Full Intensity is offline Anabolic Member

blue screen of death.

my IBM laptop is fuct. it wont boot. i screwed it even more now. lemme fill u in. at first it would try to load and i'd get the blue screen. the computer would do a physical dump and reboot. i tried to boot in safe more and then the computer would hang/stall right after mup.sys and then reboot. so i tried booting off a win xp cd but it wont work b/c my school locked the bios. (i bought the computer back so its mine now) so i removed the battery from the mother board to reset the bios. **** it didn't work. i can view the bios now but make no changes. so i cannot select it to boot of cd. for some reason it will boot of win 98 though. so i did that and tried to boot winxp from dos. no luck. no when i try to start windows normally is get

windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
    \windows\system32\config\system

You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup using the original Setup CD-Rom
    Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair.

**** it doesn't work. 'r' doensn't ****ing work. and i could fix all this with a boot disk but my ****ing IBM only has a CD drive. wtf. any ideas

BASK8KACE is offline Anabolic Member
    2 questions:
    Are you surfing the net on your laptop?
    If so, are you using a firewall and virus protector?

Getting on the net without these protections will cause your computer to malfunction constantly.

I'd format your hard drive and start over and install a firewall and virus protection.

Quote Originally Posted by BASK8KACE
    2 questions:
    Are you surfing the net on your laptop?
    If so, are you using a firewall and virus protector?

Getting on the net without these protections will cause your computer to malfunction constantly.

I'd format your hard drive and start over and install a firewall and virus protection.
    all my computers are behind a firewall. all are working fine. i have 4 computers all networked here running off the same router. only my ibm(laptop) is fuct. just happened out of the blue. i need the data on there. i can't format. **** i can't even get it to boot off anything so i could format.

i don't understand how the bios password was not reset when i removed the battery?

Quote Originally Posted by Full Intensity
    all my computers are behind a firewall. all are working fine. i have 4 computers all networked here running off the same router. only my ibm(laptop) is fuct. just happened out of the blue. i need the data on there. i can't format. **** i can't even get it to boot off anything so i could format.
    You only wrote the path of the file. Do you have the actual file name with extension that you're missing? If it's a common system file, perhaps you can just have someone who has a similar Operating System send it to you.

I had to ususe someone elses system32.dll (sp?) file once. I swapped the corrupt one with the new one and everything worked.

correction:

Woud you write out the full file path AND the file with extension?

i typed word for word what the screen says ...
    \Windows\System32\Config\System
    thats all it gives me. I got a copy of Xp from a buddy but i can't get the comp to boot of cd nor can i get a dos promt so i could swap files (ie a sys.32 file etc)

im gonna give this piece of s h i t laptop a kick to the street. if i could access the my documents folder over the network that would be fine but it doesn't even get that far in the boot up. i just need to get my documents off the comp and then i don't care if i formate. which i can't do either till i can get in the bios. ****.

You said it will boot off the win 98 disk, right? So use this to get to the DOS C: prompt and drill down to the file that's corrupt.

Dont delete the old file. Just rename it Windows\System32\Config\SystemOLD so you can access it later if necessary. Then, replace it with the new file.

OR.

Get to the prompt DOS C: propmpt, drill down to rescue your documents, then just reformat your disk (if you don't have stuff on the computer that you need) using the command "format c:".

i can't get it to boot of win 98 anymore. ever since i took the battery out i lost a lil boot menu that would come up if i hit F9 so i need to get into the bios but its locked i only pulled the battery out for 5 mins. should i take it out for longer?

max2extreme is offline Anabolic Member
    Download knoppix STD on another computer...Save it to CD. It will make a bootable cd. its linux. do you know linux? This is the security tools distribution. If you do this, and it boots, I can probably help you.

-max

Take the hard drive out of the computer, put the computer on the floor, open a near by window, kick the computer out the window, and take the hard drive to a computer store and ask them to recover the files.

Elysium is offline Productive Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Full Intensity
    my IBM laptop is fuct. it wont boot. i screwed it even more now. lemme fill u in. at first it would try to load and i'd get the blue screen. the computer would do a physical dump and reboot. i tried to boot in safe more and then the computer would hang/stall right after mup.sys and then reboot. so i tried booting off a win xp cd but it wont work b/c my school locked the bios. (i bought the computer back so its mine now) so i removed the battery from the mother board to reset the bios. **** it didn't work. i can view the bios now but make no changes. so i cannot select it to boot of cd. for some reason it will boot of win 98 though. so i did that and tried to boot winxp from dos. no luck. no when i try to start windows normally is get

windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
    \windows\system32\config\system

You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup using the original Setup CD-Rom
    Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair.

**** it doesn't work. 'r' doensn't ****ing work. and i could fix all this with a boot disk but my ****ing IBM only has a CD drive. wtf. any ideas
    Hey bro... lets start at the beginning.

Removing the battery will reset the CMOS not the BIOS. The only way to reset the bios "manually" is to change the jumper settings on the board, this will overide what ever locks are on the bios, and reset it to the original settings.

Imagine what a MAJOR security flaw it would be if all you had to do it take out the battery to get into the bios...?

On another note, try booting the laptop WITHOUT the battery in. See what happens, this has helped me yield results in the past.

Theres one other thing you could do, which will fix your problem. - You can geta drive caddy, take out the drive from the laptop and plug it into your PC, these caddys cost a matter of bucks, so they arent expensive. Locate what file you need to replace, then replace it.

k i'm gonna pull the battery out again in the morning and boot it without the bat. secondly i'll download that cd as mentioned above. and lastly if that fails im buying a drive caddy.

Psychotron is offline Anabolic Member
    If you can boot win98, that meens you can boot a win98 startup disk. Format the drive with the win98 while in A:\ format c:

you might have to fdisk it though, cause you could havce a NTFS partition.

after youve got it formatted, instal win98. then when its installed, toss that winxp cd in and upgrade.

Sicilian30 is offline Respected Member
    Full ole buddy.. you always having computer problems and where was the ole Sicilian when you needed him huh? Well bro, I am not sure if you got your problem fixed, yet, but your problem almost seems like a memory or hard drive problem. I would focus on memory first. Only one way for me to be sure, and that would require you to give me the exact blue screen error you are getting. In other words if it is XP, it should give you a "stop error" of some kind. If you can give that to me, I can research it for ya to find where the problem really is. resetting the bios password, can be tricky on a laptop. removing the battery usually will not do it, because most laptop bios passwords are stored in a ROM chip. My laptop has a passcard in which is stores my password for security reasons. Think about it Laptops are so mobile and portable, they are making them more and more secure. If you know the name brand of the laptop, you can see about contacting the manufacturer to see if there is a way to reset it. PM me bro if you need some help!

Thread Information