Iowa is offline Banned

Just ordered a new scope and need some more opinions

Well fellas, I just ordered a Burris Signature Select Scope, 6-24X44mm, pallax adjustable with the ballistic mil dot reticle. Im pumped. Its going to go on my .204 (that I have yet to purchase.) Im torn between the Ruger Target model and the Savage Weather warrior. Im leaning towards the Savage. Any opinions from my shootin' bro's would be appreciated.

BTW, I'll have the gun and scope withing the next 2 weeks so Ill post a pic when I get everything.

Iowa is offline Banned
    bump

muff-chaser is offline Associate Member
    either one sounds good. i have heard alot of good things about the 204

Iowa is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by muff-chaser
    either one sounds good. i have heard alot of good things about the 204
    I just went looking again tonight and I cant decide!

Duck of Death is offline Associate Member
    ....In my experience, Savage makes a better and more reliable rifle than Ruger.

Mr.Magoo is offline Junior Member
    Shooter's Magazine put out a poll on the most accurate rifles. One of the top 5 was the Remington 700. It beat out some rifles that outpriced it by hundreds of dollars. A guy that comes into the gun store that I work at is a military sniper. He has three custom sniper guns that all use rem 700. The 204 is a cool round though. Very good varmint gun.

Swellin Guest
    I have the Ruger Target in a 22-250. It is topped with a Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24. The Ruger has an adjustable two stage trigger that is super sweet! I am a trigger nut, and this is the only Ruger to purchase. I can't get over the stigma associated with the Savage of old, so I simply don't want one. I somehow ended up with a Savage .222, but for the life of me...I can't figure out how or why.

I have just recently gotten the Ruger back from the manufacturer. The integral scope mounts were mis-aligned. They replaced my receiver and returned it in three weeks time. I have not completed the proper barrel break-in, but I have fired some test groups for a base line. I used off the shelf ammo, and this thing put most of what I fed it in the .4-.7" range. Once I get the barrel seasoned and find it's favorite ammo, I expect the groups to drop. I will then try some handloads and see where I can take it from there.

Here is a pic of the Ruger you mentioned....just in .22-250.

Iowa is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Swellin
    I have the Ruger Target in a 22-250. It is topped with a Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24. The Ruger has an adjustable two stage trigger that is super sweet! I am a trigger nut, and this is the only Ruger to purchase. I can't get over the stigma associated with the Savage of old, so I simply don't want one. I somehow ended up with a Savage .222, but for the life of me...I can't figure out how or why.

I have just recently gotten the Ruger back from the manufacturer. The integral scope mounts were mis-aligned. They replaced my receiver and returned it in three weeks time. I have not completed the proper barrel break-in, but I have fired some test groups for a base line. I used off the shelf ammo, and this thing put most of what I fed it in the .4-.7" range. Once I get the barrel seasoned and find it's favorite ammo, I expect the groups to drop. I will then try some handloads and see where I can take it from there.

Here is a pic of the Ruger you mentioned....just in .22-250.
    Thanks for the input Swellin. I really dont know too much about rifles as my knowledge lays mostly in bow/shotgun/muzzleloading. However, Ive been reading up a bit and the thing that makes me lean towards the Savage is the dual-pillar bedding of the stock. Is this over-rated or not? One thing I dont like about the Savage is how hideous they look.
    This is strictly going to be a varmint gun BTW so if you personally HAD to buy a 204 and could spend no more than $700(w/o optics), what would your top choices be?

Iowa is offline Banned
    Just bought the Ruger Target in .204 today. My scope should be here tomorrow so Ill mount it and then post a pic.

You're right about the 2 stage trigger Swellin. Feels very nice. Cant wait to shoot it.

Swellin Guest
    You can get a Remington for under $700 bucks, and they are top notch. Remington is making a light varmint that should fit your bill.....
    http://www.remington.com/firearms/ce...700vssf_II.htm

Weatherby has a sweet varmint rifle too, but not in .204 (and it is not quite in your price range...but much less than the list price on their site).
    http://www.weatherby.com/rifles/lw_svm.shtml

Here is another Remington....
    http://www.remington.com/firearms/centerfire/700vls.htm

I have this same rifle in 6mm. I have shot (only once) a 2.366" group at 400 yards with this rifle...using shelf ammo. I can routinely get sub MOA grouops at 400 yards with it, though. This rifle wears a Sheperd scope, but the thing looks similar to the Ruger.

As for the Savage, I can't stand them. They feel like crap to me, and they look even worse. Up until the last 5-6 years, they have not had the reputation for being accurate rifles. However, they now have that reputation. Savage has done a fine job of producing accurate rifles. I doubt I will ever own one though. I will stick with the other guys.

goodcents is offline "body piercing & body jewelry expert"
    I love savage rifles, except one thing, those cheap tupperware stocks. I will be replacing the stocks w/ Boyd laminated stocks when I get more money. Check out the Boyd gunstock website, they have stocks that are very neat and affordable, they provide most of the stocks for the gun companies. If don't reload already I would get started. Use either ramshot or hodgdon powder to get to factory speed and not vary as much as w748 at different temps. I really like the new 40gr. hornady bullet, the new sierra's were tested and they started coming apart at top velocity.

p.s. never buy bsa scopes, I have six and they are junk, replace them all this year ( cheap=cheap)

hung-solo is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by goodcents
    I love savage rifles, except one thing, those cheap tupperware stocks. I will be replacing the stocks w/ Boyd laminated stocks when I get more money. Check out the Boyd gunstock website, they have stocks that are very neat and affordable, they provide most of the stocks for the gun companies. If don't reload already I would get started. Use either ramshot or hodgdon powder to get to factory speed and not vary as much as w748 at different temps. I really like the new 40gr. hornady bullet, the new sierra's were tested and they started coming apart at top velocity.

p.s. never buy bsa scopes, I have six and they are junk, replace them all this year ( cheap=cheap)

dont waste your money on buying the stocks, imo.. go with the remington. they have been tested and proven for years and years. always consistant too! personally the best rifles for the $$

goodcents is offline "body piercing & body jewelry expert"
    Quote Originally Posted by hung-solo
    dont waste your money on buying the stocks, imo.. go with the remington. they have been tested and proven for years and years. always consistant too! personally the best rifles for the $$
    agreed, I already own these rifles ( .22/250 & .308") or I would buy a remington or ruger rifle, or a savage w/ laminated stock (would lean towards the first two)savage rifles= very accurate, not bad looking, but cheapo stocks.

Thread Information