Thread: Worst Nightmare

hill8985 is offline Associate Member

Worst Nightmare

Ok, so when I was a sophmore in highschool I had to have hernia surgery. This kept me in bed for almost a month. The doctor told me that some guys are born with a condition where it is likely you will have a hernia in your lifetime. He also told me it was likely I would have another on the other side. Well it has been more than 5 years and he was right. The pains started up again and I have a doctors appointment for friday....I was just wondering if anyone here has had the surgery/and how long it took to recover. I had a new cycle to start in March It took me atleast a year to get the guts to go back into the gym last time.....This definately ruins my year....

stocky121 is offline VET~ Recognized Staff Winner - $100
    sorry to hear about that bro!

skiing is offline Associate Member
    what condition pre exposes you to this can you let me know. sorry for your troubles and good luck. this is for rex357 ski a great winter

It is when you are born your balls drop down through your intestines in some way, I'm no doctor, but the opening your balls drop down through the intestines sometimes doesnt close totally, therefore whenever they strain themselves there is still a slight opening from birth...this opening when strained can easily tear causing a hernia...So basically if your born like this, which you cant tell until you get a hernia, then your screwed

IronFreakX is offline Banned
    surgey to fix the problem itself not the hernia ne available?

Vanmuscle is offline Junior Member
    I feel your pain bro. I've had two inguinal hernias, one on each side. I had mine at 16 and then 17. Had the first one repaired traditionally where they make a large incision, go in and repair the hernia by tightening the muscles up around the hole between your intestines and your sac (don't know what it's called). It took 3 weeks before I was even able to do anything semi-active again.

Second time around, I had laproscopic surgery, which is much less invasive. They go in with tubes and cameras, etc. and repair it remotely while watching on tv. They do the same muscle repair but also install a mesh that supposedly provides less chance of re-occurence. That one was much easier to recover from (smaller incisisions, less trauma) and I was back to normal (including sports) activities in a couple weeks.

I haven't had re-occurence problems with either one, and it's been 14, 15 years.

The first time I had this problem, the doctor did put a mesh in to prevent it from reoccuring. I know it wasnt laproscopic though. That sounds alot better. I just don't want to be stuck in bed for 3 weeks. I will mention this to the surgeon. Thanks alot bro

Thread Information