Question for DecaDbol.. about being a ranger

Hey bud, saw a couple of threads about you being a ranger, I have been thinking of joining, and trying to become a ranger. I have always looked up to people who have the balls, and care enough about this country to join up (this includes all MOS') but especially Rangers, and other advanced groups like this.
    I was just curious if you have any tips or things I should think about before making this big commitment.

Thanks
    Alex

decadbal is offline Banned
    there are alot of sights now about the training and so on, just be in shape and dont quit, thats pretty much it, most of the crap you do to become one isnt easy, but it wont kill you, ppl just get lazy of start self pity and give up. if u dont do that your fine. good luck..run alot..

What would you say I would need to be able to do before entering basic? As far as how many miles in how many minutes, how many pushups in 2 mins, how many situps, and anything else you could clue me in on, just to make it easier. I am sure this will be one of the hardest things I will ever do, but I feel that it is something that has to be done. And not everyone has the heart to do it, I just want to know that I do!

Thanks
    Alex

Quote Originally Posted by Decadbal
    there are alot of sights now about the training and so on..
    Do you know any of the URL's?

Also is there anything I should try to get in my contract specifically?
    Alex

Maraxus is offline Banned

well infantry training, dependin on your age youl need to be able to run 2miles under around 14min, do more than50 or 60 pushups in two min and over 50 situps in 2 min. dont sound so bad but if your out of shape alot of ppl cant.. alot of ppl cant do situps for 2min straight. alot of bros here can. well after u grad infantry training, youll go to airborne school, which is beyond easy, its 3weeks long, then RIP, ranger indoctrine program, which is 3 weeks long and beats your ass for that long, seeing if you will quit and testing your committment to joining. if u grad RIP then you get sent to a ranger batt, where the real fun begins, despite what seals say, rangers train the most, and deploy the most, so youll be spending alot time learning or policing. its good stuff, u get the ebst training, use the best equipment and become part of something that ppl respect and adversaries fear. its a great thing.

just a recruiter, when u go sign up, ask for a ranger contract and dont sign up if thats what u want, bc they sometimes say you cant have one and you can get one later... chances are slim..so get a guarntee.

wildcatslady is offline Female Member
    Recognizing that I volunteered as a Ranger, fully knowing the hazards of my chosen profession, I will always endeavor to uphold the prestige, honor, and high esprit de corps of the Rangers.

Acknowledging the fact that a Ranger is a more elite soldier who arrives at the cutting edge of battle by land, sea, or air, I accept the fact that as a Ranger my country expects me to move further, faster, and fight harder than any other soldier.

Never shall I fail my comrades. I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong, and morally straight and I will shoulder more than my share of the task whatever it may be, one hundred percent and then some.

Gallantly will I show the world that I am a specially selected and well trained soldier. My courtesy to superior officers, neatness of dress, and care of equipment shall set the example for others to follow.

Energetically will I meet the enemies of my country. I shall defeat them on the field of battle for I am better trained and will fight with all my might. Surrender is not a Ranger word. I will never leave a fallen comrade to fall into the hands of the enemy and under no circumstances will I ever embarrass my country.

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight on to the Ranger objective and complete the mission, though I be the lone survivor.

The Ranger Creed.

There are lots of great websites on line to find out all sorts of info, the best one used to be armyranger.com but its not working anymore that I can tell, when I tried to go there it said the site had been defaced, what that means I dont know.
    Rangers are some of the coolest guys I have ever met.

Quote Originally Posted by Decadbal
    just a recruiter, when u go sign up, ask for a ranger contract and dont sign up if thats what u want, bc they sometimes say you cant have one and you can get one later... chances are slim..so get a guarntee.
    Yeah I have been talking to a recruiter here lately, at first I coudlnt decide between rangers or SF. But I have a DUI on my record, as of last year, and the recruiter said that it might be hard (not impossible) to get the security clearance that is part of the SF recuirments or something. I watched the 2 videos they had on his laptop, about the differences between rangers and SF, and at first I wanted to go SF, because of the language training and whatnot, but the rabger training looked a lot more hardcore physically.

What is the length of the training for rangers, I know SF was close to 2 years, but wasn't sure about Rangers (from basic to when you get assigned somewhere)

Peace
    Alex

PS: I will try to find some good websites, and keep the tips and info coming if anyone has anything else they would like to add.

dependin on how long your a holdover...youll learnwhat that is when u get in. prlly 7 months after i started i was at a batt.. then about a year at a batt and you go to RTB

Mind telling me what RTB is?

So the "holdover" is a secret? =)
    Alex

wildcatslady is offline Female Member
    isnt RTB= ranger training battalion...I cant remember

Slick Arrado is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ArkansasAlex
    Yeah I have been talking to a recruiter here lately, at first I coudlnt decide between rangers or SF.
    DecaD, can he get a guarantee for SF upfront? I thought you had to put in some time first. :spudniklu

Quote Originally Posted by Slick Arrado
    DecaD, can he get a guarantee for SF upfront? I thought you had to put in some time first. :spudniklu
    They have a program now where you can go in as a SF MOS. But if you fail or drop out you just go back to Infantry (well you would be airborn infantry). You would do basic, and everything with all people who are trying to be SF. I think it might be a new thing, trying to get those people who want that, and dont want to take a chance of never getting into SF school.

Peace
    Alex

Also, Is everyone that is a Ranger, the same or is there different divisions, like engineers, medics and so forth, Like SF?

Peace
    Alex

a holdover is somone waitin for orders or slots to open, so you may grad basic and be a hold over for 2 weeks, then airborne and a holdover for 3 weeks waitin for a RIP class tofinish.. RTB is ranger training brigade. or ranger school. they have a new program to go SF, u start out like infantry then u go to start SFAS and so on, it takes a good 2 years to become SF. ranger batts have medics and so on, just no field artillery, mortars are it, and we get all fire support from helos, and mortars. alot of the best green berets were in ranger batts, they will take our apps for SFAS first, bc they know we are in shape, disiplined and overall usually better soldiers than normal infantry units.. good luck

yea u can get SF and Ranger contract, if you drop you wont ever get a slot again, same with airborne school, if you drop u dont ever get another chance in. if your hurt they will let u heal and roll u thru another class.

Thread Information