tomp is offline Junior Member

Tell me why secure online email works?

I can't figure out why people have these secure email accounts and publicize their addresses? Don't they know that all incoming mail is not encrypted and out is only encrypted when they select the option. Even then, the other party needs the password to open it. How would they then get the password?

Also, your IP address is linked directly to the email account and all of your online activity.

The recent bust of the lady whom cut open that lady and stole here baby is what made me think of this stuff. This is how she was caught.

All they would then have to do is seize your PC. All of your previously deleted files, oonline history etc. are still recoverable rather you know it or not!

If someone has a fool proof method of communicating securely, please share.

Scooby1 is offline Member
    good question keep me upated.

KeyMastur is offline VET
    most sources will only accept emails from other secure email accounts. once it's sent, the message is encrpyted. yes it's true that's it can still be decoded, but not by a novice user.

most of the secure email systems use encrypted email based on the Hush encryption system. the keys are the same - cyber rights can decode elite, vice versa, along with hushmail or whatever other email addy's use that system.

james21 is offline Anabolic Member
    Because everyone is assigned their own UNIQUE encryption key. Thats why it works.

If both parties are using something like hushmail then it is secure... And if a PC is seized then obviously that makes it useless, however hushmail dosent use cookies for passwords so if the LE dosent know your password and you dont give it up then it is still locked. However hushmail could change the password if they wanted to let the LE in.

james21 is offline Anabolic Member
    Ohh and hushmail dosent attach your IP to any of the emails.

bigswolej is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by james21
    Ohh and hushmail dosent attach your IP to any of the emails.

good call that and its encrypted.

justin984 is offline Junior Member
    [Removed]
    Last edited by justin984; 06-16-2011 at 10:32 PM.

KINGKONG is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by justin984
    nah, encrypted email is almost always some form of pgp system. You have to send your public key to the person who wants to email you. They then use your public key to encrypt their email and send it to you. Then you use your private key to unencrypt it. The private key can encrypt and decrypt. Public key can only encrypt. If the person who you are emailing already has a verified public key, then whatever program you're using will usually be able to find it automatically without having the user first send it. pgp is almost ALWAYS 128bit encrypted and up which means it would take a billion 100% efficient computers, over a billion years to decrypt it and modern computers are very VERY far from 100% efficient. Its just plain impossible which is why congress is trying to pass laws to ban encryption schemes above a certain bit level.
    good info

nobbythedonkey is offline Associate Member
    i have only red the first email so ill put my techy nerd bit.

its all PGP encrypted, apparently PGP is unbreakable as its completely configuration each time.

Stout1 is offline Banned
    Originally posted by 3VANDOO @ WCB

How your email is really safe!

There is a false security sentiment that goes around the board’s community, and this is the feeling that we must use secured emails such as: hushmail, ziplip, s-mail, securemail etc...

It is now even common that many boards require that their member utilise a secured email, also the promotion of secured emails with PGP is greatly promoted.

So do you think your email is safe?

We all know that with some emails you need a key, a pgp key for encryption, or send the email between the two same emails provider.

Well I have news

The Yahoo, or hotmail are as safe as hushmail or cyber-rights.

Why?

Most of us, use these types of emails to protect from the authorities, well you guys do, not me as I am a canuck. But, you are afraid that they can intercept your email and know what you are dealing with, right?

Well bad news folks!

All of your encrypted emails even if it goes to the 128bits are easily decrypted by the authorities such as federal agencies, FBI, ATF, DEA, Custom etc.

But the biggest fun is with the “Echelon” program where the United States, United Kingdom, Canada, New Zealand, and Australia joined common effort to intercept all communications such as TV, Radio, internet(email, chat, board, messenger), phones, cell, satellite communications, GPS locations you name it, every device with the possibilities of communication is monitored even your XBOX!

How it works, well, first these agencies are usually the NSA, CSE(Canadian Version of NSA), MI5 .. They sponsor all monitoring on “foreign” power and residents. Yeah right..

Ok, let’s see.

All communication let’s say leaving the US are monitored and RECORDED in big big computers at Fort Meade Maryland(home of the No Such Agency AKA NSA)

So if you talking on MSN messenger and you sending a message to a buddy saying “Dude, ever tried that brand?” well the echelon has it recorded, even if you use an encryption for MSN.
    On the phone with your wife as you are in another city having phone sex with her “Hey baby, I am ….”. Well too bad, you were recorded.

Text messaging a friend saying “Hey wanna smoke weed tonight dude”. It is also recorded.

NAME IT, it’s out there.

And no it’s no propaganda or conspiracy theory on Art Bell, it is true.

No never wondered why some of the BIG CHINESE sources never use encrypted emails (except one I know, that do business outside of the Chinese territory) Why?
    Because all emails outbound and inbound are monitored by the Chinese government.
    Yes, do see if there no counter-revolutionary materials going on, that’s one example!

So the Chinese government knows if you ordered Jin’s kits or one gram of test in powder.

You are sceptic? Go to Hong-Kong and see how long the custom will precede you after you showed them your passport!

Now let's go back to the Western World. Okay, everything is monitored and recorded, but this doesn’t mean it will be use against you.

The echelon program will only give the info to: Head of State for national security and economy. Terrorism(If they want to), threat to national security, international blackmail(toward diplomats) or for their own personal use.

Rarely will they share the information gathered to the FBI, RCMP or Local cops, but these agencies have no problems looking at your email. Some will say “Hey they need a warrant” Yes they do, you think they get the warrant first. Oh no, they will look, if they find something they will come with the warrant after.

As for the agencies with echelon! Need a warrant! HAHAHAHAHA BOUAHAHAHAHAA!!! They don’t obey to the same laws as cops, actually they have no ****ing law to obey to. Except, the one they cannot spy on national citizen.

So if the NSA wants to spy on Basskiller as example by law they cannot do so, but they will ask the Canadian to do it. And, that is legal.

Will the information gathered by these spooks used against me?

Probably no, but there are exemptions, if you do international business, want to run for a political office, or have a high security clearance into a government agencies then this might be used against you as everyone have a file in these super computer.

Let’s see how it works:
    (fictional name of course)
    File name: Gear Got (122345) Born 1875/02/29
    - steroid : 1254 mentions
    - Bomb 2 mentions
    - Fraud 1 mention
    - Bin Laden 58 mentions
    - Love to fry cat 12 mentions

Most of the time, they will not look at these file, except on the above mentioned earlier.

But the monitoring works also as well as intercepting words live!

So if a person says “ Let’s blow Bush that infidel bastard, let’s blow him with the nuclear device at the WTO meeting in NY, Allah Arbkar!” You bet this will be monitored right on by spooks and investigated.

Same think if you email a friend and write these nice words:
    - bomb
    - jihad
    - war
    - Mujahideen
    - Shahid
    - cocaine
    - Bush
    - president
    - congress

you get the point!

So the moral of that story is easy.

You having a false sense of security, when dealing on all form of communication, do it wisely and smart as you are not safe at all, especially not ALONE!

3Vandoo
    Last edited by Stout1; 12-25-2004 at 07:55 AM.

weightshead is offline Associate Member
    Suposedly Hush uses PGP to encrypt messages.

PGP uses both public key encryption (PKE) and symmetric encryption when ciphering an email/document/etc.

Public Key Encryption:
    (normally) El Gamel Cipher - key size 256bit+

Symmetric Key Encryption:
    (normally) CAST5 Cipher - key size 128bit

the symmetric key is passed to the intended recipient securelyy using the public key encryption process.

this means that for every message there is a unique CAST5 key used to encrypt the communications.

Not only is CAST5 cryptographically secure (as a well implemented block cipher) this also means that any potential eavesdropper has access only to one ciphertext which uses that key and thus can not begin to draw statistical similarities from having access to many messages encrypted with the same key.

So cryptographically its as secure as your going to get, orgisations like the NSA/GCHQ/Echelon dont have the power to break El Gamel - it is technically infeasible
    and they will not have this power until the age of quantum computing.

A symmetric block cipher of 128bit is secure at the current time, and probably will be for 20 years...

Now it becomes a case of whether you trust hushmail, all i can say is the creator of PGP has ties with hushmail - which is a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by weightshead
    Suposedly Hush uses PGP to encrypt messages.

PGP uses both public key encryption (PKE) and symmetric encryption when ciphering an email/document/etc.

Public Key Encryption:
    (normally) El Gamel Cipher - key size 256bit+

Symmetric Key Encryption:
    (normally) CAST5 Cipher - key size 128bit

the symmetric key is passed to the intended recipient securelyy using the public key encryption process.

this means that for every message there is a unique CAST5 key used to encrypt the communications.

Not only is CAST5 cryptographically secure (as a well implemented block cipher) this also means that any potential eavesdropper has access only to one ciphertext which uses that key and thus can not begin to draw statistical similarities from having access to many messages encrypted with the same key.

So cryptographically its as secure as your going to get, orgisations like the NSA/GCHQ/Echelon dont have the power to break El Gamel - it is technically infeasible
    and they will not have this power until the age of quantum computing.

A symmetric block cipher of 128bit is secure at the current time, and probably will be for 20 years...

Now it becomes a case of whether you trust hushmail, all i can say is the creator of PGP has ties with hushmail - which is a good thing.
    so bottom line can PPL, cops read are Hushmail...I just read two conflicting
    things on i...

odrorir is offline Associate Member
    As long as both parties are using secure email, yes it is safe.

The article above is nothing but paranoia with no references at all. 64bit encryption was broken before, but not this was one key group, by using thousands of computers (distributed) for a years time. 128bit is safe for the time being.

To think there is a database of all electronic communications is hard to phathom. The sheer size of such a undertaking would be both technically and monetarily unachievable in my mind. Now if they have reason to monitor you, you can bet they will.

Quote Originally Posted by K$I$N$G$P$I$N
    things on i...

Elysium is offline Productive Member
    things on i...
    LOL! Bro with that stupid "freedom of information act" your goverment pushed through they can read what the hell they want!

At the end of the day, if the authorities wanna read your emails, look at your mail, monitor what you eat they can.

Simple

Quote Originally Posted by MESSY_UK
    LOL! Bro with that stupid "freedom of information act" your goverment pushed through they can read what the hell they want!

At the end of the day, if the authorities wanna read your emails, look at your mail, monitor what you eat they can.

Simple
    even 128 bit encrypted?

even 128 bit encrypted?
    lol bro. do you know what the freedom of information act is? they wouldnt try and hack the server to view your emails. lol. with this act all they have to do is ask the ISP for the details and they will supply them

lol bro. do you know what the freedom of information act is? they wouldnt try and hack the server to view your emails. lol. with this act all they have to do is ask the ISP for the details and they will supply them
    no I must of missed the freedom of information act in my private messages
    box...Yes I know what it is but I didn't know they could do anything they feel
    So no privacy nice...But would they use the act to mess with some juicers
    you would figure they have more important things to do with my money..
    Like terrorist....

no I must of missed the freedom of information act in my private messages
    box...Yes I know what it is but I didn't know they could do anything they feel
    So no privacy nice...But would they use the act to mess with some juicers
    you would figure they have more important things to do with my money..
    Like terrorist....
    LOL Its one of the most controversial acts to EVER of been put through, guess you did miss it then.

I not saying they would use this act to do you for steroid use , im merely stating, that if they want to they can. You have NO privacy. If they want to read your emails they have the law behind them and you dont have a right to stop them. They can come into your home when you are at work and search the place without a warrant, without asking your permission, without even telling you they were there.

LOL Its one of the most controversial acts to EVER of been put through, guess you did miss it then.

I not saying they would use this act to do you for steroid use, im merely stating, that if they want to they can. You have NO privacy. If they want to read your emails they have the law behind them and you dont have a right to stop them. They can come into your home when you are at work and search the place without a warrant, without asking your permission, without even telling you they were there.
    LOL let me guess, your real political....

I hate politics...I don't think there is anything I can do about the big picture...so I don't busy myself worrying...I like to have fun and relax...**** the freedom of whatever act.......

LOL let me guess, your real political....
    Err no.

BigJames is offline Senior Member
    Exactly...the problem is not the encryption or interception of information while it is sent, it is that a lot of info is in one way or another with your ISP and they will cooperate in almost all cases with federal authorities. Telephone conversations are ONLY recorded if the are investigating the user...to record all conversations would be an enormous task...the harddrive storing that much data would be inconceivably large. To make a movie now uses up to 27 Terrabites...to record all the calls made into and out of the US each day!!! That would be beyond our imaginations....

Messy, the US government passed that law without really telling US citizens what it was about...in the UK and Canada we have a better understanding of what it entails. Guys it is scary what that law allows the gov to do...

messy whats up with all the LOL's you think Iam retarded or something?

Quote Originally Posted by BigJames
    Messy, the US government passed that law without really telling US citizens what it was about...in the UK and Canada we have a better understanding of what it entails. Guys it is scary what that law allows the gov to do...
    In the UK we dont have such a law.

he's saying they passed the law without 99% of the US knowing it was happening.....you are probably more well informed in the UK

messy whats up with all the LOL's you think Iam retarded or something?
    LOL!

Im just curious as to how i know more about one of the most talked about controversial acts to have ever been pushed through in your country and i dont even live there.

I understand not everyone listens to this kind of thing though bro, so dont worry about it.

I am saying that it is more talked about in the UK and Canada as they purposefully kept a lot of details from the US Citizens...in Canada we have no such law either...

Like many details of large and important events, it seems that people outside the US seem to know more about it than people inside...just my opinion.

LOL!

Im just curious as to how i know more about one of the most talked about controversial acts to have ever been pushed through in your country and i dont even live there.

I understand not everyone listens to this kind of thing though bro, so dont worry about it.
    no the government, kept it underwraps here....If we all knew what the act was before it was signed,don't you think there would be tremendous public
    outcry...With the whole 9/11 thing going on the american public missed alot...

Quote Originally Posted by BigJames
    I am saying that it is more talked about in the UK and Canada as they purposefully kept a lot of details from the US Citizens...in Canada we have no such law either...

Like many details of large and important events, it seems that people outside the US seem to know more about it than people inside...just my opinion.
    very accurate opinion.....

no the government, kept it underwraps here....If we all knew what the act was before it was signed,don't you think there would be tremendous public
    outcry...With the whole 9/11 thing going on the american public missed alot...
    Actually, with the state of mind that the people had at the time of 9/11 and the way that the bill was presented the people would of agreed with it. In retrospect i think they would of said different but at the time the masses would of pushed it through but yes you are correct when you say it was kept underwraps.

Actually, with the state of mind that the people had at the time of 9/11 and the way that the bill was presented the people would of agreed with it. In retrospect i think they would of said different but at the time the masses would of pushed it through but yes you are correct when you say it was kept underwraps.
    PPL didn't know the negative aspects of the act though after 9/11 they just wanted to hear we were doing something to prevent any further attacks...
    All that was said in the media was positive untill recently...

'people willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both'

Jack87 is offline Retired Vet
    I have to be honest I've only read a few of the better posts in this thread, but
    just to let you all know the truth and not what you'd like to believe the NSA and
    I'm sure top guys in the CIA and FBI can crack 128 bit encryption and have been
    able to for some time... This I know from someone that has been told by a close
    friend... Not to mention Carnivor or the other new program they have out that
    works very closely with Microsoft systems to gain access to your computer...
    This talk about security could go on forever, but I know I'm not a believer in
    any foolproof system of communicating and neither should any of you, just be
    smart and that way you'll stay as safe as possible...

the
    Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act 2000
    ?

Thread Information