max2extreme is offline Anabolic Member

earthquake and a Leap Second!!

The earthquake caused the earth to speed up 3 micro seconds... so just like leap year, we'll now have leap second. Crazy.

Prime is offline Naturally perfect
    Quote Originally Posted by max2extreme
    The earthquake caused the earth to speed up 3 micro seconds... so just like leap year, we'll now have leap second. Crazy.
    also shifted the earth an inch on its axis

Elysium is offline Productive Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Prime
    also shifted the earth an inch on its axis
    Really? Wow thats pretty amazing, could this type of thing have effects on the rest of the world? As you know everything works like a time piece, all the cogs work together, if something shifts in the earth somewhere else will feel it

Matrix78 is offline Associate Member
    really? where did you guys get that info, i want to read about that stuff....CA is going to be next they're just waiting for the 9.0 to hit

Prime is offline Naturally perfect
    Quote Originally Posted by MESSY_UK
    Really? Wow thats pretty amazing, could this type of thing have effects on the rest of the world? As you know everything works like a time piece, all the cogs work together, if something shifts in the earth somewhere else will feel it
    i dunno, i heard this on the news. i expect it will have some implications
    telescopes etc may have to be recalibrated. as one famous dude said, "for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction"

Elysium is offline Productive Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Prime
    i dunno, i heard this on the news. i expect it will have some implications
    telescopes etc may have to be recalibrated. as one famous dude said, "for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction"
    great quote. yea i think there will have to be alot of recalibrating etc, an inch when your zooming millions of miles into space makes one hell of a difference

Yea, ive read everywhere it tilted the axis a little. and not sure what your knowledge is but the earth actually already wobbles about 30ft...it cause a little more wobble'age too. BUT i havnt heard of any implications because of.

Another interresting fact, this at least in sri lanka...NO animals have been found dead! NONE! They really do have a '6th sense'. They must have felt something, and headed out of town.

You heard also that some WHOLE ISLANDS were moved up to 30m! can you imagine, a WHOLE ISLAND! ALSO, what news of diego garcia! If you dont know, its a tiny island in the middle of the Indian Ocean, 20m above sea level, used mainly, if not entirly for military and nasa. They report no damage, but there has to be significant! If you see how small it is, you'll see why. If you hear any reliable sources about it, please let me know. Just for my own knowledge really.

Here's something I found on it...

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - The deadly Asian earthquake may have permanently accelerated the Earth's rotation -- shortening days by a fraction of a second -- and caused the planet to wobble on its axis, U.S. scientists said on Tuesday.
    Richard Gross, a geophysicist with NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in California, theorized that a shift of mass toward the Earth's center during the quake on Sunday caused the planet to spin 3 microseconds, or 3 millionths of a second, faster and to tilt about an inch on its axis.

When one huge tectonic plate beneath the Indian Ocean was forced below the edge of another "it had the effect of making the Earth more compact and spinning faster," Gross said.

Gross said changes predicted by his model probably are too minuscule to be detected by a global positioning satellite network that routinely measures changes in Earth's spin, but said the data may reveal a slight wobble.

The Earth's poles travel a circular path that normally varies by about 33 feet, so an added wobble of an inch is unlikely to cause long-term effects, he said.

"That continual motion is just used to changing," Gross said. "The rotation is not actually that precise. The Earth does slow down and change its rate of rotation."

When those tiny variations accumulate, planetary scientists must add a "leap second" to the end of a year, something that has not been done in many years, Gross said.

Scientists have long theorized that changes on the Earth's surface such as tide and groundwater shifts and weather could affect its spin but they have not had precise measurements to prove it, Caltech seismologist Hiroo Kanamori said.

"Even for a very large event, the effect is very small," Kanamori said. "It's very difficult to change the rotation rate substantially."

decadbal is offline Banned
    racial profiling... instead of earthquake, they are callin it an "asian" earthquake

workdude is offline Senior Member
    Very Interesting....

Thread Information