BIGB is offline Associate Member

what is the definition

I was just wondering what is the definition of an alcholic? bgecause i drink maybe ounce every 2 weeks hard but then theres my girlfriends parents who drink like 2 bottles a wine a night or my dad who will come home and have 2 or 3 drinks a night just wondering cause i am sitting here right now havin a rye and coke waitin for some buds to pick me up. Thanks for any replies.
    And to you college guys like me how often do you guys go hard saying more than 10 drinks in a night depending on who you are i know some will say thats nothing but you know what i mean.

L8r J.B.

mass junkie is offline banned
    That post is a definition of alcoholic

which part ?

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    I'd have to say an alcoholic is not based upon how MUCH you drink, but the need/feeling to have to have "X" number of drinks daily for any reason. When you can't do w/out a drink or 10 drinks for whatever reason, I believe that's the beginning of what could develop into a more serious issue.

~SC~

Spyder Guest
    the first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem brother ... we're all here for you bigB.

tycin is offline Anabolic Member
    i say if u have to have a drink or a couple everyday b4 supper and/or after its a level of alcoholism,if u cant go a day without drinking (like sc said) id consider it a problem.

BARLOW is offline Senior Member
    my cousin's dad is an alcoholic, carries a milk jug of vodka everywhere he goes with him, drinks and drives constantly, you never see him sober, if you do, he's in a pissy mood, if drunk, hes a comedian, and when sober on work days, hes a cop

BigMike J is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BARLOW
    my cousin's dad is an alcoholic, carries a milk jug of vodka everywhere he goes with him, drinks and drives constantly, you never see him sober, if you do, he's in a pissy mood, if drunk, hes a comedian, and when sober on work days, hes a cop

haha.. that made me laugh.

I would not want to be pulled over by him.. well maybe if he was drunk

Danielle is offline Female Member
    just the point of you coming here and "asking" if you have a problem.........probably means that you do
    Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, THAT IS STRENGTH

BOUNCER is offline Retired Vet
    I'm Irish!. Enough said

Sage is offline Anabolic Member
    if ur cholesterol level is perfect as it can possibly be u r an alcoholic my friend.......... (just a little inside joke i make myself amused)...those who know what's up u get the idea...............

Hot-Rox is offline Senior Member
    Interesting topic....being an alcohlogic has as much to do with "how" alcohol is (negatively) impacting your life as it does with how many drinks you are doing each day. It is difficult to have great workouts and make the progress you desire when you are hungover twice a week. Everything in moderation bro....try taking off 30 to 60 days from drinking and see how much better you feel.

decadbal is offline Banned
    swole is right.. his definition is the closest to the real one.

did i word what i wrote wrong i'm not an alcholic i was askin what the defintion is. Sorry if i put in on the computer thwe wrong way but i drink with my buds maybe every 2 weeks and not everyday and i was havin a drink last night cause i was goin out not cause i needed one.but thanks for all replies

Neo
    Neo is offline Senior Member
    I've actually wondered the same thing. How do you define an alcoholic? I've been concerned for a friend of mine who seems to go out to bars constantly. He's hanging out with a different type of friends and thinks that have a few drinks every time he goes out is no big deal. But it's turning into being every night he seems to go out. It seems like any excuse is good enough to go to a bar. (ie monday night football, wednesday is hump day, thurs day is when the college girls go out yet he talks to none of them, fri, sat, are the weekend, football on sunday yet he doesnt even like to watch sports, etc) Sure he might not be drunk every night, but drinking all the time, to me, constitutes a problem. Even if you justify it by calling it "social drinking."

And another big indication of a problem is when you get to know all the bartenders at each bar by first name and when they work. That's f---ed up....

JoeCoffee is offline New Member
    Drink, smoke whatever just have a few cups of coffee in the morning.

Your an alocoholic when you say you are.
    Generally when once you start drinking you have no control over when you are going to stop.
    Like f*ing a 500lb gorilla, your not done till the gorilla is done.

Peace

IronFreakX is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeCoffee
    Drink, smoke whatever just have a few cups of coffee in the morning.
    u know nothing bout alcohol and drugs and thats a good thing btw

Bigen12 is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Here’s something I found.

http://alcoholism.about.com/library/howto/htproblem.htm

Here's How:
    1. Drink two drinks, and only two, of your favorite alcoholic beverage.
    2. Repeat this process, drinking only two drinks a day, for an entire month.
    3. Do not "save up" by skipping two drinks one day and having four the next.

Tips:
    1. If you can honestly drink two and only two drinks a day for a month, chances are you do not have a drinking problem.
    2. If you find that you cannot keep up the regime, and drink more than two, you may be an alcoholic or be alcohol dependent.
    And

http://www.ade.tcu.edu/how_can_you_t...meone_is_a.htm
    Alcoholism is marked by dependence on alcohol and loss of control over one's drinking. This loss of control may develop almost imperceptibly over a long period, or it may manifest itself almost from the start of a person's drinking. When a person continues to drink despite the fact that it causes serious psychological, physical, or social problems, alcoholism is developing or is already present.
    The stereotype of an alcoholic as a skid row inhabitant is incorrect; only about 3 to 5% of alcoholic Americans are in that category. Actually, alcoholic people represent a cross-section of America, embracing rich and poor, young and old, white-collar workers and blue-collar workers. Most alcoholics are employed and most have families--much like their neighbors and fellow citizens.
    Seldom can you spot alcoholics by their appearance. However, for those close to a person who seems to be more and more dependent on alcohol in order to function, there are indicators that his or her drinking may be reaching the danger point. For example: there is the immediate reaction to pour a drink when faced with any problem; getting drunk has become a regular occurrence; there is a record of missing work because of drinking or regular attendance at work with an ill-disguised odor of liquor on the breath; the person's license has been suspended for driving while intoxicated; the person has gotten into trouble with authorities for no "logical" reason; the person has been involved in several unexplainable accidents without evidence of physical impairment; or his/her home life has become intolerable because of excessive drinking to arguments resulting from drinking.

IronFreakX is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BIGB
    I was just wondering what is the definition of an alcholic? bgecause i drink maybe ounce every 2 weeks hard but then theres my girlfriends parents who drink like 2 bottles a wine a night or my dad who will come home and have 2 or 3 drinks a night just wondering cause i am sitting here right now havin a rye and coke waitin for some buds to pick me up. Thanks for any replies.
    And to you college guys like me how often do you guys go hard saying more than 10 drinks in a night depending on who you are i know some will say thats nothing but you know what i mean.

L8r J.B.
    seriously be careful cuz u sound like i did a couple of months or a year ago and it didnt end well

needmorestrength is offline Anabolic Member
    Yea I think anyone who is dependant on it. Once you feel that you NEED it.. as in "oh what a stressful day I NEED a drink"... and of course theres those who in school get drunk and party every night, they become acustomed to being drunk all the time, it becomes part of their life

Prime is offline Naturally perfect
    i would say that 70% of the british population suffer from alcaholism in varying degrees. Britian is a booze nation, and buiseness is booming! I myself came pretty close to becoming what i would call a 'social' alcaholic, in the sense that i wouldnt feel comfortable if i was out with freinds and i diddnt have a drink in my hand. Maybe not a massive problem if you go out once a month, but if you are out 4-6 times a week then it soon starts to become one. I find it incredibly hard not to drink when i go out. If i even have one or two thats it im gone, the reigns are off and i start drinking. So i have a coke or a cordial so i have something to replace the booze. Works for me.

Thread Information