly safe to say a lot of people on this board would die if they went back in time. Today we have medicine , we have vaccines and we've just about erraticated several forms of diseases or we have cures for them...

An american going back in time would be exposed to diseases he's never faced before - like small poxs. Chances are you'd die . Oh , another thing... Knights started training at age 7 , samurai I would imagin started there training at a similar age - You would probably get housed by one of these " medival " bad asses unless you're just naturally gifted and possesse some skill or if you've trained like them... ( of course.. you could bring back some weapons like guns and grenades with you and make the masses worship you as a god ... )

A gladitor from Rome would probably rape any man in Ufc , pride , or anyone in the heavy weight boxing divisions today....

There is no such thing as a Utopia - Man is a beast , Man is an animal and in the end all he does is for himself no matter how selfless his acts may seem at first .

( Btw... the samurai were good warriors ... but the Hwa Rang warriors of Korea beat them without using weapons... Also , the samurai would have been wantonly slaughtered by Rome Samurai prefered to fight one on one and made little use of formations and tactics like the Greeks , Romans , and Egyptains did )
    Great reply bro! Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I think theres one thing though, as you go on to say about commoners etc, back then there was a respect, there was an understand a "code" if you will between people, a samarai wouldnt go upto a guy and say lets see how sharp my new sexy red handled sword is...

... hear what your saying about the rapes etc, its true we've moved along, for the good i hope but theres aspects that you cannot deny are very enticing

Commando_Barbi is offline AR's Arresting Angel Vet
    Interesting thread Messy
    1. Once a cheat always a cheat!
    2. YES, SHE can get pregnant the first time!
    3. NO, PULLING out IS NOT a RELIABLE method of Birth Control. DAMMMMIT..... Wrap that shyte UP!!

Women over 30 are dignified. They seldom have a screaming match with you at the opera or in the middle of an expensive restaurant. Of course, if you deserve it, they won't hesitate to shoot you, if they think they can get away with it.

For all those men who say, "Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free". Here's an update for you. Nowadays 80% of women are against marriage, why? Because women realize it's not worth buying an entire Pig, just to get a little sausage.

What the mind can conceive....the body will achieve!

GORILA-UNIT is offline Member

word

Quote Originally Posted by Commando_Barbi
    Interesting thread Messy
    Attempting to get a discussion on here that sparks a few imaginations

Quote Originally Posted by Gorgoroth_

Little use of strategy and tactics?!?!

"Book of Five Rings", written by Miyamoto Musashi, a noted samurai (1645), contained many similarities to Sun Tzu's teachings.
    The book has been translated into different languages such as, English, Japanese, German, French and Russian, which is highly valued in different countries especially as a reference book for various military academies around the globe.
    Nowadays, the theories of the book are also widely employed in business approach, organization strategy and developing management skills.

Remember the Samurai existed during feudal Japan, fighting against other Clans and so forth. Samurai did use tactics and strategy...

decadbal is offline Banned
    phucktard

Pale Horse is offline F.I.L.F.
    Maraxus still plays with G.I. Joe figurines. This thread is pushing him deeper into his fantasy world.

decadbal is offline Banned
    society was great back then, u could beat rape or hurt women, without recourse.. kill children, refuse to raise them and it was socially acceptable..

Pale Horse is offline F.I.L.F.
    ahhhh the days when a man could be a man.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information